Check out our new podcast

AKA
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Check out our new podcast

Post by AKA »

Julie G wrote:Hi friends! We've got a new podcast up, featuring the work of Dr. Dayan Goodenowe, that you can access here. Dr. Goodenowe takes a deep dive into his plasmalogen theory, how it impacts ApoE4 carriers, how we can estimate our levels (or directly check them), and various strategies we can use to increase plasmalogen. Every time I get a chance to talk with him, I learn something new. I highly recommend a listen. As with our last podcast, this was a group effort. Huge thanks to Marc and his wife, Theresa and Tincup.
Thank you to all those who worked to bring us this info! It was a mind-bender for me, I loved it! I have a question though, if you take the plasmalogen supplement, would you discontinue taking an Omega 3 supplement?
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Thank you to all those who worked to bring us this info! It was a mind-bender for me, I loved it! I have a question though, if you take the plasmalogen supplement, would you discontinue taking an Omega 3 supplement?
Great question! A small group of us, who supported Dr. Goodenowe and got early access to the supplement, struggled with this. Dr. G reports that his starting dose (2mL) is equivalent to 500mg of DHA, but it’s purported to be considerably more bio-available. Based on this, I decided to continue additional supplementation of DHA because I previously targeted 1,000mg.
AKA
Support Team
Support Team

Post by AKA »

Ah, very good....thank you, Julie! I am eager to hear about the small group's experience and experiment with it myself :)
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

AKA wrote:if you take the plasmalogen supplement, would you discontinue taking an Omega 3 supplement?
I'm in the small group and Gundry likes our Omega 3 index high. Mine was a bit high at 17.9 in Nov. I can tell when I'm taking a little too much (from all sources) as the bruising on my arms (they take a lot of abuse from workouts & rock climbing) look like someone on a high dose of warfarin (blood thinner) . I back off then.
Tincup
E3,E4
AKA
Support Team
Support Team

Post by AKA »

Thanks, Tincup! I need to do a little more homework on this one. Did the high Omega 3 index change your blood sugars?
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

AKA wrote:Thanks, Tincup! I need to do a little more homework on this one. Did the high Omega 3 index change your blood sugars?
Nope, though mine are pretty low all the time - I've been keto adapted since Oct 2009. However my diet is not "standard keto (lots or carbs & fiber, zero processed food, modest protein)." We've linked transcripts of our 9 Gundry consults here, as well as labs and generally how we eat in our notes to Gundry. The carbs in my diet are usually in the low 100's, but can range up to 200g/day. My morning serum ketones are usually in the 0.4-1.0 mmol/L and glucose is in the 70's or 80's (mg/dL). I periodically water fast for 5 or more days and glucose will drop into the 50's and ketones are in the 4-7 mmol/L range, though I have pegged the meter, going above its 8.0 max. I've never unadapted since '09. I think of myself like a car hybrid - dual or multi fuel - at will.
Tincup
E3,E4
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Thank you! Great work. I'd sure like to hear more about resistance exercise increasing plasmalogens when you have him back :) I also need Julie to give me voice lessons.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Tincup wrote:
AKA wrote:if you take the plasmalogen supplement, would you discontinue taking an Omega 3 supplement?
I'm in the small group and Gundry likes our Omega 3 index high. Mine was a bit high at 17.9 in Nov. I can tell when I'm taking a little too much (from all sources) as the bruising on my arms (they take a lot of abuse from workouts & rock climbing) look like someone on a high dose of warfarin (blood thinner) . I back off then.
So I can skip paying for omega 3 index tests and whack myself with a knife honer once in a while. I like that! :lol: ;)
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
AKA
Support Team
Support Team

Post by AKA »

Tincup wrote: Nope, though mine are pretty low all the time - I've been keto adapted since Oct 2009. However my diet is not "standard keto (lots or carbs & fiber, zero processed food, modest protein)." We've linked transcripts of our 9 Gundry consults here, as well as labs and generally how we eat in our notes to Gundry. The carbs in my diet are usually in the low 100's, but can range up to 200g/day. My morning serum ketones are usually in the 0.4-1.0 mmol/L and glucose is in the 70's or 80's (mg/dL). I periodically water fast for 5 or more days and glucose will drop into the 50's and ketones are in the 4-7 mmol/L range, though I have pegged the meter, going above its 8.0 max. I've never unadapted since '09. I think of myself like a car hybrid - dual or multi fuel - at will.
Thanks for all the info Tincup, I love your dual fuel approach :D
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

I agree that bruising is a very good sign that omega-3s are too high. FWIW, Dr. Bredesen agrees with Dr. Gundry that E4 carriers need higher levels of omega-3s. For E4s, he recommends ≥10% on the omega-3 Index, but he worries about getting blood too thin. For instance, in the new book, he recommends an omega-6 to omega-3 ratio goal between 1:1 to 4:1 with the caution that <0.5:1 may be associated with bleeding disorders. Additionally, Dr. Bredesen continues to worry about 4/4 men in particular, especially those with a family history of hemorrhagic stroke, taking too much —or indeed ANY— fish oil. He recommends that those who fall into this small subset get an MRI with a microhemorrhage sequence (MP-RAGE) to determine whether any indication of early, unrecognized bleeding has occurred which is likely a sign ofcerebral amyloid angiopathy (CAA). He's finding early signs of CAA in healthy, cognitively normal, 4/4 men. For this group, he recommends zero fish oil, but plenty of actual fish to achieve the omega-3 index goal.
I also need Julie to give me voice lessons.
Ha, I know I sound like a dork. I'm working very hard to get over myself and focus on getting good info out there. That's the beauty of a community podcast. Any of us can host.