WARNING re. Aricept (Donepezil)

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: WARNING re. Aricept (Donepezil)

Post by Julie G »

Bettylacy, I completely agree that this underscores the importance of personalized medicine. When you log into 23andMe, click on tools and chose "Browse Raw Data." Enter the desired snip. If it was covered by the chip that was used at the time, you may get your allele results.

Excellent diagram, Susan. No doubt the pathway and reaction will be different for us all. FWIW, in researching choline supplementation, I find many references to it's stimulant-like properties, such as this one, but appreciate your more detailed explanation and understand effects are likely individualized.
This supplement has also been shown to increase the density of dopamine receptor neurons which may lead to mood enhancing benefits. CDP Choline even has a stimulant-like effect and has been used successfully by people with ADD and ADHD.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Even taking just choline does the same thing for me. Fascinating how we all react differently. Definitely an N=1.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

Susan, you guessed it, another rs9001AA. I rarely take a half-dose of choline bitartrate (Harrison's Country Life brand) , since I've increased my runny pastured egg consumption You are our mechanism of action illustrator with references. My lowered Hcy (12.6 to now hovering under 6) has been reconfirmed to the liquid TMG capsule and substituting non-dairy yogurt.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Is there a good study confirming that the choline in cooked egg yolk (ie not runny) is destroyed? I know people refer to it but how bad do I have to feel if
I overcook them. I don't like completely runny eggs but do okay with the outside of the yolk cooked and the inside runny. Am I oxidizing the cholesterol too?
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Post by MarcR »

I dove into this recently when I saw the lightly cooked eggs depicted in Julie's personal protocol slide deck. My conclusion from about 15 minutes of googling around is that any loss is negligible - 10% or less. I could find no non-hearsay source for the belief that cooking eggs destroys choline.

Interestingly, the USDA databases show that cooked eggs have more choline by weight than raw. Of course, that's because of evaporation! :-)
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Everything old is new again ;). I actually got tidbit that from RichardS (?) from a thread devoted to the subject a while back. Frustratingly, our search engine is pulling up a blank... but I'll poke around further. FWIW, I can't find definitive peer reviewed evidence either. I suspect the protection to choline from not overcooking is probably real, but minimal. I'm revamping that portion of myPower Point protocol to delve more deeply into the "How-To" of ketosis for an upcoming talk. I may just delete that so as not to discourage folks from eating eggs.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

Possibly another rationale for undercooked yolks is to prevent the loss of heat-sensitive lutein & zeaxanthin and oxidizing cholesterol.
deliot
New User
New User

Post by deliot »

Greetings everyone, my sister Sally was diagnosed with unspecified dementia. Almost certainly Alzheimer's as our mom had it. Sally is 72. Her memory is deteriorating pretty darn quick. Our primary doctor recently prescribed Aricept for her and from what I'm reading, I can confidently say I'm on the fence. Should she get tested for those BChE-K genes, and whatever other bogeymen they may have found more recently concerning Aricept? And if so where could I find that test. And should I go ahead and order the Apoe4 genetic test from the Alsheimer's organization to start with? https://www.alzheimersorganization.org/alzheimers-test

Thanks for your time and assistance : )

Dave
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

deliot wrote:Greetings everyone, my sister Sally was diagnosed with unspecified dementia. Almost certainly Alzheimer's as our mom had it. Sally is 72. Her memory is deteriorating pretty darn quick. Our primary doctor recently prescribed Aricept for her and from what I'm reading, I can confidently say I'm on the fence. Should she get tested for those BChE-K genes, and whatever other bogeymen they may have found more recently concerning Aricept? And if so where could I find that test. And should I go ahead and order the Apoe4 genetic test from the Alsheimer's organization to start with? https://www.alzheimersorganization.org/alzheimers-test

Thanks for your time and assistance : )

Dave
Hi Dave, Whether or not your sister should be rested for BCHE-K is something I cannot weigh in on. I have not been following any link between that and problems with Aricept. I know that IntellXXDNA includes BCHE in their testing. There is an interesting Podcast with the founder of IntellXXDNA that you can listen to by clicking on “Podcasts” near top of page. From what I’ve heard, finding a practitioner who orders the IntelleXXDNA test is not easy. (There are most likely other ways to get BCHE tested, but I don’t know about them.) Running raw data from an ancestry test like 23&Me through Promethease may also give you info on that SNP and would cost much less.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
deliot
New User
New User

Post by deliot »

Hi FloraMaria, Thanks for the prompt response. I now see that I used the Quick reply box. I guess I really should read the newbie forum section : ) which I will do. Probably.

As for the BCHE-K thing, I see that I was not on the page I thought I was on when I first posted my query.

Here's where I read about Aricept and and BCHE-K and this is the page I thought I was posting to: viewtopic.php?t=2965

I pasted the relevant excerpt from the above page below:
WARNING re. Aricept (Donepezil)

Postby Julie G » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:05 pm
WOW. A new warning has been issued for Aricept (Donepezil.) Apparently, it can ACCELERATE cognitive decline in E4+ folks with a specific genetic variation. If you or a loved one is taking or considering this medication, get tested first. Here’s the Paper:

Butyrylcholinesterase K and Apolipoprotein E-ɛ4 Reduce the Age of Onset of Alzheimer’s Disease, Accelerate Cognitive Decline, and Modulate Donepezil Response in Mild Cognitively Impaired Subjects
http://content.iospress.com/articles/jo ... /jad160373

Thanks again.