Designing an E4 Fasting trial...

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: Designing an E4 Fasting trial...

Postby Tincup » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:35 am

I'd clipped these from one of Longo's patents & I know the protein is vegan for IGF-1 & TOR reasons. I didn't clip it but they do show how they adjust for weight lower than 180#'s and greater than 200#'s.

Screen Shot 2017-05-08 at 1.16.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-05-08 at 1.19.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-05-08 at 1.19.31 PM.png

Gilgamesh wrote:Hey apod. Yeah, I'm going to crank up the protein (and, a bit, carbs) for the next few days, and definitely emphasize resistance training (was doing that during the fast, actually).

I'm still plowing through Longo's work. Uncertain about how to do the "immune-rebuilding" part of the diet. I'm not sure he knows, since the work is still so new. But 4–5 days of higher protein intake seems like a good idea.

I'm also adding extra protein and starchy carbs on my refeed. In fact the last cycle I added some whey protein for the first 4 or so days of the refeed, though my hunger wasn't any different.

I continue to do resistance training during both the fasting and the refeeding phase. Fasting day 5 of my 4th cycle today. Also my blood pressure was 90/52 this morning.

I was at a dinner party Wednesday (yes, I was fasting). One lady had recently done a five day fast. She had a long history of gum disease. She noted that her gums were much tighter during/after the fast. I've been a very rapid plaque former for over ten years. Since I've been doing my fasting cycles, my tongue didn't feel any plaque. After her comment I went looking for plaque with a tooth scaler in the "usual" places. I couldn't find any. I go in for a scheduled teeth cleaning on Tuesday. We'll see what the hygienist says. I've been having to get them cleaned every 3-4 months. It would be nice to go to every 6 months like most people.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tincup
E3,E4

Tincup
Mod
Mod

Postby Tincup » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:29 pm

So your blood sugar is 31 mg/dL (1.7 mmol/L), what are you supposed to do? a) nothing, b ) eat some sugar OR c ) go to the gym and do a super slow to failure workout (Fred Hahn, Doug McGuff, Body by Science), beat your last time under load on the exercises by an average of 84% then do a Tabata set (8 reps of 20 seconds max effort with 10 seconds rest) on the Concept 2 fan rower and set a new PR at 968 m for 4 minutes. I chose c) Of course it was my 5th day of fasting on my 4th fasting/refeeding cycle, and my serum ketones were at 6.2 mmol/L.

IMG_2637.JPG

IMG_2638.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tincup
E3,E4

Julie G
Mod
Mod

Postby Julie G » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:32 pm

Whoa!!!

Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Stavia » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:01 pm

respect!

Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Gilgamesh » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:20 am

Wow, George, amazing! You rock!

Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Gilgamesh » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:50 am

GeorgeN wrote:Of course it was my 5th day of fasting on my 4th fasting/refeeding cycle
George, how long have you waited between fasting cycles?

Tincup
Mod
Mod

Postby Tincup » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:49 am

Gilgamesh wrote:
GeorgeN wrote:Of course it was my 5th day of fasting on my 4th fasting/refeeding cycle
George, how long have you waited between fasting cycles?

Details are here. In short, as I eat 1x/day, if I skip 4 meals it turns into a 120 hour (5 day) fast. So I (sort of randomly & seemed to be something like what they were doing with the rodents) chose to eat 10 meals (10 days) and skip 4. My goal is to return my weight to approximately what it was pre-fast. As I recall in the rodent cancer chemo/fast/refeed study (where they were fasting them - not fasting mimicking diet), that was the standard for the rodents before they fasted them again. I have been adding more animal protein (whey & eggs) & resistant starch especially during the first few days of the refeed to stimulate IGF-1 & TOR and hopefully the stem cells.

Don't recall if I posted this before. I've been a rapid plaque former for 10+ years and get my teeth cleaned every 3-4 months. Usually the plaque is evident 4 or so weeks after a cleaning. I'm going in for a cleaning on Tuesday (last one in Feb). I can't find any plaque in the "usual" places. We'll see what the hygienist says. If she has the same impression I do, my assumption is the fasting/refeeding has changed my mouth biome for the better. The dentist hygienist and the dentist only think about the "nuclear" option for the bugs - kill them all. I've talked to them about this.
Tincup
E3,E4

Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Gilgamesh » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:11 am

Wow, so you're fasting much more often than one would following Longo's protocol. Of course, his recommendations are influenced to a great degree but what he thinks would be doable by most people.

G

Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Stavia » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:31 pm

I'm about to start a second 5 day cycle in 4 weeks.
Longo based his assessment of what people in his lab team and himself could manage. Not exactly a wide sample.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby SusanJ » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:38 pm

"My goal is to return my weight to approximately what it was pre-fast."

George, Stavia, how much weight do you lose during a fast? (% of total?)

Return to “Science and Research”