Associations of protein and fiber with Amyloid-β

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Associations of protein and fiber with Amyloid-β

Post by SusanJ »

And it's not what you might expect. Did anyone else see this one from Australia?

Don't know the average age, and we've talked about the risk of sarcopenia with older adults not getting enough protein. This is the first time I see it related to Aβ burden.

Associations of Dietary Protein and Fiber Intake with Brain and Blood Amyloid-β
...this cross-sectional study, investigated the association of self-reported dietary intakes of protein and fiber, with plasma and brain Aβ burden (n = 541, and n = 162 respectively), in a well-characterized cohort of cognitively normal older adults, drawn from the larger Australian Imaging, Biomarkers and Lifestyle (AIBL) study of aging. We observed 12.59 and 8.43 higher odds of ‘high’ brain Aβ burden (PiB PET SUVR≥1.5) if protein intake fell in the lowest and middle tertile, respectively, compared to the highest tertile (p = 0.008; p = 0.013). Thus, in this cohort, the more protein consumed, the less likelihood of ‘high’ Aβ burden in the brain. No other significant associations were observed.
https://content.iospress.com/articles/j ... /jad170742
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Associations of protein and fiber with Amyloid-β

Post by Julie G »

Just saw it myself! I'm not sure what to make of it either. I want to read full-text...
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

I'm truly not completely suprised. I don't feel well on protein restriction.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Stavia, you know I don't either. I've upped mine recently because I can't keep weight on right now and I don't want to fall into that sarcopenia category. :?
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

Interesting. Yes, I was just reading Dr Van de Longo's book about fasting mimicking diets where you restrict protein for a few days maybe twice a year, but then otherwise have moderate protein. He talks about people as they get older needing more food in general and not being as restrictive. So I am thinking of trying this (not with the expensive ProLon foods though,) as a way of dealing with the "low protein helps MTOR, low protein can lead to other problems" issue.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Orangeblossom wrote:as a way of dealing with the "low protein helps MTOR, low protein can lead to other problems" issue.
It's all an exquisite balancing act, isn't it Orange?
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

SusanJ wrote:
Orangeblossom wrote:as a way of dealing with the "low protein helps MTOR, low protein can lead to other problems" issue.
It's all an exquisite balancing act, isn't it Orange?

Yes, it can be quite challenging trying to get a balance in these things, can't it. I'm starting to find, that looking for the 'right' answer isn't always helpful, but instead maybe trying things and seeing how they help me and how it feels. We are all individual after all. Maybe going with the flow about and not trying to control everything- we can't. It needs to be a compromise, anything too restrictive might be harmful to health in other ways and also stressful both physically and mentally to maintain. And we need to be kind to ourselves and look after ourselves, as well. ;)
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Off to do my paradox dance! :lol:
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Fiver »

I haven't scaled the paywall yet. But I wonder if those eating low protein were eating more sugars or bad fats. I mean, in the end people need to eat *something* and without some training and effort it's likely to be added sugars and at least some bad fats. I'll look to see if/how the study addressed that....
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

Tom wrote:I haven't scaled the paywall yet. But I wonder if those eating low protein were eating more sugars or bad fats. I mean, in the end people need to eat *something* and without some training and effort it's likely to be added sugars and at least some bad fats. I'll look to see if/how the study addressed that....
Yes, I thought the same. It may be more about what they weren't eating, especially as it wasn't just about protein but fibre as well.