Vitamin D from the sun is best

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
SunnySideUp
Contributor
Contributor

Vitamin D from the sun is best

Post by SunnySideUp »

A nice example of journalistic reporting from Outside Magazine (online). I for one will be spending more time outside free of sunscreen or clothing! (Ok, I'll still wear a hat and will keep it short). :lol:

Quote from article: There are not many daily lifestyle choices that double your risk of dying. In a 2016 study published in the Journal of Internal Medicine, Lindqvist’s team put it in perspective: “Avoidance of sun exposure is a risk factor of a similar magnitude as smoking, in terms of life expectancy. ”There are not many daily lifestyle choices that double your risk of dying.
https://www.outsideonline.com/2380751/s ... er-science
Last edited by SunnySideUp on Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Re: Vitamin D from the sun is best

Post by TheresaB »

My husband and I try to spend as much time outside as possible, unprotected from the sun - no sunscreen, no hat, no sunglasses, etc. We live in Colorado, so most days we have direct sunshine, few clouds. Nevertheless, we both seem to need to supplement with Vitamin D to get adequate levels. On the bright side, my husband is light skinned and he's said that he thinks it's because of his now high Vitamin D level that he doesn't burn anymore.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
kattoups
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kattoups »

Vitamin D from the sun is wonderful, and will help your mood and many other things.

But we evolved to extract sufficient vitamin D at the equator. Unless you live at the equator, and spend a lot of time relatively unclothed there, you will likely have a vitamin D deficiency.

I definitely recommend spending time in the sun – it will improve your endorphins and give you a vitamin D boost.

But I really suggest you measure your vitamin D levels and supplement appropriately to keep your levels between 50 and 80.

The risk of dementia is increased by 75% if your vitamin D level is less than 30, and 125% if your vitamin D level is less than 20.

I have tested many hundreds of patients over the last decade. I have only found two patients with adequate vitamin D levels that were not supplementing.

One of them was a swimming instructor in San Diego. She was outdoors in the water and in the sun all year round. But she told me she still needed to supplement in the winter.

The other patient had an unusual genetic mutation that gave her very high levels of vitamin D without supplementation. No one could figure out why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

SunnySideUp wrote:A nice example of journalistic reporting from Outside Magazine (online). I for one will be spending more time outside free of sunscreen or clothing! (Ok, I'll still wear a hat and will keep it short). :lol: [/url]
thanks for posting this, SunnysideUp. Very interesting. As someone who did burn horribly in my early childhood, and thus at higher risk of melanoma,I have been avoiding direct sun exposure for 40 On the advice of dermatologists, I´ve been Slathering on sunscreen, wearing sunblock clothing and hats.

This article brings up a lot of interesting points and I will be considering at least some early morning sunshine to my bare skin.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
shalmar
New User
New User

Post by shalmar »

Living in the Midlands of England, I always burned and peeled. Always used sunscreen. When I went Low carb and cut out grains and vegetable oils about 8 years ago, I found I could go out in the sun and not burn. I never use sunscreen any more and get out in the sun as often as possible. I never peel any more. Even if I over do it - particularly on holidays overseas, and get a bit red from too long in intense sun, I don't peel like I used to.
SamNZ
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SamNZ »

kattoups wrote:Vitamin D from the sun is wonderful, and will help your mood and many other things.
Welcome kattoups to our community,
Thanks so much for your input, as a fair skinned lass with vitiligo I am always cautious in the sun but avoid sunscreens where possible as believe they can do as much harm some times. Taking high doses of Vit D at the moment so will be curious to see any change next time I get out into the sun.

I see you have been a member of our community for a few months now and imagine that you have found the Primer full of great information. For more specific questions head to the Wiki page or search in the forums. We would love to know more about what brought you here.
Thanking you again for your input and the vitamin D stats, I'm doing a talk to a local Alzheimers group soon and as mid winter here could be a good time to bring it up!! Happy sunbathing, SamNZ
Samantha McBride
SamNZ
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SamNZ »

shalmar wrote:Living in the Midlands of England, I always burned and peeled. Always used sunscreen. When I went Low carb and cut out grains and vegetable oils about 8 years ago, .
Welcome shalmar to our community,
Thanks so much for your input, as a former midlander, fair skinned lass with vitiligo I too have always burned and peeled. Very interested in how your diet had helped this as my diet is moving much the same way.

I see you have been a member of our community for a month, I hope that you have found the Primer full of great information. For more specific questions head to the Wiki page or search in the forums. We would love to know more about what brought you here, it would be great if you could introduce you on the Our Stories area in the forum. Welcome again, SamNZ
Samantha McBride
SamNZ
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SamNZ »

shalmar wrote:Living in the Midlands of England, I always burned and peeled. Always used sunscreen. When I went Low carb and cut out grains and vegetable oils about 8 years ago, .
Welcome shalmar to our community,
Thanks so much for your input, as a former midlander, fair skinned lass with vitiligo I too have always burned and peeled. Very interested in how your diet had helped this as my diet is moving much the same way.

I see you have been a member of our community for a month, I hope that you have found the Primer full of great information. For more specific questions head to the Wiki page or search in the forums. We would love to know more about what brought you here, it would be great if you could introduce you on the Our Stories area in the forum. Welcome again, SamNZ
Samantha McBride
Torimintz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Torimintz »

I am of irish ancestry, reddish hair, blue eyes, rarely tan even a bit, and get freckly... WELL... OMG...
listen to this!!!

I did keto for several months to get my blood sugar insulin in check, lost 15 pounds, and then slowly introduced back some grains and healthy carbs. But the big thing that I did was take VITAMIN D, VITAMIN C, and 24mg daily of ASTAXANTHIN and a beta-carotene supplement too!

WOW!!! I have a dark tan now and very few freckles, my skin doesn't every burn, I only wear sunscreen on my chest, shoulders, upper back, face and neck... I am in SHOCK!

I am WHITE as a ghost... yet this Irish red head with blue eyes has a TAN! I can't believe that the world doesn't know about this! Astaxanthin is the main key to this... it is what makes flamingos PINK!
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

SunnySideUp wrote:“Avoidance of sun exposure is a risk factor of a similar magnitude as smoking, in terms of life expectancy. ”There are not many daily lifestyle choices that double your risk of dying.
https://www.outsideonline.com/2380751/s ... er-science
Great article!

Where do sunbeds lie in this debate, I wonder?
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60