apoe4 children have lower IQ`s ?

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Veero
Contributor
Contributor

Re: apoe4 children have lower IQ`s ?

Post by Veero »

52 y/0 4/4 here and graduated from veterinary medical school when I was 24 because I was able to advance to college a year early from HS and advance a year early from university and got in on my first try into vet med school. Have an advanced board certification too. A’s much of the way. Had been in a poor, rural area for all of HS with very limited economic resources. Living with divorced mother, but parents highly scientifically interested and artistically inclined but had little formal advanced education. Very introverted and loved to read and learn so perhaps maybe that filled in the gaps?FWIW.
hairyfairy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by hairyfairy »

I saw an interview with a well known British actor some years ago, & he told about how he discovered that he failed his 11 plus because the examiners nobbled him. They knew that he was smart enough to pass, but because of his class they didn`t want him in grammar school. This made me wonder if that`s what happened in my case. When I took the exam, it didn`t seem that difficult.
aphorist
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by aphorist »

del
Last edited by aphorist on Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Saskia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Saskia »

One extra date point. Female 4/4 here, with MSc in computer science, mathematics and formal logic. And I speak 7 languages. Have two kids, each necessarily with at least one E4, both of which are absolutely thriving across topics in school [/disgusting brag]

However, our joint education levels are probably not representative of the entire population. It takes a lot of desire to do research and ability to digest complex material to make any sense of this forum :)
Last edited by Saskia on Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:58 am, edited 4 times in total.
45 years old, E4/E4 and strangely no AD in (large) family. Mother (73 yo) E4/E4, father (87 yo) E4/E3, both symptom free. Recently started 16h fasts, taking resveratrol/B12/curcumin/krill oil/folic acid. Working on minimizing sugar & refined carbs
Saskia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Saskia »

hairyfairy wrote:This made me wonder if that`s what happened in my case. When I took the exam, it didn`t seem that difficult.
Indeed. There are many reasons people don't get into the educational streams they expect/hope to get into. There's a lot of prejudice, bias, unfairness in this world.
45 years old, E4/E4 and strangely no AD in (large) family. Mother (73 yo) E4/E4, father (87 yo) E4/E3, both symptom free. Recently started 16h fasts, taking resveratrol/B12/curcumin/krill oil/folic acid. Working on minimizing sugar & refined carbs
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

This was just published, 07 February 2020 Genetic Burden for Late-Life Neurodegenerative Disease and Its Association With Early-Life Lipids, Brain, Behavior, and Cognition. The researchers collected blood samples, MRIs, and conducted non-verbal IQ and educational attainment assessments in children from age 6 to 11 with a sample size per analysis that varied between 1,641 and 3,650 children.
Results: We did not find evidence that APOE genotype or the polygenic scores impact on childhood nonverbal intelligence, educational attainment, internalizing behavior, and global brain structural measures including total brain volume and whole brain fractional anisotropy (all p > 0.05).
Conclusion: We found no evidence that genetic burden for late-life neurodegenerative diseases associates with early-life cognition, internalizing behavior, or global brain structure.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
anotherdreamer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by anotherdreamer »

I'm not so sure about that. I feel like I'm going brain dead lately, but when I was in school I typically tested in the upper 95th percentile in most subjects.
roxanne
Contributor
Contributor

Post by roxanne »

I grew up poor in an environment of abuse (physical, emotional) to my brothers, and (emotional ) to me from one parent, but with the love, concern and affection of the other. Went to a school of well-to-do children with sufficient nutrition and no worries that allowed these children to do well. I lived in constant terror that something terrible was going to happen, to others or myself, at home. One day in hebrew class the teacher asked me to stand up and told the class that I was the perfect example of a loser and not to be emulated. I was devastated at 7 years old. That afternoon when I got home I enrolled my smart older brother to teach me everything he knew. I was going to show her who I was. The next day the teacher asked me to get up to answer questions related to the homework she gave the previous day. I answered everything correctly. She thought someone did the work for me. From that day on she stopped humiliating me. Now at 64 years old, I am fluent in 4 languages, I work for the inventor of MRI, I have had 2 careers, one in the Travel and Tourism Industry another in the medical field, I hold a diploma from the Sorbonne in Paris in French Language and Civilization, an Undergraduate in Psychology from the USA, and live with dignity having overcome many obstacles and problems due to the emotional abuse I endured. I might get dementia one day but when I was young I wasn't less intelligent than APOe3 kids. FWIW.

Roxane
Trevor
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Trevor »

To add in, I'm 35 and a 4/4 and was always at or near the top of my class, put in the gifted programs, trivia wiz, all of that. I took an IQ test around a decade ago and I think it was right around 130 (I'm scared to take another now). And reading everyone here, it seems like I'm pretty far on the dumb end of the spectrum when it comes to APOE4.info posters and their careers and degrees and all sorts of things.

Now, could that be because people that take genetic tests and then research and seek out communities like this are more likely to be eggheads? Sure. But that still proves it's possible to be a 3/4 or 4/4 and be plenty smart.

In my experience, unless you have a heavy-duty learning disability, most differences in everyday intelligence aren't about how smart you can be as much as how long it takes you to get there. A "naturally" clever person might be able to learn a concept significantly quicker than someone else, but often the average or below average person can get to the exact same place, it just takes them more time. They might have to read a chapter an extra time to understand all of it, get an extra lesson, practice something a bit more, etc. That's one reason why it's important to try to find pursuits you're really interested in: If it's something you like doing, you'll put the time in that it takes to get great, no matter if you're gifted or average or a little slow.
Mitrofan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Mitrofan »

Well, I read the opposite, too, that APOE4 may represent an example of antagonistic pleiotropy. -that was a new word I learned :) -

here is the paper:
https://zenpatient.com/blog/dr-rhonda-p ... lzheimers/

snippet
...APOE4 is associated with better cognition and intelligence early in life but earlier declines as we age (an example of antagonistic pleiotropy).
You can google "antagonistic pleiotropy apoe4"