Dr. Gundry on biomarkers after COVID vaccines

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Whatnow
Contributor
Contributor

Re: ApoE4/4 may have greater risk of COVID brain microvascular injury and neuroinflammation

Post by Whatnow »

I recently saw elsewhere a link to an article or report from Dr Gundry in the journal Circulation reporting that in his patients he had seen a significant increase in cardiac and endothelium inflammatory markers post vaccination with mRNA COVID vaccines. This is kind of disturbing. Have any of his patients who are part of this forum heard from him about this? Do you know if he has seen similar increases in these markers from patients who've had and recovered from COVID?
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: ApoE4/4 may have greater risk of COVID brain microvascular injury and neuroinflammation

Post by circular »

I found Dr. Gundry’s abstract here.
Abstract
Our group has been using the PLUS Cardiac Test (GD Biosciences, Inc, Irvine, CA) a clinically validated measurement of multiple protein biomarkers which generates a score predicting the 5 yr risk (percentage chance) of a new Acute Coronary Syndrome (ACS). The score is based on changes from the norm of multiple protein biomarkers including IL-16, a proinflammatory cytokine, soluble Fas, an inducer of apoptosis, and Hepatocyte Growth Factor (HGF)which serves as a marker for chemotaxis of T-cells into epithelium and cardiac tissue, among other markers. Elevation above the norm increases the PULS score, while decreases below the norm lowers the PULS score.The score has been measured every 3-6 months in our patient population for 8 years. Recently, with the advent of the mRNA COVID 19 vaccines (vac) by Moderna and Pfizer, dramatic changes in the PULS score became apparent in most patients.This report summarizes those results. A total of 566 pts, aged 28 to 97, M:F ratio 1:1 seen in a preventive cardiology practice had a new PULS test drawn from 2 to 10 weeks following the 2nd COVID shot and was compared to the previous PULS score drawn 3 to 5 months previously pre- shot. Baseline IL-16 increased from 35=/-20 above the norm to 82 =/- 75 above the norm post-vac; sFas increased from 22+/- 15 above the norm to 46=/-24 above the norm post-vac; HGF increased from 42+/-12 above the norm to 86+/-31 above the norm post-vac. These changes resulted in an increase of the PULS score from 11% 5 yr ACS risk to 25% 5 yr ACS risk. At the time of this report, these changes persist for at least 2.5 months post second dose of vac.We conclude that the mRNA vacs dramatically increase inflammation on the endothelium and T cell infiltration of cardiac muscle and may account for the observations of increased thrombosis, cardiomyopathy, and other vascular events following vaccination.
Just for the sake of providing a bit of context, this is an abstract given at a conference rather than the abstract of a peer reviewed paper. But presumably conferences feature such abstracts for a reason, while not all peer reviewed work is well designed.

Since I got my booster yesterday maybe I’ll run some inflammation labs in a month or so. I’m still grateful for the protection from Covid, which I think I’m vulnerable to not only because of apoe4 but also a bum homozygous CR1 SNP that’s also implicated in AD and normally quells the complement immune response that can go wild with Covid.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Quantifier
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Quantifier »

Whatnow wrote:I recently saw elsewhere a link to an article or report from Dr Gundry in the journal Circulation reporting that in his patients he had seen a significant increase in cardiac and endothelium inflammatory markers post vaccination with mRNA COVID vaccines.
How long did the increase last? It is probably temporary, and that kind of thing is common with vaccines in general. I had my second vaccine in February. In September I had my hs-CRP measured, and it was 0.4 mg/L. I have never seen it so low! So if I had any rise in inflammation following the vaccine it went away. Another thing I can say is that my resting heart rate (as measured by my Fitbit) was not noticeably changed by any of the 3 doses of the Covid-19 vaccine, nor by the annual flu shot, however it did go up for several days in a row when I got the first dose of the shingles vaccine. (Another thing that raised my resting heart rate for several days was eating fried foods for several days in a row last Hanukkah. Bye-bye traditional Hanukkah foods.) So I really doubt I suffered any cardiac damage from any of the Covid doses.

OK, I just saw circular's post - Gundry doesn't report hs-CRP so I can't compare. Can those cardio-inflammatory markers rise without also raising hs-CRP?
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Quantifier wrote:Can those cardio-inflammatory markers rise without also raising hs-CRP?
If I had to take a wild uneducated guess, I would guess yes. It seems like there are so many different inflammatory molecules and that inflammation is more like a … symphony? … with sometimes only certain sections playing and other times all sections playing. I see it as incredibly complex, probably more complex than a symphony. I welcome more scientific feedback on my pretty picture.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Still thinking … I keep hearing from doctors that hsCRP only pertains to vessel inflammation, though I still wonder if that’s true. If it is, then maybe we should expect hsCRP to go up with Gundry’s markers if what he observes holds up under peer review scrutiny. I fear that, as with his lectin/adiponectin conference abstract, no one will pick up the ball and pursue it with rigorous peer reviewed studies, but with so many people potentially affected, maybe someone will this time?
xactly
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by xactly »

I sailed through the first two doses of the Pfizer vaccine. No detectable response whatsoever. I got the annual flu vaccine on Sept. 22, and my temperature rose 2 degrees C the next night. (I wear an Oura ring and Apple Watch when I sleep.) The elevated temperature came down to about 0.6 degrees C above baseline and continued that way for four days. I didn't feel particularly bad, so I shrugged it off.

Three weeks later, on Oct. 12, I got a Pfizer booster shot. On Oct. 18, my nighttime temperature shot up 2.8 C above baseline. My absolute temperature the next day was 103.1 F. My lowest resting heart rate escalated from 48 bpm to 70 bpm, my HRV tanked, and my average respiratory rate rose from 16 BrPM to 19.5. I started taking extra-strength Tylenol to bring down the fever, but I pretty much slept and felt awful for three days. I took a PCR Covid test, and it came back negative.

It took 10 days from the onset of the fever for my resting heart rate, HRV and nighttime baseline temperature to return to normal. (I stopped running a measurable daytime fever after four days on the Tylenol regimen.)

I don't know what to make of this experience. I suspect my APOE4 variant played a role in the excessive immune response, but I also think the relatively short amount of time between the flu shot and the COVID booster may have aggravated the situation. (I was also in ketosis during this time period, and I don't know if this played any part in the inflammatory response.) I haven't run an hsCRP test, so I don't know if there is any ongoing vessel inflammation.
Quantifier
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Quantifier »

Just had my second (and last) shingles vaccine - nighttime temperature up 2 degrees C (Oura) and resting heart rate is way up, but I feel OK. I just checked - that low hsCRP measurement came less than a month after the first dose of the shingles vaccine (which also caused fever and noticeable increase in resting heart rate), so I'm not worried this time around either.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Dr. Gundry on biomarkers after COVID vaccines

Post by Tincup »

circular wrote:I found Dr. Gundry’s abstract here.
My 4/4 wife & I are Gundry patients and have had a fair number of PULS tests. Many things can drive changes in the tests. In our case, adding in A2 milk upped my wifes IL-16 by a factor of 10 and doubled (? from memory) my IL-16. These dropped back to baseline after we stopped consuming. 14 months ago, I had an infected root canal tooth pulled and an implant placed. This also materially increased my markers. We have not repeated the test (or had a consult) this last year as we continued to do things that we knew increased inflammation, including the MRNA COVID vax series and more recently a booster.

As to ApoE4 in his sample, he's told us that his patient population at least the same % of ApoE4's as in the general population, if not more.
Tincup
E3,E4
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

circular wrote:Still thinking … I keep hearing from doctors that hsCRP only pertains to vessel inflammation, though I still wonder if that’s true. If it is, then maybe we should expect hsCRP to go up with Gundry’s markers if what he observes holds up under peer review scrutiny. I fear that, as with his lectin/adiponectin conference abstract, no one will pick up the ball and pursue it with rigorous peer reviewed studies, but with so many people potentially affected, maybe someone will this time?
My hsCRP has always been low when tested, except for one time. That time, I’d been tested a day or two after falling hard on my right knee and banging it up pretty bad.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

TheBrain wrote: My hsCRP has always been low when tested, except for one time. That time, I’d been tested a day or two after falling hard on my right knee and banging it up pretty bad.
Thanks, that's interesting. Did you have it tested when you had mold illness? I don't normally hear it mentioned in that context, but I'm not well read about mold illness either.