My !POSITIVE! test results for mycotoxins testing through Great Plains Laboratory

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Re: My !POSITIVE! test results for mycotoxins testing through Great Plains Laboratory

Post by TheBrain »

Circular, thanks for your thoughts on this matter. Much appreciated.

I'd love to get Shoemaker's new genetic testing done, but the price would have to drop significantly or I'd need to have more cash to play with.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
CoachDD
Contributor
Contributor

Re: My !POSITIVE! test results for mycotoxins testing through Great Plains Laboratory

Post by CoachDD »

Hi everyone - thought I'd jump in on this one since I just completed much of these tests and it is apparent that I suffer from mold toxicity.

I met with my FM/Bredesen trained doc this past week and he questions whether the urine tests are helpful since we constantly circulate and eliminate many of these toxins. His thought is that a positive result may not necessarily be indicative of whether someone is adversely affected by mold toxicity (which I guess makes sense).

I test positive for two of the mold HLA-DR and through my research, found that most agree that about 25% of the population does. The dreaded "multi-susceptible" only affects about 1% of people (including Dr. Jill Carnahan, an IFM and ISEAI.org board member). I also did the swab for the MARCoNS test (awaiting results), but already had the mold "work up" which includes:

VEGF (low: <31 pg/mL - range is 31-86)
C4a (high: 3116 ng/mL - range is 0-2830)
TGF Beta1 (high: 6000 pg/ml - range is 344-2382)
ADH/Osmolality (my ADH was very low at 0.9 /Osmolality was normal at 289 - range is 278-305 mOsm/kg)
MSH (low normal: 8.0 pg/mL - reference range is 0-100.0)
TNF Alpha (within normal range: 0.75 pg/mL - range is 0.56-1.40)
VIP (within normal range: <50 pg/mL - range is <75)
MMP9 (within normal range: 170 ng/mL - range is 0-900)

Also tested low on Zinc: 55 mcg/dL (range is 60-130)

Here are some other recommended labs (I don't have my results handy):
AGA IgA/IgG
ACTH/Cortisol
ACLA IgA/IgG/IgM
Leptin

Here are some sites that may be helpful to anyone interested in researching further:

http://iseai.org
https://rawlsmd.com/health-articles/mol ... 2-26-17%5D

I've also attached some relevant documents to review/share.

If anyone has insight or suggestions on this information, please share!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Learning to Live (3/4)
Certified Health and Wellness Coach ~ Functional Medicine Coaching Academy
CoachDD
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CoachDD »

Here are a few more attachments for your reading pleasure!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Learning to Live (3/4)
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

CoachDD wrote:Hi everyone - thought I'd jump in on this one since I just completed much of these tests and it is apparent that I suffer from mold toxicity.

I met with my FM/Bredesen trained doc this past week and he questions whether the urine tests are helpful since we constantly circulate and eliminate many of these toxins. His thought is that a positive result may not necessarily be indicative of whether someone is adversely affected by mold toxicity (which I guess makes sense).
Hi CoachDD,

I'm sorry you are also dealing with mold toxicity. :(

In the Great Plains urine mycotoxins test results, there's a "Common Range of Positive Results" for each mycotoxin tested that goes from green to yellow to red. It's expected there could be a positive result for some mycotoxins because, yes, people are processing and eliminating these toxins as best they can as they come into contact with them.

The first time I was tested, I was well above the red with two mycotoxins I tested positive for. I had a score of 0 for the other five mycotoxins tested. Because I have two mold-susceptible haplotypes, my body had been holding on to mycotoxins as if they were gold to behold. If it weren't for doing three far infrared sauna sessions prior to my urine collection, it's very likely I would not have had positive results at all or if I did, they probably would have been barely positive.

I had a consultation with CIRS expert Mary Ackerley, MD, during which we discussed my MRI with NeuroQuant results. She is the VP of the new ISEAI organization. She hadn't been ordering the urine mycotoxins tests for her patients, but patients (including me) came with urine mycotoxins test results in hand. So she started looking at them. She has found this test to be very accurate in that it correlates with a patient's symptoms and history of mold exposure (and current exposure, if applicable). She has started using this test in her practice.
I test positive for two of the mold HLA-DR and through my research, found that most agree that about 25% of the population does. The dreaded "multi-susceptible" only affects about 1% of people (including Dr. Jill Carnahan, an IFM and ISEAI.org board member). I also did the swab for the MARCoNS test (awaiting results), but already had the mold "work up" which includes:

VEGF (low: <31 pg/mL - range is 31-86)
C4a (high: 3116 ng/mL - range is 0-2830)
TGF Beta1 (high: 6000 pg/ml - range is 344-2382)
ADH/Osmolality (my ADH was very low at 0.9 /Osmolality was normal at 289 - range is 278-305 mOsm/kg)
MSH (low normal: 8.0 pg/mL - reference range is 0-100.0)
TNF Alpha (within normal range: 0.75 pg/mL - range is 0.56-1.40)
VIP (within normal range: <50 pg/mL - range is <75)
MMP9 (within normal range: 170 ng/mL - range is 0-900)

Also tested low on Zinc: 55 mcg/dL (range is 60-130)
I'd suggest checking the ranges that Dr. Shoemaker uses at https://www.survivingmold.com/diagnosis/lab-tests. They differ from typical lab ranges.

Have you had your copper tested? Dr. Bredesen discusses the copper:zinc ratio as part of the toxin-related blood testing. The ratio should be .8–1.2. Ideally, the ratio is 1:1 with about 100 mcg/dl each. So your zinc is definitely low.

Because my CIRS test results were close to normal (except for MSH, ADH, and TGF Beta 1, the last of which wasn't much above range), I'm using the urine mycotoxins testing to check the status of how my treatment is going. In your case, you have plenty of out-of-range CIRS blood markers. Urine mycotoxins testing might not be worth the expense in your case. However, I personally found it useful to learn which mycotoxins I tested positive for.

Thanks for providing the additional resources!
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
CoachDD
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CoachDD »

Thanks for your insight and support, TheBrain! Actually, I was going to reach out to you directly. . . maybe we can catch again up soon. :)
I had a consultation with CIRS expert Mary Ackerley, MD, during which we discussed my MRI with NeuroQuant results. She is the VP of the new ISEAI organization. She hadn't been ordering the urine mycotoxins tests for her patients, but patients (including me) came with urine mycotoxins test results in hand. So she started looking at them. She has found this test to be very accurate in that it correlates with a patient's symptoms and history of mold exposure (and current exposure, if applicable). She has started using this test in her practice.
Thanks for sharing this insight. I will be seeking her out for a consultation myself!
I'd suggest checking the ranges that Dr. Shoemaker uses at https://www.survivingmold.com/diagnosis/lab-tests. They differ from typical lab ranges.
Agree! Thanks for pointing this out.
Have you had your copper tested? Dr. Bredesen discusses the copper:zinc ratio as part of the toxin-related blood testing. The ratio should be .8–1.2. Ideally, the ratio is 1:1 with about 100 mcg/dl each. So your zinc is definitely low.
Yep - and my copper is low too at 58 mcg/dL
Because my CIRS test results were close to normal (except for MSH, ADH, and TGF Beta 1, the last of which wasn't much above range), I'm using the urine mycotoxins testing to check the status of how my treatment is going. In your case, you have plenty of out-of-range CIRS blood markers. Urine mycotoxins testing might not be worth the expense in your case. However, I personally found it useful to learn which mycotoxins I tested positive for.
This may be the exact reason the FM doc is dismissing my idea of doing the Mycotoxin Urine test at this time. I will keep it on my radar, however.
Learning to Live (3/4)
Bettylacy
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Bettylacy »

I just heard from Dr. Shoemaker himself via his office about the HLA question. He said and I quote "Baloney" to not doing HLA testing. In other words, he appears to like food metaphors :lol: and be in favor of HLA testing. When I asked where to get tested, they directed me to Lab Corp. I offer my apology for any confusion on this subject.
Interesting I reported that I had 2 VCS failed tests, which both had some ? computer glitches, I suspect on their end. So they credited me for 2 tests and said they had corrected the glitches. I just retook the test and had 1 positive and 1 negative. Could this be because one eye has better vision? Because of these yearly sinus infections, I am going to proceed with testing for the mycotoxin with Great Plains and either do the FIR sauna or the glutathione.

One thing is for sure they really have a great team of online support and have a direct line into Dr. Shoemaker himself. In this day and age that is very refreshing.

FYI-I also tested my zinc(RBC) 1300mcg/dl(normal 794-1470) and copper 78 mcg/dl( normal 80-155). These are upper limits of zinc and lower limits of copper. Would appreciate your thoughts on this...? Lower copper constitutes toxic exposure?
APOe 3/4; If you want to go fast go alone. If you want to go far go together. African proverb. :D
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

CoachDD wrote:Thanks for your insight and support, TheBrain! Actually, I was going to reach out to you directly. . . maybe we can catch again up soon. :)
I'd love to catch up again soon.
Yep - and my copper is low too at 58 mcg/dL
It's interesting that your copper is also low. Typically, one would see low zinc and high copper. I don't know what your low copper means. You might want to re-read the content in The End of Alzheimer's about Type 3 (pp. 104–111) and the copper:zinc ratio (pp. 132–134). And, of course, talk to your doctor!
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Bettylacy wrote:I just heard from Dr. Shoemaker himself via his office about the HLA question. He said and I quote "Baloney" to not doing HLA testing. In other words, he appears to like food metaphors :lol: and be in favor of HLA testing. When I asked where to get tested, they directed me to Lab Corp. I offer my apology for any confusion on this subject.
Ha! Thank you for clearing this up for us, at least in terms of Dr. Shoemaker's view on the matter. No need to apologize. You brought us clarity. :)
Interesting I reported that I had 2 VCS failed tests, which both had some ? computer glitches, I suspect on their end. So they credited me for 2 tests and said they had corrected the glitches. I just retook the test and had 1 positive and 1 negative. Could this be because one eye has better vision? Because of these yearly sinus infections, I am going to proceed with testing for the mycotoxin with Great Plains and either do the FIR sauna or the glutathione.
The VCS testing is something I know little about. This is all I know: In my case, I did better with one eye than the other, but as I was doing the test, I realized that my vision in the one eye was a bit blurry when I covered the other eye. So I felt like I needed to get my eyes checked and possibly get new glasses. I had gone four years w/o getting my eyes checked! I finally did get them checked, and my prescription changed differently for both eyes. You're reminding me that I should probably do the VCS test again to see how I do.

Good luck with the mycotoxins testing!
One thing is for sure they really have a great team of online support and have a direct line into Dr. Shoemaker himself. In this day and age that is very refreshing.
Yes, indeed. We should all keep Dr. Shoemaker in mind as a resource.
FYI-I also tested my zinc(RBC) 1300mcg/dl(normal 794-1470) and copper 78 mcg/dl( normal 80-155). These are upper limits of zinc and lower limits of copper. Would appreciate your thoughts on this...? Lower copper constitutes toxic exposure?
I'd suggest reading the same content I recommended to CoachDD: In The End of Alzheimer's, see the information about Type 3 (pp. 104–111) and the copper:zinc ratio (pp. 132–134). But the RBC zinc is different from the serum zinc, so I don't see how you could calculate the ratio. On p. 134, Dr. Bredesen mentions an additional optional target. I'd suggest talking to your doctor and see what he/she recommends.
Michelle
New User
New User

Post by Michelle »

I just got my results from the same test. My ochratoxin A result is 122.79, which seems outrageously high ("common range of positive is 4-20"). Two others were also high, but in the common range of high. I've basically felt like crap for years. Is there hope to get rid of this and actually feel better?
Sara
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Sara »

Michelle wrote:I just got my results from the same test. My ochratoxin A result is 122.79, which seems outrageously high ("common range of positive is 4-20"). Two others were also high, but in the common range of high. I've basically felt like crap for years. Is there hope to get rid of this and actually feel better?
Hi Michelle and welcome to the apoe4.info site! There are many detoxification protocols you can follow to eliminate toxins and mold from your body with the potential of improving the way that you feel! One of my favorite resources (recommended by Dr. Bredesen and also the Institute of Functional Medicine) is a book called the Toxin Solution by Dr. Joseph Pizzorno. As you begin to detox it will be very important to clean up the way that you are eating (apologies if you are already doing any or all of this). Our Primer is a wonderful resource to support you in this process. We are hear to support you on your journey!
Certified ReCODE 2.0 Brain Health Coach, MOCA Certified
MBA, Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach, National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Brain Health Professional - Amen University
Surviving loved one who transitioned with AD