My !POSITIVE! test results for mycotoxins testing through Great Plains Laboratory

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
LindsayCrosby
New User
New User

Re: My !POSITIVE! test results for mycotoxins testing through Great Plains Laboratory

Post by LindsayCrosby »

Hello!

I had similar numbers on my test. Wondering if you have detoxed and retested? How do you feel now?
KendrahB
Contributor
Contributor

Re: My !POSITIVE! test results for mycotoxins testing through Great Plains Laboratory

Post by KendrahB »

LindsayCrosby wrote:Hello!

I had similar numbers on my test. Wondering if you have detoxed and retested? How do you feel now?
Hi LindsayCrosby!

Thanks for joining in on the discussion. Just wanted to welcome you to the forum and point you to the Primer for more information on ApoE4, as well as the Wiki for assistance navigating the vast information on this site. This How To page also explains how to optimize use of the tools on the forum for creating new threads, quoting others, and creating links within posts. Quoting alerts the person via their Forum account that someone has commented or replied to them. You can get notifications for a specific topic discussion by using the wrench image drop down at the top of the page, and clicking “subscribe”.

We would love to learn more about you, if you’re willing to create your own thread on “Our Stories”, as well! Let me know if you have any questions :)
Kendrah
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

LindsayCrosby wrote:Hello! I
had similar numbers on my test. Wondering if you have detoxed and retested? How do you feel now?
TheBrain wrote:
Hi Lindsay, I believe you were trying to ask TheBrain about her detox. There are so many threads on the site that no one monitors all of them all the time, so if you want to let someone know you are replying to their post, you need to use the quotation marks in the upper right of that person’s post, to quote that person. There is a shortcut that you can read about in the How to section of the WiKi.
formula:
User Name wrote:
I used that formula to add TheBrain to your post so she’ll be notified.
I Highly recommend How-To Get the Most out of the ApoE4.info website It is a user-friendly resource for how to quote people so they see your replies, how to search topics, how to subscribe to forums of particular interest and how to send Private Messages. Very helpful for using the website to your best advantage.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Hi Lindsay. I have detoxed and retested, but it seems like the detoxing will need to be ongoing because I continue to have new mycotoxins show up. This time, I had a high level of gliotoxin, but it was zero the last time.

This weekend, I’ll post my latest results and comment more. But I’ll say here that I’m not feeling as good as I’d hoped for at this stage of the process.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

TheBrain wrote:

Hi Lindsay. I have detoxed and retested, but it seems like the detoxing will need to be ongoing because I continue to have new mycotoxins show up. This time, I had a high level of gliotoxin, but it was zero the last time.

This weekend, I’ll post my latest results and comment more. But I’ll say here that I’m not feeling as good as I’d hoped for at this stage of the process.
Hi again, Lindsay. First of all, I want to make sure you're aware that you can get a free 30-minute consultation with a Great Plains expert following each mycotoxin test you do (as well as the organic acids test (OAT) and probably others). Just call customer service to set up an appointment.

I've uploaded my latest test results from June 20, 2020.
#4 Great Plains GPL-MycoTox - Mycotoxins test results 6-20-20 for ApoE4.Info.pdf
My Ochratoxin A (OTA) is almost normal now. Neither my functional medicine (FM) practitioner nor the Great Plains (GP) consultant believes this mycotoxin is an issue for me at this level. What isn't known is what would happen if I stop taking binders that help remove OTA. Would my level stay close to where it is, or would it rise? I live in coastal North Carolina, which is a moldy place.

My Gliotoxin is alarmingly high (3002.88 where <200 is normal). This mycotoxin wasn't tested for until my 3rd test, and it was zero then. My FM practitioner and the GP consultant thinks this is a new exposure for me (versus a mycotoxin that has emerged from my body to be removed; the body can only detox only so much at a time).

The question is: Where does this Gliotoxin exposure come from? Some possibilities: the fungus Aspergillus fumigatus (from contaminated food, soil, and/or mold colonization in my body) and/or Candida overgrowth. So my exposure could come from a combination of sources. The good news: It's very unlikely that my home is a source. More good news: The treatment is "benign," but I had to add seven more supplements to my already extensive supplement regimen. Ugh...

I could have had an OAT done, which would reveal if I have Candida overgrowth or mold colonization going on. However, in September, I'm getting an OAT as well as my 5th mycotoxins test done. The costs add up.

I learned from the GP consultant that soil, especially compost, contains Aspergillus fumigatus. I had done hours of weeding within a couple of weeks before I collected my urine sample. It turns out that in the spring, my husband had placed fresh compost where I spent most of my time weeding. So I suspect that's a major source of my exposure. I did some weeding in the same area last week, but I wore an N95 mask while doing it. Not a pretty sight and not particularly comfortable in hot weather, but I think it's in my best interest to wear it while weeding.

My Mycophenolic Acid increased from test #3 to test #4, but the range has been changed, and my level isn't too far above the normal range. My Zearalenone is now zero, as is my Citrinin. Both had been above the range in test #3. So I'm happy they're gone.

I have two mold-susceptible haplotypes, which means my body has a hard time releasing mycotoxins on its own. (I'm assuming experts still believe in this genetic risk, but I haven't researched the matter lately.)

My FM practitioner believes I'll never have all zeroes on my results from mycotoxins testing. She thinks mycotoxins will always be coming in and going out of my body (and it appears my body will always need me to take binders and other supplements to address them.) That tells me I'll always need to be proactive.

So will I ever feel all better? I certainly hope so, and I believe most people do. However, this coming December will mark three years since I've been working on this mold toxicity issue. For some, it's a slow process. For others, it's much quicker. I hope you fall into the latter category and are feeling better in a matter of months.

Let me know if you have further questions. Of course, feel free to post your own test results. Good luck with your treatment!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

My FM practitioner believes I'll never have all zeroes on my results from mycotoxins testing. She thinks mycotoxins will always be coming in and going out of my body (and it appears my body will always need me to take binders and other supplements to address them.) That tells me I'll always need to be proactive.
That's likely true given your genetics, but still upsetting to see your new challenge. I'm glad the treatment is fairly benign and look forward to your next round of testing.

I have a question about the GPL mycotoxin testing. I'm about to do my first and am confused. My FMP prescribed two weeks of liposomal glutathione and daily saunas before the test to provoke the mycotoxins, yet the laboratory itself advises against this as their reference ranges were normed without provocation. Hmmm? Did you do provocation before any of your tests? I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who's been down this road. I'm sending virtual hugs your way, Brain. You've methodically worked your way through each of your challenges and taught us all along the way. Deep bow.
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Julie G wrote:I have a question about the GPL mycotoxin testing. I'm about to do my first and am confused. My FMP prescribed two weeks of liposomal glutathione and daily saunas before the test to provoke the mycotoxins, yet the laboratory itself advises against this as their reference ranges were normed without provocation. Hmmm? Did you do provocation before any of your tests? I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who's been down this road. I'm sending virtual hugs your way, Brain. You've methodically worked your way through each of your challenges and taught us all along the way. Deep bow.
Hi Julie,

My FM practitioner has had me taking liposomal glutathione, 500 mg, once per day for quite a while. One week prior to my 3rd and 4th tests, she asked me to do that same dose twice a day. However, I was told to follow the GPL guidelines to not use any binders prior to the urine collection. If I recall correctly, it was three days w/o binders. I've also been doing FIR sauna, but I'm now down to once a week. I'd like to do more, but I haven't been able to motivate myself.

Prior my 1st test, I did FIR sauna three days in a row (at a clinic in Wilmington) prior to urine collection. Prior to my 2nd test, I'd been doing almost daily sauna sessions (I bought one for home use). I didn't use liposomal glutathione prior to either test.

So, in a way, there's a bit of an apples to oranges comparison between my first two tests and my last two tests because of the provocation methods I used.

I know that people with mold-susceptible genetics like me might be very mold toxic, yet they could have test results that show no issue with mycotoxins. As a result, practitioners often suggest provocation. However, if I recall correctly, you don't have mold-susceptible genetics. It's Lyme and not the multi-susceptible genetics? If the provocation recommendations have been extended to everyone who tests for mycotoxins, I'm unaware of it.

The contradiction between recommendations from GPL vs. healthcare practitioners is a bit unsettling.

Thanks for sending me virtual hugs. I'm virtually hugging you back right now...
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

TheBrain wrote:
Hi The Brain!

I hope you're continuing to improve through your admirable dedication to doing so!

During your treatment for ochratoxin, did anyone suggest you remove certain foods from your diet that are more likely to carry it; e.g., grains? Or was your diet already without such foods? I'm trying to get a handle on the ochratoxin diet connection for someone else, and I wondered whether you were able to get rid of it without avoiding foods that may contain it. The patient is a child, so a strict diet like many of us here eat would be really hard to stick to.

Thanks!
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

circular wrote:
TheBrain wrote:
Hi The Brain!

I hope you're continuing to improve through your admirable dedication to doing so!

During your treatment for ochratoxin, did anyone suggest you remove certain foods from your diet that are more likely to carry it; e.g., grains? Or was your diet already without such foods? I'm trying to get a handle on the ochratoxin diet connection for someone else, and I wondered whether you were able to get rid of it without avoiding foods that may contain it. The patient is a child, so a strict diet like many of us here eat would be really hard to stick to.

Thanks!
Hi circular!

I'm sorry to hear you know a child with mold illness, but it's best to know about such an issue asap. As to your question about Ochratoxin (OTA): My diet was already grain free by the time I discovered I had mold illness, and my FM PA didn't recommend any dietary changes to address Ochratoxin or any of the mycotoxins that showed up as high. However, she has concluded I'll probably need to be on binders indefinitely. Perhaps if I made more dietary changes that would help, but I already have a long list of foods I avoid to due sensitivities.

My answer probably doesn't bring more clarity to what you're asking, but I agree that it would be hard for a child to stick to a strict child. Perhaps whether to suggest such a diet would depend on how sick the child is?

I actually don't know the status of my mold illness right now. I did have a 5th mycotoxins test in September 2020, and my gliotoxin level, which had been way high for my 4th test, had gone even higher. Per my FM PA, I increased my binders (taking 2 capsules of bentonite clay and 2 capsules of GI Detox every day), but I haven't been retested since. I should have been; COVID isn't a good excuse given that it's a home collection test.

My husband, Tim, did discover mold in the attic space on the second floor of our home. We hadn't been spending much time on the second floor, but had started to during the timeframe of when my gliotoxin issue showed up. Tim cleaned up the mold, and we hired a mold inspector to come to our house. The inspector did find measurable Aspergillus/Penicillium mold in the air on the second floor, so hopefully that's where the gliotoxin came from. To make a long story short, Tim did massive cleanup of the second floor and attic, and we replaced the roof of our house and garage. Still, I should get retested to make sure my gliotoxin levels are good now.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

TheBrain wrote:
circular wrote:
TheBrain wrote:
Hi The Brain!

Thanks!
Hi circular!

I'm sorry to hear you know a child with mold illness, but it's best to know about such an issue asap. As to your question about Ochratoxin (OTA): My diet was already grain free by the time I discovered I had mold illness, and my FM PA didn't recommend any dietary changes to address Ochratoxin or any of the mycotoxins that showed up as high. However, she has concluded I'll probably need to be on binders indefinitely. Perhaps if I made more dietary changes that would help, but I already have a long list of foods I avoid to due sensitivities.

My answer probably doesn't bring more clarity to what you're asking, but I agree that it would be hard for a child to stick to a strict child. Perhaps whether to suggest such a diet would depend on how sick the child is?

I actually don't know the status of my mold illness right now. I did have a 5th mycotoxins test in September 2020, and my gliotoxin level, which had been way high for my 4th test, had gone even higher. Per my FM PA, I increased my binders (taking 2 capsules of bentonite clay and 2 capsules of GI Detox every day), but I haven't been retested since. I should have been; COVID isn't a good excuse given that it's a home collection test.

My husband, Tim, did discover mold in the attic space on the second floor of our home. We hadn't been spending much time on the second floor, but had started to during the timeframe of when my gliotoxin issue showed up. Tim cleaned up the mold, and we hired a mold inspector to come to our house. The inspector did find measurable Aspergillus/Penicillium mold in the air on the second floor, so hopefully that's where the gliotoxin came from. To make a long story short, Tim did massive cleanup of the second floor and attic, and we replaced the roof of our house and garage. Still, I should get retested to make sure my gliotoxin levels are good now.
Thank you for the feedback. Gosh, you and Tim have sure been through the wringer with that house. It hope it gives you some peace of mind to know how far you've come and that as time goes on, there is less mystery (?).
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.