NYTs: What if you knew Alzheimer's was coming for you?

Vision, strategy, service, and activism. Web and social media planning and technical discussion.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: NYTs: What if you knew Alzheimer's was coming for you?

Post by Tincup »

Kenny4/4 wrote: Am I mistaken or do you fast for 5 days straight?
Yes, that is correct. I've done the 22 hours/day fast, 2 hour eating window for 2 1/2 years. I started the 5 days fasting out of 14 days cycles on May 1. Refeed durations can vary depending on social occasions, blood testing for Dr. Gundry (which I do after refeeding for at least a week) as well as travel. I was at our meetup in San Diego in August and fasted the entire conference, even paying for the meals I didn't eat so I could socialize. My wife usually fasts once a year for 7 days, so I join her for that. Am traveling and will visit relatives and friends this week for the holidays. Plan to fast most of that trip.

As I only eat 1x/day, I only need to skip 4 meals to turn it into a 120 hour fast. For example eat Sunday at 6PM and again on Friday at 6 PM. I am weight stable.

I should note I've been keto adapted since Oct 2009 and am very metabolically flexible.

One of my drivers for doing the fasts was Valter Longo's work. with fasting, fasting mimicking diets and upregulation of autophagy, apoptosis and stem cell stimulation.
Tincup
E3,E4
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Kenny Dr. Bredesen has an early article on his protocol about the need for a ‘cocktail’ approach to AD like we see in heart disease, HIV and cancer. Sorry I’m laid up and on my phone so no handy link or title.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

Interesting response to the NYT article. https://www.healthnewsreview.org/2017/1 ... -might-be/
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
cdamaden
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by cdamaden »

If it bleeds, it leads...
Chris
E4/E4
Alameda, CA, USA
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: NYTs: What if you knew Alzheimer's was coming for you?

Post by Stavia »

TheresaB wrote:Interesting response to the NYT article. https://www.healthnewsreview.org/2017/1 ... -might-be/
When I told my younger son about my 4/4, I was on a pity party and all "woe is me" and tears and hand wringing and an emotional mess
He looked at me and said "ok so you have a gene that means you have to live healthy with diet and exercise etc to be healthy. So how is that different to every body else?"
Exactly.
Was a dose of reality.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

cdamaden wrote:If it bleeds, it leads...
yup. grr.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

Stavia wrote:He looked at me and said "ok so you have a gene that means you have to live healthy with diet and exercise etc to be healthy. So how is that different to every body else?"
:lol: You raised a smart kid.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

TheresaB wrote:
Stavia wrote:He looked at me and said "ok so you have a gene that means you have to live healthy with diet and exercise etc to be healthy. So how is that different to every body else?"
:lol: You raised a smart kid.
It was the most sensible thing anyone said to me in the context of apoe4.
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by laurie »

The NY times article is what brought me to this site and I am glad it did as I am passionate about putting an end to the epidemic of Alzheimer's. Before you can find a cure or prevent a disease you need to know the cause! Beta amyloid and tangles are only symptoms of the disease. Research has reached a tipping point and Aluminum is a causal factor of Alzheimer's. Here is a link to an evidenced based paper with quotes from researchers who are studying aluminum. It is very good news that the focus is switching to prevention of the disease. https://universityhealthnews.com/daily/ ... s-disease/
Apoe 3/4

"True prevention is only possible by first discovering the cause of a disease such as Alzheimer's."
Dennis N Crouse
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

So happy you found us, Laurie! While aluminum is a likely contributor to Alzheimer's, it's important to bear in mind that there are many other potential contributors; insulin resistance, inflammation, multiple pathogens (viruses, mycotoxins, tic-borne illnesses, etc.) toxins (mercury, lead, cadmium, etc.), lack of hormonal and trophic support, other dysregulated metals (copper/zinc), and more. Aluminum, alone, is very unlikely to be the sole cause of Alzheimer's. We strive to keep the big picture in mind to best manage lots of moving parts to mitigate our risk.