Alzheimer's: why no huge anti-AD movement?

Vision, strategy, service, and activism. Web and social media planning and technical discussion.
Berri
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Alzheimer's: why no huge anti-AD movement?

Post by Berri »

No more than an hour after I sent off a letter to Alz.org, regarding their non-mention of Dr. Bredesen in any way, I received a reply! Here it is:

Thanks for contacting the Alzheimer’s Association. The protocol to which you refer has gone by several names, including the MEND protocol and ReCODE — though most people now refer to it as the Bredesen Protocol, after its developer. As you likely know, this program features a variety of components, including changes in diet and exercise, the use of supplements, and taking action to reduce stress. Though most aspects of the intervention are on target with what our organization recommends to reduce the risk of cognitive decline, Dr. Bredesen’s protocol should be interpreted with caution. First, it has not been sufficiently tested in controlled studies. The one study that was conducted involved a very small number of participants — just 10. The standard for credible, reliable evidence is a randomized controlled clinical trial — a large study (involving hundreds or thousands of people) conducted over a long period and testing a controlled intervention received by some study participants against a placebo group that does not receive the intervention. Because of this lack of hard evidence supporting the protocol’s efficacy, the Alzheimer’s Association cannot endorse or promote it as a dementia treatment.
That being said, Dr. Bredesen’s research is intriguing in that it indicates some possibilities for the value of lifestyle changes on cognitive function. It also reinforces that one single lifestyle element — one component of a diet, for example — is much less likely to be beneficial against something as complicated and devastating as Alzheimer’s disease as multiple lifestyle elements done together. To test the potential effect of multi-prong lifestyle interventions, the Alzheimer’s Association recently announced the launch of a two-year study called U.S. POINTER that will enroll 2,500 study volunteers. For more information, please visit http://www.alz.org/aaic/releases_2017/T ... erview.pdf.

Thanks for your interest in Alzheimer's disease research.

Sincerely,
Alzheimer’s Association

--------------------
Their comment about "lack of hard evidence" was explained by Dr. Bredesen. Their planned study seems to use Bredesen's whole plan.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Berri wrote:No more than an hour after I sent off a letter to Alz.org, regarding their non-mention of Dr. Bredesen in any way, I received a reply! Here it is:

...To test the potential effect of multi-prong lifestyle interventions, the Alzheimer’s Association recently announced the launch of a two-year study called U.S. POINTER that will enroll 2,500 study volunteers. For more information, please visit http://www.alz.org/aaic/releases_2017/T ... erview.pdf.

--------------------
Their planned study seems to use Bredesen's whole plan.
It's great that you received and shared this response from Alz.org! A few other members have mentioned the US Pointer study, which is similar to studies in other counties (FINGER). I personally think that Bredesen protocol has interventions above and beyond lifestyle; for example, female hormone replacement, correction of mercury toxicity, and treatment of mold biotoxin illness.
Slacker
E4/E4
Berri
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Berri »

slacker wrote:
Berri wrote:No more than an hour after I sent off a letter to Alz.org, regarding their non-mention of Dr. Bredesen in any way, I received a reply! Here it is:

...To test the potential effect of multi-prong lifestyle interventions, the Alzheimer’s Association recently announced the launch of a two-year study called U.S. POINTER that will enroll 2,500 study volunteers. For more information, please visit http://www.alz.org/aaic/releases_2017/T ... erview.pdf.

--------------------
Their planned study seems to use Bredesen's whole plan.
It's great that you received and shared this response from Alz.org! A few other members have mentioned the US Pointer study, which is similar to studies in other counties (FINGER). I personally think that Bredesen protocol has interventions above and beyond lifestyle; for example, female hormone replacement, correction of mercury toxicity, and treatment of mold biotoxin illness.

Quite right, Slacker, and I apologize. Sometimes I get steamed up and so the resulting fog impedes my view :lol:
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Berri wrote:
Quite right, Slacker, and I apologize. Sometimes I get steamed up and so the resulting fog impedes my view :lol:
Of course I love when people agree with me, AND there is no need to apologize. You must be more of a half full glass person than I am! 8-) The study is still a good step in the right direction.
Slacker
E4/E4
buck3Maureen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by buck3Maureen »

Call me a horrible cynic but I believe that the reason for the lack of public education and attention to the work of Dr. Bredesen and others is that no one can make millions by getting people to exercise, eat better, get involved socially etc. If they ever do come up with a magic pill there will be non stop coverage. As far as Breast Cancer awareness they are racing for the CURE not the PREVENTION. No doubt we need strategies to help cure, but how many cases could be prevented. I say this as someone who lost a sister to breast cancer.
Maureen
Fc1345linville
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Fc1345linville »

"Call me a horrible cynic but I believe that the reason for the lack of public education and attention to the work of Dr. Bredesen and others is that no one can make millions by getting people to exercise, eat better, get involved socially etc. If they ever do come up with a magic pill there will be non stop coverage."

Good point, Maureen. By the way, does anyone know what it does cost, maybe a range, to sign up for Dr. Bredesen's program?

Fc
lamb chops
Contributor
Contributor

Post by lamb chops »

I agree that the reason nobody had picked up on the protocol was the lack of profit to be gotten. However, I don't know if I think it's horrible given that we are a capitalist country, much as I sometimes grind my teeth over it.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Fc1345linville wrote:"Call me a horrible cynic but I believe that the reason for the lack of public education and attention to the work of Dr. Bredesen and others is that no one can make millions by getting people to exercise, eat better, get involved socially etc. If they ever do come up with a magic pill there will be non stop coverage."

Good point, Maureen. By the way, does anyone know what it does cost, maybe a range, to sign up for Dr. Bredesen's program?

Fc
The cost of the ReCODE report is $ 1399, available through AHNP Precision Health. It is possible to order individual tests in areas that you want to measure through direct-to-consumer tests (see Direct to Consumer Lab Testing Options and it may also be possible to get some of the more standard labs (B-12, D-3, complete blood counts) through your Medicare plan provider.
4/4 and still an optimist!