Welcome MPI Cognition practitioners & patients!

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Welcome MPI Cognition practitioners & patients!

Post by Julie G »

I wanted to take a moment to warmly welcome our newest members who recently attended the third MPI Cognition Physician Training at the Buck Institute. It was also wonderful to see several members of our amazing team there: CarlyGold & GOLDTHREAD! I was so honored to be included as a presenter and to be able to represent the ApoE4 perspective. I’m exhausted from the intensive schedule and facing a 3AM wake-up to catch my flight, but my head is buzzing with all of the terrific new information that was passed along. I’ll share with the community as I’m able. I look forward to learning even more with our new friends :D
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Welcome MPI Cognition practitioners & patients!

Post by circular »

This is great news that a third conference has been held. (I just stumbled on this.) Julie thanks for being a bridge between so many whose interests converge on apoe4, from practitioners to researchers to patients and non-patients!

Just curious, does MPI plan x number of these conferences a year, or is it just as time allows? Has attendance by practitioners increased with each one? A trend doesn't mean a lot over just three conferences, but curious anyway.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Thanks, Circ. It's really been inspiring to see so many physicians from all over the world want to learn and practice Dr. B's approach. Attendance has grown with each training. MPI has partnered with the Institute for Functional Medicine who has taken over physician training moving forward. The next one starts March 27th. Let me know if anyone wants more information.
intended4health
New User
New User

Post by intended4health »

Hi Julie,

I really enjoyed meeting you at the MPI training and look forward to learning from the AOE4 forum! There is so much happening in dementia work that gives me hope. Your presentation was fantastic and from my brief look at your the work you are doing, is inspiring. Thanks for all you do!
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Juliegee wrote:MPI has partnered with the Institute for Functional Medicine who has taken over physician training moving forward.
Wow, great! I must admit I was shocked at the Level A $25,000 and Level B $29,000 costs for the intensive. I thought it was like $4,000 or $10,000, which was also way over my budget but might make attendance possible for more concerned lay people. Good to hear doctor attendance is up. Hopefully the more doctors implementing the protocol, the better economy of scale can be referenced to coax labs to reduce the price of an extensive, customized testing panel.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Intended4health, we're delighted to have your expertise. Welcome!
Wow, great! I must admit I was shocked at the Level A $25,000 and Level B $29,000 costs for the intensive. I thought it was like $4,000 or $10,000, which was also way over my budget but might make attendance possible for more concerned lay people.
Ouch, not for mere mortals! I looked into what is included in these A/B intensive packages, which are essentially a concierge level of service. Apparently, the four day Immersion Program kicks off a full year of the protocol overseen by Dr. Bredesen himself with a personalized plan created during the event. It looks like much of the cost of practicing the protocol for a year is also built into this with quarterly MPI-trained physician visits (with Dr. Bredesen’s ongoing review,) nutritional support, coaching, supplements, brain training, laboratory testing (at level B,) Dr. Bredesen's continuing personal availability via six interactive webinars, and more. I know that MPI’s goal is to make access widely available at all price points. They're offering to send a list of trained physicians to anyone who can’t afford or who doesn’t need this level of service. MPI has been working hard to train physicians to meet demand. It’s worth noting that unlike previous Immersion Programs at the Buck, this is the first that’s been designed by Dr. Bredesen himself which is why the year follow-up is included. For anyone who wants more information about this or accessing less expensive options contact: mpicognition@gmail.com.
Good to hear doctor attendance is up. Hopefully the more doctors implementing the protocol, the better economy of scale can be referenced to coax labs to reduce the price of an extensive, customized testing panel.
That’s the plan. I know they’re working hard to make testing easier to access and afford by working out a deal with major labs. The plan is to dramatically drive down cost as more and more practitioners are educated and these ideas are implemented proactively to younger patients who are at risk.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Point of clarification:

The 5 digit pricetag ($xx,xx) with options A & B mentioned above is for a patient immersion program with MPI Cognition and Dr Bredesen that covers a year of services, starting with a training in Indian Hills California this March.

Provider training is being picked up by IFM (Institute of Functional Medicine) with a training scheduled in Huntington Beach CA this March. For now at least, IFM will be managing provider training of Dr Bredesen's protocol and not MPI Cognition. And it's possible that what is taught will no longer be "controlled " by Dr B. The price tag for this is around $1500 if memory serves, and just covers the 2-3 day training.

JulieGee, is my understanding correct?
Slacker
E4/E4
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Nice clarification, Slacker. I thought that was made clear, but perhaps not? Thanks. Yes, your understanding aligns with mine.
And it's possible that what is taught will no longer be "controlled " by Dr B.
That's a concern. From what I know MPI has partnered with IFM, but Dr. B will be heavily involved in the creation of the syllabus and actual training. I hope he still controls content...
aringle
Contributor
Contributor

Post by aringle »

I'm trying to figure out what macros should be for someone on the Bredesen protocol. Mediterranean diet seems to be high carb and the ketogenic diet is high fat. Bredesen suggests a mild ketogenic diet? Does anyone know what macros should look like?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Dr. Bredesen does recommend a mildly ketogenic Mediterranean diet for his patients ... sans bread and pasta ;). He encourages folks to eat an unlimited amount of non-starchy veggies instead with a small amount of animal protein (primarily wild-caught low mercury seafood for E4 carriers,) and generous amounts of healthy fats (olives, nuts, avocados, high polyphenol EVOO.) The macronutrient breakdown will probably vary a bit for everyone depending on their needs. I eat about 20% carbs 60-65% fat and 15-20% protein.

Keep in mind that he also recommends a 12 hour overnight fast for everyone and a longer one (16 hours) for us with 3 hours of fasting to occur before bed. This will be very difficult for folks with any amount of insulin resistance. Many have to slowly work up towards achieving this goal. He also recommends daily exercise. The combination of diet, fasting, and exercise all work together to create ketones to fuel the brain.