Checking in after two years. IForgot, did not...

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
IForgot
Contributor
Contributor

Checking in after two years. IForgot, did not...

Post by IForgot »

I'm baaack,

Not sure where to post this but I thought "Getting Started" might be a good place, as this is where I left off almost two years ago. Also, it may be slightly uplifting to some of you who just found out you are double 4's. I last posted long ago when I found I was 4/4. This is just an update on my condition and to say hello.

Like most of you, when I found out, I was pissed and slightly depressed. Well, that lasted about two days and off to studying all I could find on Alzheimer's wrt APOE 4/4. Suffice it to say, I'm still my old self and plugging along 2 years later. In other words, so far as I can test and subjectively analyze, my mind is as good as it was two years ago. Btw, I'm 72 now.

To the newbies, don't lose heart or feel doomed. You got a preview of what MIGHT happen, ergo, you can change the cards you were dealt. Check out Epigenetics, which is essentially suppressing or expressing genes (really how the body reads them), good and bad, via external environment (what's going on inside YOU) My take-aways and the areas on which I chose to focus, were: diet, exercise, sleep, supplements and lab values. Read the book! Homework assignment, what book? Clue, D.B.

My numbers, including Homocysteine, Metabolic and Inflammatory markers are at or under the Book values. I do Sudoku puzzles a lot but I'm not so sure they've helped. However, they're fun.

New or expanding research is everywhere. Check out C. diff or Clostridium difficile. Theories include its migration from the gut to the brain. The spores from which, cause some of the plaques and tangles.

If any of you find typos or grammar problems, don't think I really did go down hill, after all, I was always bad at these!

Again, newbies, do not despair. Take charge of your destiny, hope and act!

Best to you all and good luck,
Steven
lucytownsend
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Checking in after two years. IForgot, did not...

Post by lucytownsend »

IForgot wrote:I'm baaack,

Not sure where to post this but I thought getting started might be a good place, as this is where I left off almost two years ago. Also, it may be slightly uplifting to some of you who just found out you are double 4's. I last posted long ago when I found I was 4/4. This is just an update on my condition and to say hello.

Like most of you, when I found out, I was pissed and slightly depressed. Well, that lasted about two days and off to studying all I could find on Alzheimer's wrt APOE 4/4. Suffice it to say, I'm still my old self and plugging along 2 years later. In other words, so far as I can test and subjectively analyze, are as good as they were two years ago.

To the newbies, don't lose heart or feel doomed. You got a preview to what MIGHT happen, ergo, you can change the cards you were dealt. Check out Epigenetics, which is essentially suppressing or expressing genes (really how the body reads them), good and bad, via external environment (what's going on inside YOU) My take-aways and the areas on which I chose to focus, were: diet, exercise, sleep, supplements and lab values. Read the book! Homework assignment, what book? Clue, D.B.

My numbers, including Homocysteine, Metabolic and Inflammatory markers are at or under the Book values. I do Sudoku puzzles a lot but I'm not so sure they've helped. However, they're fun.

New or expanding research is everywhere. Check out C. diff or Clostridium difficile. Theories include its migration from the gut to the brain. The spores from which, cause some of the plaques and tangles.

If any of you find typos or grammar problems, don't think I really did go down hill after all, I was always bad at these!

Again, newbies, do not despair. Take charge of your destiny, hope and act!

Best to you all and good luck,
Steven
Steven,

A warm welcome back to the forum! Your story is truly inspiring. You have great determination and strength of character.

Researching epigenetics, and choosing to on focus: diet, exercise, sleep, supplements and lab values have paid off for you ! Your determination has created habits that will continue to improved your brain heath. Keep up your excellent work. We are here to support you in your journey.
I echo your recommendation to read D.B. books.

Learning and tracking homocysteine, metabolic and inflammatory markers are important numbers to understand.
There is evidence that doing Sudoku puzzles can delay brain aging Sudoku. Keep having fun with Sudoku puzzles!

We would love to invite you to share your journey by creating a new topic in Our Stories . This is something that we encourage all members to do so they get the opportunity to engage further on the site.

Keep in touch -

Warmly,

Lucy
Lucy Townsend
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
ReCOACH Coach
Certified Patient Advocate
IForgot
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IForgot »

lucytownsend wrote: A warm welcome back to the forum! Your story is truly inspiring. You have great determination and strength of character.

Researching epigenetics, and choosing to on focus: diet, exercise, sleep, supplements and lab values have paid off for you ! Your determination has created habits that will continue to improved your brain heath. Keep up your excellent work. We are here to support you in your journey.
I echo your recommendation to read D.B. books.

Learning and tracking homocysteine, metabolic and inflammatory markers are important numbers to understand.
There is evidence that doing Sudoku puzzles can delay brain aging Sudoku. Keep having fun with Sudoku puzzles!

We would love to invite you to share your journey by creating a new topic in Our Stories . This is something that we encourage all members to do so they get the opportunity to engage further on the site.

Keep in touch -

Warmly,

Lucy
Hello Lucy,
Thank you for the kind words and suggestions. I'd be happy to post my story, such that it is.
Best wishes,
Steven
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

IForgot wrote: Take charge of your destiny, hope and act!
Thanks for coming back, Steven, to post your inspiring story. It is exciting to hear that you are doing so well! You are a fine example of the benefits of taking charge of your destiny. Congratulations!
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health