I'm 21 and found out I'm 3/4 and trying to figure out what i should be doing

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
ethans24
Contributor
Contributor

I'm 21 and found out I'm 3/4 and trying to figure out what i should be doing

Post by ethans24 »

Hello! This is my first post on this board. I've been reading a lot of the information on the primer for newbies and I really appreciate all the information you folks have compiled. To give a quick intro about myself my name is Ethan and I'm a 21 year old college student studying engineering at the University of Washington. A few months ago I decided to do 23andme and when I got my results back I found out I have one of the APOE4 variants. It says on 23andme this could increase the chances of developing late onset alzheimers, which kind of caused me to freak out. I did my own research and basically discovered that diet is really important in ensuring I don't develop these later life conditions (kind of a duh lol). I've been living on my own for the past few years and my parents really taught me nothing about nutrition. I've ate pretty unhealthy generally most my life but I've been trying to change my diet the past few months but I'm honestly very confused about what I should be eating. I've been focusing on eating a lot more produce (veggies, leafy greens, and fruits), getting lots of my calories from protein sources like nuts, beans and lean meats (I'm a lifter and trying to bulk up so proteins important), and avoiding unhealthy food choices that contain excess sugars, saturated fats, or simple carbs. Should I consult a general physician to perform some bloodwork on me to figure out what diet would be the best for me? Or should this be something I talk to a nutritionist about?? I'm very confused, these are all problems I've never had to deal with before and I would appreciate any advice.
21 year old college student. 3/4
nerdymel23
Contributor
Contributor

Re: I'm 21 and found out I'm 3/4 and trying to figure out what i should be doing

Post by nerdymel23 »

ethans24 wrote:Hello! This is my first post on this board. I've been reading a lot of the information on the primer for newbies and I really appreciate all the information you folks have compiled. To give a quick intro about myself my name is Ethan and I'm a 21 year old college student studying engineering at the University of Washington. A few months ago I decided to do 23andme and when I got my results back I found out I have one of the APOE4 variants. It says on 23andme this could increase the chances of developing late onset alzheimers, which kind of caused me to freak out. I did my own research and basically discovered that diet is really important in ensuring I don't develop these later life conditions (kind of a duh lol). I've been living on my own for the past few years and my parents really taught me nothing about nutrition. I've ate pretty unhealthy generally most my life but I've been trying to change my diet the past few months but I'm honestly very confused about what I should be eating. I've been focusing on eating a lot more produce (veggies, leafy greens, and fruits), getting lots of my calories from protein sources like nuts, beans and lean meats (I'm a lifter and trying to bulk up so proteins important), and avoiding unhealthy food choices that contain excess sugars, saturated fats, or simple carbs. Should I consult a general physician to perform some bloodwork on me to figure out what diet would be the best for me? Or should this be something I talk to a nutritionist about?? I'm very confused, these are all problems I've never had to deal with before and I would appreciate any advice.
Hi Ethan! Welcome to the forum!

I'm glad you're already enjoying the PRIMER. You can find a great deal of science in the forum and by browsing through our Wiki. It's easy to follow the trail of research as one article can unlock another interesting topic. :D

It's sounds like you have also realized that genetics are not your destiny and there are lifestyle changes like nutrition that can enhance your health. I think it's wonderful you are doing the research now. I was raised on McDonald's and didn't learn about nutrition and cooking for myself until my 30s. I encourage everyone to get those skills earlier in life! It's usually good practice to check in with a provider or nutritionist that is versed in brain health. We have some resources in the Wiki about nutrition/diet and even a health providers list if you would like to check them out. You can also go searching through the forum and website on your specific topics of interest.

Here are some additional links:

On this page, Optimize diet you can learn more terms and there are links for references to the Bredesen Protocol, Dr Steven Gundry's "Plant Paradox" diet, Mediterranean diet, and the Wahls Protocol.

If you are looking for a provider you may find this resource helpful: ApoE4-Aware Healthcare Practitioners

We hope you enjoy exploring and sharing!

- Melissa
ApoE3/4
Board Certified Functional Medicine Health Coach
Certified Wahls Protocol Health Coach
Certified ReCODE Health Coach
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: I'm 21 and found out I'm 3/4 and trying to figure out what i should be doing

Post by Plumster »

Hi ethans24!

Great that you are proactive and interested in prevention. If I could go back in time (I'm now 51), I would focus on:

1. Good nutrition. Eating mostly vegetables, fruits, whole grains, legumes, and fish with a low toxic burden. Supplement with algae DHA. You will want about 2g a day. Avoid sugar and saturated fats as much as you can.
2. Take care of your body--exercise, fasting, sleeping well, avoiding head injuries.
3. Limit alcohol to as little as possible. Perhaps none.
4. Avoid heavy metals and environmental toxins (air pollution, mold, other toxins) as much as possible.

Hope this helps. Also, look up Dale Bredesen's The End of Alzheimer's. This book is incredibly helpful in knowing what to monitor--vitamins, blood markers, etc.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR