Double ApoE4 levels and very annoying word issues!

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
JimH
Contributor
Contributor

Double ApoE4 levels and very annoying word issues!

Post by JimH »

Hi Folks!

It's wonderful to have this website available. Thanks to Julie and others who have contributed so much!

I'm a Chiropractic Applied Kinesiologist and work with a wide variety of patient issues. I recently had a patient who was going downhill with brain function regardless of anything I could do for him. Three weeks ago, he and his wife came in for treatment and he had made dramatic improvement which was obvious in his ability to focus and express himself in conversation. They introduced me to a book that had provided them with a multi-level approach that had resulted in his improvement. No doubt you have already guessed the title of the book: "The End of Alzheimer's" By Dr. Dale Bredesen.

I was very impressed with my patient's progress (he is also working with another Dr. who started him on the RECode process). I got the book myself and am continually impressed. Dr. Bredesen has an approach to a healthy lifestyle very similar to my own and that of other Applied Kinesiology docs.

Even more interesting is that I have my own brain issues. I'm 71 and, for the last 5 years or so I've had very annoying and somewhat disturbing problems with word retrieval. This goes far beyond the typical word retrieval issues for "old" people. I have problems with calling up names of folks I know and terms I should know. Recently it's gotten worse as I've had problems recognizing terms that I should know. A patient recently asked me to check him for neurotransmitters and I had a very uncomfortable reaction. I knew that I should know what that meant, he asked me to check neurotransmitters because I had introduced the concept to him the first time I checked him. I asked him "So what do you want me to check with neurotransmitters". He replied "Oh you know, serotonin and stuff". That triggered me and all of a sudden I remembered what neurotransmitters were.

This is going on all the time and is a big problem considering all the technical issues I'm trying to address. On the up-side, I have no problem with short term memory. I can remember great detail regarding what's happened earlier in the day, last week, last year etc but not so good with the names of folks involved or precise terms to describe them!

I have ApoE4 from both sides of my family. My Mom had Alzheimer's the last 10 years of her life. My Dad was an alcoholic who literally drank himself to death based on the autopsy but would have been likely to have Alzheimer's if he'd lived beyond age 60.

I hope this post wasn't too much of a drag. I'm excited about the work of Dr. Bredesan regarding the way it may help me and my patients as well as the great work and information on this website!

Jim
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: Double ApoE4 levels and very annoying word issues!

Post by Tincup »

JimH wrote: It's wonderful to have this website available. Thanks to Julie and others who have contributed so much!

I have ApoE4 from both sides of my family. My Mom had Alzheimer's the last 10 years of her life. My Dad was an alcoholic who literally drank himself to death based on the autopsy but would have been likely to have Alzheimer's if he'd lived beyond age 60.
Welcome Jim,

I'm glad you found us and hope our info and Dr B's work help you both personally and professionally.

You may appreciate our FB feed, with research being posted daily.
A presentation Dr. Bredesen did, talking about bringing his approach to South Africa.
Dr. Bredesen's FB page, He does FB live presentations every couple of weeks.
The unaffiliated FB Bredesen support group.
The official FB Bredesen support group.
Tincup
E3,E4
nerdymel23
Contributor
Contributor

Post by nerdymel23 »

JimH wrote:Hi Folks!

It's wonderful to have this website available. Thanks to Julie and others who have contributed so much!

I'm a Chiropractic Applied Kinesiologist and work with a wide variety of patient issues. I recently had a patient who was going downhill with brain function regardless of anything I could do for him. Three weeks ago, he and his wife came in for treatment and he had made dramatic improvement which was obvious in his ability to focus and express himself in conversation. They introduced me to a book that had provided them with a multi-level approach that had resulted in his improvement. No doubt you have already guessed the title of the book: "The End of Alzheimer's" By Dr. Dale Bredesen.

Jim
Hi Jim!

Big welcome! We're excited to have someone with your background in the forum. There are many of us, including myself, who share quite a bit of enthusiasm for Dr. Bredesen's work. It's been a game changer for my brain. Enjoy diving deeper into the well researched APOE-ε4 resources through this forum and continue to share your experience! As a forum we are open about our own personal and family journeys. We believe everyone has experiences that might be useful to someone else.

Many members like to get started with the Primer. The Primer is authored by a member physician who carries two copies of the APOE-ε4 allele. We also have a comprehensive Wiki with hours of exciting research and information to browse through and digest. You can find more information about the Bredesen Protocol in this Wiki.

Another area of interest might be, ApoE ε4 Alzheimer's Research: What's New and How YOU Can Accelerate Research. These are online observational registries and opportunities for evaluations for clinical trials of people with APOE 4/4 and subjective memory concerns.

Please enjoy browsing and chatting with others on brain optimization tools.

- Melissa :)
ApoE3/4
Board Certified Functional Medicine Health Coach
Certified Wahls Protocol Health Coach
Certified ReCODE Health Coach
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

JimH wrote: Even more interesting is that I have my own brain issues. I'm 71 and, for the last 5 years or so I've had very annoying and somewhat disturbing problems with word retrieval. This goes far beyond the typical word retrieval issues for "old" people. I have problems with calling up names of folks I know and terms I should know. Recently it's gotten worse as I've had problems recognizing terms that I should know.
Hi, Jim, thanks for joining us! As another person whose cognitive issues have manifested primarily in word problems, your post caught my eye. I understand how disturbing it can be to not recognize terms you should know. For me, the problem shows up mainly as difficulty retrieving words I know and want to use, or more alarmingly, in what I call “noun replacement’, where the word that comes out of my mouth is different from the word I intended to say. That’s a shocker! Since you have been reading The End of Alzheimer’s, you probably already are aware that cognitive problems that present in speech issues, calculations, and executive functions rather than memory are associated with Subtype 3: Toxic. Getting evaluated for heavy metals, mycotoxins, and organic toxins can be very important for those of us who who have Subtype3- associated symptoms.
In Dr Bredesen’s second book, The End of Azheimer’s Program, chapter 19 on dementogens has excellent resources for testing. Personally I also have found Neil Nathan’s book Toxic quite helpful.
Getting enough sleep and avoiding stress is important for everyone, but too little sleep and too much stress seem to especially exacerbate problems for Subtype 3 presentations.
I look forward to your contributions to the ongoing conversations in the forums.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
JimH
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JimH »

Thanks for the references, tincup and nerdymel23. Thanks for the reminder floramaria. I vaguely remember Dr. B talking about toxins and speech issues and calculations. I think I didn't focus on it too much because my calculation ability is no worse than it ever was (I've always sucked on math!) but, of course everyone is unique and I don't have to suffer all the issues to have the same cause.

So far, I've tested negative on mercury and in or very near optimal level for homocysteine, all the B and E vitamins, pregnenolone, insulin, glucose, A1C. The only area so far that is off much is the DHEA, even though the pregnenolone is in the optimal range. I guess it's time to do more toxin testing. Thanks for the chapter 19 reference. I've got the second book but haven't read it yet.

Jim
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

JimH wrote:Thanks for the references, tincup and nerdymel23. Thanks for the reminder floramaria. I vaguely remember Dr. B talking about toxins and speech issues and calculations. I think I didn't focus on it too much because my calculation ability is no worse than it ever was (I've always sucked on math!) but, of course everyone is unique and I don't have to suffer all the issues to have the same cause.

So far, I've tested negative on mercury and in or very near optimal level for homocysteine, all the B and E vitamins, pregnenolone, insulin, glucose, A1C. The only area so far that is off much is the DHEA, even though the pregnenolone is in the optimal range. I guess it's time to do more toxin testing. Thanks for the chapter 19 reference. I've got the second book but haven't read it yet.

Jim
Congratulations, Jim, on having so many of your biomarkers in the optimal range! Keep us posted . In talks over the last year and a half or so, Dr Bredesen often says that toxicity is turning out to be much more common as a contributing factor than he initially thought. Definitely something we all need to be watching.
Randall
New User
New User

Post by Randall »

JimH wrote: So far, I've tested negative on mercury...
Jim
Hi Jim,
Out of curiosity, how did you test for mercury?
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Randall wrote: Hi Jim,
Hi Randall, Welcome to the ApoE4.Info Forums. Jim will probably answer you about how he tested, but meanwhile, I will tell you what I have done for testing. A few years ago I did the Doctor's Data urine test. The test I did was provoked, meaning that you collect a urine sample and then take a chelating agent orally, and then collect another sample of that urine. Since the chelating agent is only available by Rx, you need to go through a doctor to get this test. Doctor's Data also offers an at home hair test for heavy metals. I don't have any experience with that.

My Doctor's Data results showed high levels of Lead and cadmium. I did a yearlong chelation protocol, using the same chelating agent as in the test, DMSA, 3 days on, 11 days off. I didn't re-test until this year. A few months ago I did the Blood Metals Panel and Mercury TriTest from Quicksilver Scientific. You can check them out online at http://www.quicksilverscientific.com. The test is more expensive, but from what I have read and webinars I've heard, I've lost confidence in the provoked urine test. but that's just my opinion and I am not a doctor. A lot of doctors still use Doctor's Data and think they are fine. The Quicksilver test showed my Cadmium levels were still elevated. Now I am doing chelation therapy using Quicksilver's liposomal EDTA and other products from QS to support the detoxification process.

You can also get simple blood tests through your doctor, if he or she is willing, for blood levels of mercury, arsenic, cadmium and lead
as well as nutrient metals like copper , zinc, magnesium, selenium. The tests are not as sensitive as the QS test, but might be a (FREE! or inexpensive) place to start if you don't know or suspect that you were exposed to heavy metals. In my own case, I knew I had 3+ decades of exposure to powdered pigments that contained toxic metals. But for many people, getting the simple blood test and seeing that levels are not elevated is good enough.
seachangehealthcoach
Contributor
Contributor

Post by seachangehealthcoach »

Randall wrote:
JimH wrote: So far, I've tested negative on mercury...
Jim
Hi Jim,
Hi Jim,
Welcome to the ApoE4 community. We appreciate your curiosity and questions as they make our community and conversations truly meaningful. I would like to provide you with the following links just so you have them when you are ready to explore this forum more. I invite you to share your journey in the "Our Stories" link. Please keep in touch and best of luck to you.

How-To Guide

Primer

Our Stories

Wiki
Jennifer Balzano
Founder, SeaChange Health Coaching
M.A., B.S., Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
JimH
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JimH »

Thanks for the links!

Jim