Not Enough Calories While Doing a 16 Hour Fast

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
krp87b
New User
New User

Not Enough Calories While Doing a 16 Hour Fast

Post by krp87b »

I have a problem I’d like to see if anyone can address. I’ve been doing Dr. Bredesen’s protocol for the past two weeks. I’m fasting 16 hours a day and find it relatively easy. I was about 15 pounds over my goal weight. I also have the APOE4 gene. OK, now here’s my problem.

Years ago, I had a sleeve gastrectomy. So basically, I have a stomach that’s only 20% of the original size. So my problem is that I can’t eat enough “good” calories in the 8-hour eating window (2 meals). So I’m losing weight. But as I said, I had some weight to lose but not indefinitely. I’ve been eating only about 800-900 calories a day. Eating the “good” foods, I can’t seem to eat enough calories. I feel fine, but at 900 calories, I’ll keep losing weight if fasting. I’m eating until I feel stuffed, so I literally can’t eat any more volume in that 8-hour window. Before starting all of this, I would eat a little throughout the day and many more carbs. So I’d get the calories (and also gained a little weight over the years).

My goal is to get into ketosis (not measuring yet), so fasting and doing Dr. Bredesen’s protocol is essential.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do or change given my situation? Thanks so much for your advice.
CindyM
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Not Enough Calories While Doing a 16 Hour Fast

Post by CindyM »

krp87b wrote:I have a problem I’d like to see if anyone can address. I’ve been doing Dr. Bredesen’s protocol for the past two weeks. I’m fasting 16 hours a day and find it relatively easy. I was about 15 pounds over my goal weight. I also have the APOE4 gene. OK, now here’s my problem.

Years ago, I had a sleeve gastrectomy. So basically, I have a stomach that’s only 20% of the original size. So my problem is that I can’t eat enough “good” calories in the 8-hour eating window (2 meals). So I’m losing weight. But as I said, I had some weight to lose but not indefinitely. I’ve been eating only about 800-900 calories a day. Eating the “good” foods, I can’t seem to eat enough calories. I feel fine, but at 900 calories, I’ll keep losing weight if fasting. I’m eating until I feel stuffed, so I literally can’t eat any more volume in that 8-hour window. Before starting all of this, I would eat a little throughout the day and many more carbs. So I’d get the calories (and also gained a little weight over the years).

My goal is to get into ketosis (not measuring yet), so fasting and doing Dr. Bredesen’s protocol is essential.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do or change given my situation? Thanks so much for your advice.
Hello krp87b,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for reaching out!

Great job adhering to a 16-hour fast. It sounds like you are very motivated to get into ketosis and the benefits it offers for cognitive protection. The protocol, as you are discovering, is not a "one size fits all". Might you consider trying a 12-hour fast and use a free app like Cronometer to track proteins and fats, in addition to carbs? You may want to consider checking with the medical provider that did the original surgery, if possible, or consider a consultation with a bariatric surgery center that may have current experience advising patients using a ketogenic diet. Luckily, there are many individuals on this site that will be able to help you out with your questions.

If you haven't seen it already, I encourage you to check out our primer .This is a fantastic resource which explores areas such as the science behind the ApoE4 gene and the lifestyle factors that impact its expression. Our how-to guide is another helpful resource on how to search for topics and how to subscribe to topics of interest and more. You can also check out threads that have been started by other members in our stories, and share your story if you're comfortable.

Again, welcome! We are here to assist you, so please feel free to reach out any time!

Best,

CindyM
APoE4 Support Team Intern
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach