Any NORCAL folks interested in a get together?

Conferences, webinars, and other gatherings; online and in person.
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Any NORCAL folks interested in a get together?

Post by mike »

I sent group PMs to the other 14 who have expressed interest or have come in the past, and hopefully we'll see more than the 4 of us there!
Sonoma Mike
4/4
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

I've had two replies to my PMs, and it looks like we may get a couple of new folks coming, and 4 who have come before. My power went out last night - too bad work still had power... :( Hopefully this will all be over by Sunday!
Sonoma Mike
4/4
Trailrunner
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Trailrunner »

Hi Mike and NorCal group,
Mike, thank you for sending out the PM reminder and I apologize for not responding earlier. I am not going to make the meetup this month but I will absolutely try for the next get together.

Like you, my power was out Tuesday and just came back on at noon today. I foresee a generator in my future, although dry ice seemed to do a decent job (this time). Hope your power was restored yesterday or today.

Have a terrific get together. Mike, once again, thank you for coordinating!

Helen Day
PSu82537%a6r_dnz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PSu82537%a6r_dnz »

Hello all....
I just wanted to share a few notes from our meetup in Greenbrae on Sunday. It was a beautiful day, and a nice venue with pleasant outdoor seating. We had a total of five people attending. We had conversations over a number of topics. One of our members reported positive results from using a supplement called "resveratrol". Another of our members reported some very good results from efforts to establish a baseline neurological assessment. He had a consultation with a neurologist who compared a recent brain MRI to one taken some time ago, and the neurologist reported no signs of any worsening over the time between the two scans. Putting that together with a hippocampal volume scan from Neuro-Quant which also showed good results, our member reported feeling very satisfied with this baseline, and we celebrated with him. Another of our members reported an interesting experience with a clinical trial for investigation of a new drug. She had applied to, and been accepted into, this clinical trial but before actually taking any of the drug, she learned that the trial had been cancelled because of a discovery or suspicion that it might have been doing more harm than good. While it was disappointing to not be able to proceed with the trial, there was also a feeling that maybe she had "dodged a bullet" by escaping any possible harm that the drug might have caused. This same member reported participation in an online sleep study or sleep quality improvement program, which she is optimistic about. We admired her activist approach to our common concerns. We did a lot of discussion about sleep, and a wide variety among our members on how well we sleep and what we are doing to try to improve in that regard. One of our members described his comparison of the Oura Ring versus the Fitbit for sleep tracking. He felt that the Fitbit was better for general fitness and specifically real-time monitoring during a workout. But the Oura Ring was judged to be a bit better specifically for sleep tracking (at a notably higher cost.) We had a general discussion about the benefits of mutual support, both in the context of our specific group, and also in previous experiences one of our members described with group consultations on other medical problems. We all agreed that the meetup was well worthwhile and we will gather again in another three months.
Starfish77
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Starfish77 »

Thanks to Mike for organizing the meetup and PSu for the excellent summary. It was a lovely day and a perfect location for the meetup. I certainly got some good ideas and enjoyed being with the group. I left feeling extra motivated by our friends accomplishments.
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

The Scale that I discussed was the Omron® HBF-516B Full-Body Sensor Body Composition Monitor and Scale - costs about US $65. My wife got it because it was being used by Dr Fung in his lab. Cheaper than an Oura ring, and unlike Deep Sleep, body composition seems like something I can actually modify...
Sonoma Mike
4/4
cdamaden
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by cdamaden »

For those interested in the resveratrol I've been using, here's a link to it at amazon:

Chris
Chris
E4/E4
Alameda, CA, USA
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

What do folks think about pushing the meetups to every 4 months instead of 3? We could do the same location as last time, maybe on Sunday February 16, 2020 at 10 am?
Sonoma Mike
4/4
Starfish77
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Starfish77 »

Sunday Feb. 16, 2020 is fine for me. I vote for meeting every four month rather than three.
Starfish
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bosco »

I just came across this posting. Have people gotten together? I'm in Berkeley and would be interested in meeting other folks. Thanks, and I look forward to your reply. Best, Michael