Health, Cell Membranes and Phosphatidylcholine

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
hill dweller
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Health, Cell Membranes and Phosphatidylcholine

Post by hill dweller »

I watched the video that starts this thread. Stanislaw Burzynski? Really? Quite an accomplishment to win a James Randi award and be named one of Houston's 10 biggest embarrassments. Trust me, I've lived in Houston. Fine city, but lots of competition in the embarrassment market.
Harrison
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Harrison »

Stavia, I am still taking the choline I mentioned previously. I am considering phosphatidylethanolamine (either as an addition or replacement).

I was reminded by one caveat to all this by the link that circular provided to the work of Richard Wurtman. He has been researching choline for over 40 years, and has tried a few trials to show that choline improves cognition in adults. Short answer: choline supplementation does not improve cognition.

Using any form of choline (CDP-choline, phosphatidylcholine, etc) to prevent neurodegeneration is completely speculative at this point. I don't think it can hurt, so unless there is something else more beneficial that you can't afford to buy because of what you spend on choline products, I say why not?
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

I think I noticed more cognitive effect from adding Huperzine A to boost acetylcholine levels to help compensate for my hampered choline pathways, than I have for choline. But that's not the cell membrane issue itself. I continue choline hoping it helps the membranes but like Stavia need to dive in and refine my forms etc. Still know little about it but it's clearly an Achilles heal of mine.

Harrison, really appreciate your contributions on this. I know it pops up everywhere. Didn't know where to post that link while short on time.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
aringle
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: Health, Cell Membranes and Phosphatidylcholine

Post by aringle »

circular wrote:I think I noticed more cognitive effect from adding Huperzine A to boost acetylcholine levels to help compensate for my hampered choline pathways, than I have for choline. But that's not the cell membrane issue itself. I continue choline hoping it helps the membranes but like Stavia need to dive in and refine my forms etc. Still know little about it but it's clearly an Achilles heal of mine.

Harrison, really appreciate your contributions on this. I know it pops up everywhere. Didn't know where to post that link while short on time.
What dose of huperzine a do you take?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

I no longer take it, nor choline, but I can't remember why so maybe I should take it again :lol: I think I just felt that with those I was supplementing with things that I had not firm basis of knowing I needed. I have a hampered choline gene, but it doesn't mean it's actually hampering me. I'm for the most part - not strictly - trying to work with things that I actually test low in, and my health has improved more that way than just by trying things on theory (even though there are limits to that ... are blood values brain values etc.).
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
mimik67
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mimik67 »

Thanks for this thread.

I tried to get this conversation going buy asking about the Patricia Kane protocol because this is the focus of her life's work at this point, and she has had good luck with MCI reversal and early Altzheimers with her PC/butyrate protocols.

My friend a 3,4 is planning to post here about her work with Body bio lipid labs and intense PC/butyrate IV protocol to change her fatty acid profiles dramatically in a good direction. Oral supplementation shows good promise too but takes longer. Progress is mapped through the Body Bio blood lab.

Hopefully I get my friend over here soon to post an update. Stay tuned!
3,4 but no family history of Altzheimers. However, mother likely had CIRS
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

I've noticed that no choline supplement is included in Dr. Bredesen's basic plan for ReCODE (see pp. 234–235 in his book The End of Alzheimer's).

I've been taking Life Extensions' Cognizin CDP-Choline Caps, 500 mg per day, but I'm looking at other options. After skimming this thread, I'm considering stopping the CDP-choline. I recently came across Designs for Health's CogniAid supplement at a cost of $50 per month (but with my former doctor's discount code, it would cost $42.50 per month). The description of it states:
CogniAid™ is an herbal formula designed to help support healthy cognition, mood and memory. This product supplies herbs and extracts that have been shown to work through a variety of mechanisms, including helping to maintain proper levels of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine, as well as supporting healthy neurons and nerve impulse transmission. CogniAid™ contains a wildcrafted blueberry complex, a novel berry extract that in addition to blueberries uses extracts of huckleberries and bilberries. This product also features vinpocetine, Huperzine A (a naturally occurring alkaloid compound), the green tea polyphenol EGCg, and the Ayurvedic herb Bacopa monnieri.
Here's the Supplement Facts:
CogniAid.png
I don't know which ingredient(s) in this supplement helps to maintain proper levels of acetylcholine. Might anyone else know?

I'm sensitive to egg yolks, so I don't consume eggs. Also, at some point, I stopped Bacopa, and I'd like to start taking it again. Lastly, I've been taking vinpocentine, and maybe it's a coincidence, but the timing correlated with a decrease in mental fatigue.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

I just did a bit of reading about Huperzine. That's the ingredient that maintains good levels of acetylcholine.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
adriana268
Contributor
Contributor

Post by adriana268 »

is there a reason no one is supplementing with phosphoryl choline instead of the other choline types?