Stavia's Vegetarian very low fat trial

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Stavia's Vegetarian very low fat trial

Post by CarrieS »

Katiepants wrote:I hear ya. You sound pretty busy. I am new here and have been reading the primer. A lot og great info in it, thank you so much for taking the time and making the effort to compile it!
Hello and Welcome to the website Katiepants. I like your user name!
The Primer is indeed a great resource of information. I'm glad that you've found it and are finding it useful! If you haven't found it yet, a great way to navigate all of the information on this site is to use the Search function to find discussions that may interest you. Click on the 3 vertical dots to the right of your name and then click on Search and type in a key word. The Wiki is found within those 3 dots too. I believe that you will find these forums as a great resource of information and knowledge. I look forward to learning more about you, your journey and your questions and insights.
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
NonnaEgea
Contributor
Contributor

Post by NonnaEgea »

So cool to be self experimenting! I am so looking forward to your summary and comments.
I have been practicing IF for last 3 years and mostly LCHF. A niece who is vegan came to visit for 3 weeks so obviously we all indulged more vegan than other, which surprisingly felt great and I have continued for last six months since her departure. I am planning to get a lipid panel and A1C to determine additional benefits (hopefully).
GLS18
Contributor
Contributor

Post by GLS18 »

NonnaEgea wrote:So cool to be self experimenting! I am so looking forward to your summary and comments.
I have been practicing IF for last 3 years and mostly LCHF. A niece who is vegan came to visit for 3 weeks so obviously we all indulged more vegan than other, which surprisingly felt great and I have continued for last six months since her departure. I am planning to get a lipid panel and A1C to determine additional benefits (hopefully).
Hi again NonnaEgea!

Thanks for sharing and I am glad that you are feeling great. What foods have you incorporated and removed following a vegan diet as opposed to a LCHF diet?

Wishing you well with your experimentation and please keep us posted!
Gina
Reversing Cognitive Decline For Coaches Certification Candidate, Fall 2018
"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." - Mahatma Gandhi
NonnaEgea
Contributor
Contributor

Post by NonnaEgea »

Sorry, I took so long to reply. I have not been religious, but am eating less meat, but alas too many carbs. Much to my disappointment, i have put on weight (about 5 lbs) and my bloodwork is not significantly better LDL192, HDL64, Total 283, TriG 135. Aig 4,1, fasting Glucose 2,51. I am confused and struggling with the weight issue. I do daily fasts every now and then, I do intermittent fasting every day. Never eating before 11 (mostly 1p. to 5 or 6 pm, but still weight will not come off. Not sure why. Too many carbs? Intermittent fasting not good for me?
At least, it seems my insulin is not a problem.
kimberlamb
New User
New User

Post by kimberlamb »

Very curious if there's any update on this?
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

kimberlamb wrote:Very curious if there's any update on this?
Welcome, kimberlamb!

As "Stavia" the author of the initial post on her plan for a "vegetarian, very low fat trial" posted sometime in the last year or so "life gets in the way". She has a busier life than I do, since she's a physician with a busy family-medicine practice who also travels quite a bit. So I'm not sure if she ever did her "trial". That is meant not as a"punishment" but as a personal experiment to see whether we feel better or worse, or have improved sleep, thinking, energy etc. on a particular diet, exercise plan or supplements.

So while we don't have any update from Stavia, if you're interested in the role of "healthy fats" you may want to check out our Wiki, particularly the section on Fats, Omega 3 & 6, DHA and more. Stavia herself is the author of the Primer which has a great list and explanation of basic strategies that are likely to benefit all of us in our health and happiness!
4/4 and still an optimist!
HopefulCaroline
Contributor
Contributor

Post by HopefulCaroline »

kimberlamb wrote:Very curious if there's any update on this?
kimberlamb,

Welcome to our community and Happy New Year! Although I can't add anything beyond what NF52 said regarding status of Stavia's 'vegetarian, very low fat trial' and pointing you in the direction of some great site resources such as the primer and wiki, I would like to welcome you and encourage you to share your story in the Our Stories section if you are so inclined. We'd love to get to know you better. The search function is also helpful for finding specific information across the site.

Please reach out if we can help further.

Sincerely,
Caroline
Caroline
ApoE4.info Intern
“What grows never grows old.” -Noah Benshea
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Hi kimberlamb - no I never did it properly, it was just far too hard to work out the macros to fit with what is optimal for me. The protein was really difficult to get to 60 grams (which I find best for me) while keeping the carbs low enough and the fat high enough. All whole food vegetarian protein sources come mixed with a significant amount of carbs. I did start, but just couldnt keep the carbs low enough to stay in ketosis with whole food. And I wasnt going to just eat coconut oil or processed pea protein. I try really hard to only eat whole foods and it became apparant that my intent was impossible.
I can see how a traditional vegetarian/vegan diet works - it is easiest to do it with a diet that is low fat/high carb. And how they have become linked. But I need a bit of ketosis to be cognitively at my best.

But if anyone has tried...

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Stavia wrote:Hi kimberlamb - no I never did it properly, it was just far too hard to work out the macros to fit with what is optimal for me. The protein was really difficult to get to 60 grams (which I find best for me) while keeping the carbs low enough and the fat high enough. All whole food vegetarian protein sources come mixed with a significant amount of carbs. I did start, but just couldnt keep the carbs low enough to stay in ketosis with whole food. And I wasnt going to just eat coconut oil or processed pea protein. I try really hard to only eat whole foods and it became apparant that my intent was impossible.
I can see how a traditional vegetarian/vegan diet works - it is easiest to do it with a diet that is low fat/high carb. And how they have become linked. But I need a bit of ketosis to be cognitively at my best.

Stavia, a valuable report indeed. You did the trial properly for you, and I suspect many others as well whose optimal eating pattern is much like yours :)
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
zc_hl
Contributor
Contributor

Post by zc_hl »

Stavia wrote:Hi kimberlamb - no I never did it properly, it was just far too hard to work out the macros to fit with what is optimal for me. The protein was really difficult to get to 60 grams (which I find best for me) while keeping the carbs low enough and the fat high enough. All whole food vegetarian protein sources come mixed with a significant amount of carbs. I did start, but just couldnt keep the carbs low enough to stay in ketosis with whole food. And I wasnt going to just eat coconut oil or processed pea protein. I try really hard to only eat whole foods and it became apparant that my intent was impossible.

What did make you change your mind on the low fat part of this experimentation?

I believe that vegan/vegetarian should accomodate more easily with low fat than low carb.