New Article Re Nutrient Intake, Amyloid & Glucose Metabolism

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
pal
Contributor
Contributor

New Article Re Nutrient Intake, Amyloid & Glucose Metabolism

Post by pal »

Article published this week in British Medical Journal:

http://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/4/6/e004 ... l.pdf+html

"Results: Controlling for age and total caloric intake, higher intake of vitamin B12, vitamin D and ω-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid (PUFA) was associated with lower Aβ load in AD regions on PiB-PET, while higher intake of β-carotene and folate was associated with higher glucose metabolism on FDG-PET. β-carotene and folate were associated with reduced glucose metabolism for women, apolipoprotein E epsilon 4 (APOE4) carriers and participants with positive AD family history, but not for their risk-free counterparts. The associations of vitamin B12, vitamin D and ω-3 PUFA with PiB retention were independent of gender, APOE and family history. The identified nutrient combination was associated with higher intake of vegetables, fruit, whole grains, fish and legumes, and lower intake of high-fat dairies, meat and sweets."

"Among all nutrients examined, β-carotene and folate from food sources were positively associated with brain glucose metabolism in several ROIs (p≤0.05; figure 1, table 2). Results remained unchanged using the combined nutrient intake from food and supplements. There were no associations between nutrients from supplements only and glucose metabolism in any ROI. As supplements did not appear to have significant effects, and less than half of our participants were taking multi- vitamins at the time of the examination, results from β-carotene and folate from food sources are presented in what follows. Adjustment for education, ethnicity, BMI and alcohol consumption did not attenuate the relationships between β-carotene, folate and glucose metabolism, while gender, family history and APOE status showed significant interaction effects with β-carotene and folate."

"This brain imaging study shows that higher intake of vitamin B12, vitamin D and ω-3 PUFA EPA from food sources was associated with lower Aβ load, and higher β-carotene and folate intake was associated with higher brain glucose metabolism in NL individuals. Higher consumption of saturated fats was associated with lower brain glucose metabolism, albeit weakly. These data indicate that a healthy diet rich in natural folate, β-carotene, ω-3 PUFA, vitamin B12 and vitamin D might be particularly useful to support healthy brain ageing. The identified ‘AD-protective’ nutrients were associated with higher intake of vegetables, fruit, whole grains, fish and legumes, and with lower intake of high-fat dairies, processed meat and sweets."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: New Article Re Nutrient Intake, Amyloid & Glucose Metabo

Post by Stavia »

Yipee!

Well done Pal in seeing this.
I also see for APOe4 positive women, satured fat is bad...nice to see it confirmed.
Welcomeaboard
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Welcomeaboard »

I like the concept of this study as it seems to indicate that you can avoid AD. Now they need to do a study with advanced AD avoidance strategies, such as we are or should be performing, as In vitamin D3 supplementation, bio available turmeric, increased antioxidants food sources such as green tea, flavonals. We could see that women are different than men, which had been obvious to me, my whole life, so I am glad they have agreed as well. Basically, I believe the results can be improved upon.
Was I reading that they thought decreased glucose metabolism was bad? However they did not state that they saw increased ketone metabolism in decreased glucose metabolism, etc
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Pal, interesting paper. Crazy mixed results :shock:

So, everyone (including E4 carriers) benefitted from higher intake of vitamin B12, vitamin D and ω-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid (PUFA)- yay! Whereas, E4 carriers, especially women showed even further reductions in glucose metabolism with beta carotene and folate- huh?

I like the idea of correlating nutrient intake with cerebral glucose metabolism. We know E4 carriers demonstrate cerebral glucose deficiencies, in the same brain regions as AD patients, years (even decades) prior to symptoms showing. According to the paper, by increasing our dietary intake of beta carotene & folic acid, we even further debilitate our glucose metabolism. This is especially true for E4 women. :?

The foods that were positively correlated with improved glucose metabolism are:
-B12: meat, eggs and butter with correlation coefficients of 0.35, 0.31 and 0.36, respectively, (p<0.04).
-Vitamin D: low-fat dairies and fish (0.64 and 0.55, p<0.001)
-ω-3 PUFA EPA: from fish and other vegetables (0.36 and 0.31, p<0.01).

The foods that further impaired cerebral glucose metabolism for E4 carriers (especially women) are:
β-carotene: dark leaf, green leafy and cruciferous vegetables and fresh fruit, with correlation coefficients of 0.82, 0.77, 0.69 and 0.53, respectively, (p≤0.001).
Folic acid- grains, legumes, cruciferous vegetables and fresh fruit (0.44, 0.34, 0.32 and 0.30; p≤0.04)

Before I abandon dark leafy greens, cruciferous vegetables, legumes, and fresh fruit, (I've already given up grains,) I'd like to see this replicated with a larger sample size. There were only 16 E4 carriers in this study. Can anyone speculate as to the mechanism for this unexpected correlation :?:

Regarding saturated fat, I'm less convinced it's negatively associated with reduced cerebral glucose metabolism. Look at the foods comprising the B12 group, showing benefit to E4 carriers and all groups: meat, butter, eggs. All are high in SFA. The foods that comprised saturated fats in this paper were: high fat dairies, salad dressing, fried potatoes, sweets and processed meat (0.65, 0.52, 0.5, 0.45, 0.41, p≤0.003). Little surprise there, with the exception of high fat dairy. I suspect an unhealthy user bias at play there. Those whom engage in behaviors perceived to be unhealthy are more likely to engage in other unhealthy behaviors. In other words, having a slice of cake or plate of cookies with that glass of high fat dairy might account for that discrepancy. Whereas a healthy user bias may account for the positive association of low fat dairy in the Vitamin D group. Those who drink low fat dairy probably also consume more healthful foods overall. :idea:

The healthfulness of SFA for our population is up for debate. This paper gives a clear thumbs up to meat, butter, eggs and encourages consumption from a young age to gain maximum benefit. I'm especially focused on egg consumption given the importance of phosphatidylcholine derived from the Georgetown group's recent work. Indeed, a Framingham paper, used as a reference to this one, concurs that the highest level of phosphatyidlycholine was associated with a 47% reduction in the risk of developing all-cause dementia.

Plasma phosphatidylcholine docosahexaenoic acid content and risk of dementia and Alzheimer disease: the Framingham Heart Study.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17101822

I'm still eating about a dozen pastured eggs a week with great confidence they are neuroprotective. I'm less convinced I need to give up dark leafy greens, cruciferous vegetables, legumes, and fresh fruit :?
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

My pea brain has been working overtime, speculating as to WHY foods rich in beta carotene are negatively associated with cerebral glucose metabolism in E4 carriers, especially women, even more so for women with a family history of AD.

I came up with a plausible theory. Many foods, rich in beta carotene & folate, are also high in glucose: sweet potatoes, carrots, yams, grains, fruits, etc. This might account for why those MOST susceptible were unable to benefit. We already know high BG negatively correlates with cerebral glucose metabolism. Perhaps E4 carriers could still benefit from beta carotene & folic acid in foods with a low glycemic index :idea:

EDIT: Scratch that theory (or some of it.) The foods that comprised beta carotene in this paper were : dark leaf, green leafy and cruciferous vegetables. The grains and fruit could still cause BG elevations. In the words of Susan: "time for a nap."
Welcomeaboard
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Welcomeaboard »

What I was looking at is that we know Vitamin D3 from studies decrease plaques. Mr. Mej favorite idea was Vitamin A for the hippocampus. We know that iron(too much is bad). We have no idea what their vitamin d3 25hydroxy level was. I agree there needs to be more info on the diet, Julie.
Welcomeaboard
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Welcomeaboard »

By the way processed meats and fried potatoes as in French fries and salad dressing as well as grains and sweets can have gluten in them and if they had a gluten sensitivity that it could effect the guts ability to absorb things. Sweets such as cookies and cakes, etc can have gluten as well. Even Kirkoman soy sauce has wheat. Along with beer.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Julie, I read this paper with the meaning that the higher glucose metabolism in the brain was good...ie impaired glucose metabolism was bad. It was very confusing initially the way it was worded....
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

I'm reading it the same way, Stavia.. but you may have missed this relevant nugget:
β-carotene and folate were associated with reduced glucose metabolism for women, apolipoprotein E epsilon 4 (APOE4) carriers and participants with positive AD family history, but not for their risk-free counterparts.
So, dark leafy greens, cruciferous vegetables, legumes, grains, and fresh fruit REDUCED glucose metabolism for E4 carriers (especially women & those with a family history) :shock: How do we explain this?
Welcomeaboard
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Welcomeaboard »

What I saw was they said increased fat intake was associated with lower glucose metabolism albeit weakley and sited two studies number 51 a Rotterdam study in 1997 and number 52 a study in 2003. So I would suggest reading them and then also see if there are newer or better studies confirming or disagreeing with number 51 and 52.