New Article Re Nutrient Intake, Amyloid & Glucose Metabolism

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Sandraz
Contributor
Contributor

Re: New Article Re Nutrient Intake, Amyloid & Glucose Metabo

Post by Sandraz »

I second that! :D
Sandra z
Sandra Z
E4,E4
Welcomeaboard
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Welcomeaboard »

Nice letter, Julie, it would be nice to get a response. At least they will know people are examining their work.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Julie G wrote:Here's a copy of the email I sent to Dr. Mosconi trying to clear up the contradictions in this paper. I'll share her reply when and if I receive one :D
While delving into my C,C result on SLC30A8 rs13266634, I find myself time traveling to this discussion in 2014. Julie did you ever hear back from Dr. Mosconi? I'm assuming not or you would have posted here again, but you've been doing so much other good work, perhaps you just never had time to report back?

My fasting insulin is always low (2), so I wondered … is it low because I'm insulin sensitive or because I don't produce enough? Then I realized that my fasting glucose and A1c are normal (my A1c is a little high by Bredesen's standards, but it flucatuates widely below pre-diabetes, and I think I'm comfortable with that), so insulin must be available and doing its job.

Could my C,C result on SLC30A8 rs13266634 be yet another example of what looks like a genetic problem not in fact being one at the individual level? Or, could it potentially not be a problem in the periphery yet be a problem in the brain? :shock:

In Rhonda Patrick's writeup on SLC30A8 rs13266634 in my genetic report from her, she states:
In a gene-diet interaction study, researchers investigating a different SNP (rs11558471) in the SLC30A8 gene showed that subjects with the risk allele and higher zinc intake (food sources and supplements) had lower fasting glucose levels than risk individuals with lower zinc intake. This suggests that individuals with the risk allele may benefit from zinc supplementation to promote adequate glucose homeostasis and reduced risk of T2DM.
My serum zinc has been on the floor of the normal range until I recently (finally) found the right zinc form and timing to bring it up. But maybe I've had enough dietary zinc all along to keep SLC30A8 rs13266634 C,C from being an issue and showing up in high glucose measurements. Perhaps I always had decent RBC zinc despite low serum zinc. So next I need to spend up for an RBC zinc lab and make sure I'm not overdoing it.

JTOL (new for "just thinking out loud")
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.