eating 2 cups of nuts . too much fat? CALORIES?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Torimintz
Contributor
Contributor

eating 2 cups of nuts . too much fat? CALORIES?

Post by Torimintz »

I am eating almost 2 cups of nuts (raw almonds, walnuts, macadamia, pecans, pistachios), and goat milk yogurt, omega 3, olive oil, coconut oil... a lot in my diet, yet I have not gained an ounce. I seem to poop a lot, and I mean a lot... which means that I am not digesting the fat.
I used to eat a strict low fat diet of only 1400 a day and couldn't lose any weight... but now I am eating 2000 calories a day (high in fat) and I am not gaining weight and have more energy... so weird.
MY QUESTION... is this too much fat? I have 4/4 and am reding GUNDRY and PERLMUTTER
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: eating 2 cups of nuts . too much fat? CALORIES?

Post by Julie G »

I am eating almost 2 cups of nuts (raw almonds, walnuts, macadamia, pecans, pistachios), and goat milk yogurt, omega 3, olive oil, coconut oil... a lot in my diet, yet I have not gained an ounce. I seem to poop a lot, and I mean a lot... which means that I am not digesting the fat.
I used to eat a strict low fat diet of only 1400 a day and couldn't lose any weight... but now I am eating 2000 calories a day (high in fat) and I am not gaining weight and have more energy... so weird.
MY QUESTION... is this too much fat? I have 4/4 and am reding GUNDRY and PERLMUTTER
Hard to say what's too much You report being able to lose weight whereas you couldn't before. Are you at a healthy BMI now? You also report more energy. Overall, sounds good to me, but I might be missing something... Kudos on your improvements! :D
SoCalGuy
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SoCalGuy »

I was eating a lot of macadamia nuts and consuming nearly a liter of olive oil a week when I was following the Gundry protocol. I was going through an 8oz container of macadamia nuts every couple days!

I didn't have any negative experience other than the diet can get very monotonous and it can be tough to eat out or eat with friends and family. I was in mild ketosis back then, my protein consumption was probably a little too high to allow me to get into deep ketosis. I was consuming no carbs other than those from plant sources (broccoli, avocado, etc).
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Torimintz wrote: I seem to poop a lot, and I mean a lot... which means that I am not digesting the fat.
Why do you think you aren't digesting the fat? Here's a description of too much fat in the stool:
If you have steatorrhea, your stools will be bulkier, pale, and foul-smelling. They tend to float because of higher gas content. The stools also tend to be covered in a greasy film. Drops of oil may be seen in the water inside the toilet bowl.
You may be getting more fiber in those nuts than you think!
Slacker
E4/E4
roxanne
Contributor
Contributor

Post by roxanne »

Torimintz wrote:I am eating almost 2 cups of nuts (raw almonds, walnuts, macadamia, pecans, pistachios), and goat milk yogurt, omega 3, olive oil, coconut oil... a lot in my diet, yet I have not gained an ounce. I seem to poop a lot, and I mean a lot... which means that I am not digesting the fat.
As Slacker said, you might be getting a lot of fiber, which, in my opinion, is great. Enjoy the increase in energy. I eat high fat, like you, except for the coconut oil, which increases my LDL substantially.
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Fiver »

have you had you gall bladder removed, by chance? that can make it harder to absorb fats in the diet, at least that's how I understand it.
kayell
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kayell »

This is a very, very late response to the OP, but since it didn't seem to be addressed, I thought it worth mentioning.

Poop is mostly composed of water, bacteria, fiber. That's all good and may even indicate that lots of poop production indicates good things going on if the majority of the bacteria is good bacteria.

"Normally, feces are made up of 75 percent water and 25 percent solid matter. About 30 percent of the solid matter consists of dead bacteria; about 30 percent consists of indigestible food matter such as cellulose; 10 to 20 percent is cholesterol and other fats; 10 to 20 percent is inorganic substances such as calcium phosphate and iron phosphate; and 2 to 3 percent is protein." https://www.britannica.com/science/feces
E4/E4