Best diet for women 4/4’s?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
apoe4homozyg
Contributor
Contributor

Best diet for women 4/4’s?

Post by apoe4homozyg »

Hi everyone,
I introduced myself in the Our Stories section. I’m pretty new here. I’ve read the primer and many posts (including wiki entries) re diet. I’ve also been doing my own research. I’m totally confused and need some help. Until learning my 4/4 status last week I was eating a totally low fat vegan diet, which included pasta, meat alternatives, tofu, bread, legumes. A typical meal would be a dal (Indian bean stew—no oil, lots of turmeric, cinnamon, ginger, garlic) and brown rice or pasta with tomato sauce and a meat alternative (e.g., Boca burger, Beyond meat, etc.). I didn’t eat much sugar besides hidden sugar (and even then I always look for the lowest sugar in sauces, ingredients, etc.). I drank socially and also with dinner (mostly red wine, vodka, or whiskey). Now I’m baffled about what to eat. I read that red wine is ok, except not for women or 4/4’s. I read legumes are ok in one study, then I read those folks who say lectins are bad so avoid legumes. I read processed food is bad, so I cut out the meat alternatives. I read unfermented soy is bad so I cut out tofu and edamame. There’s conflicting science on grains so I cut out grains. I read that pasture eggs and wild SMASH fish are ok, so I added those, but I don’t like them, eating them goes against my morals (not judging anyone who doesn’t have a moral problem with them), and I also wonder how eating eggs and fish can be good for my cholesterol. I’ve cut out gluten. I’ve cut back carbs to under 50 g per day. I’ve eliminated alcohol. Right now I’m pretty much surviving on salad, eggs, nuts, salmon, and organic blueberries because these are the only foods that I haven’t read something negative about for female 4/4’s. I’m eating about 800 calories a day when I used to eat twice as many. I work out hard each day. I’m 41. I’m miserable and totally baffled by all the conflicting views plus the often opposite results for women or 4/4’s in these studies (e.g., red wine). Can anyone point me to the latest, best advice re diet specifically for women 4/4’s? Or just give me some advice on how to proceed with a diet plan that’s probably not going to do harm? Anyone else just feel completely confused? Is the Bredesen protocol the best thing to try and I should just ignore everything else? Anything I should modify because I’m a woman and 4/4? Thank you in advance!
43 yo premenopausal female 4/4 with strong family history & sibling with EO
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Best diet for women 4/4’s?

Post by mike »

apoe4homozyg wrote:Right now I’m pretty much surviving on salad, eggs, nuts, salmon, and organic blueberries because these are the only foods that I haven’t read something negative about for female 4/4’s. I’m eating about 800 calories a day when I used to eat twice as many. I work out hard each day. I’m 41. I’m miserable and totally baffled by all the conflicting views plus the often opposite results for women or 4/4’s in these studies (e.g., red wine). Can anyone point me to the latest, best advice re diet specifically for women 4/4’s? Or just give me some advice on how to proceed with a diet plan that’s probably not going to do harm? Anyone else just feel completely confused? Is the Bredesen protocol the best thing to try and I should just ignore everything else? Anything I should modify because I’m a woman and 4/4? Thank you in advance!
If you eliminate everything that anyone has said something negative about, there isn't much left... 800 calories a day long term is NOT ok. There is a lot of debate on this site about best diet, but none of them say to starve yourself. The main constant is low carbs. I eat meat, but many here do not. The non-meat eaters tend to talk about using salads, etc. to deliver olive and avocado oil. You will want to get about 70% of your calories from fat, with the remaining coming mostly from protein. I will let others debate the best non-meat protein, but it is critical to get enough, from where ever.
Sonoma Mike
4/4
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

That's because there is no consensus. It is very confusing. Most of us here believe we should limit the amount of meat we eat. Limit alcohol. Prioritize vegetables and fruits. If you are healthy with no MCI, then your low fat vegan diet is great. If you do have MCI, then a mostly vegan keto may be the answer.

The research in the plant-based community (Dr. Michael Greger and others) encourages eating whole grains and legumes. Dr. Perlmutter and Dr. Gundry and Dr. Bredesen to some extent advise again grains and lectins.
Here's Dr. Greger dispelling the myth of grains and AD: https://nutritionfacts.org/video/alzhei ... -meathead/

I am clearly biased toward the WFPB approach (I do not have MCI, so no keto diet). I find these science-based book reviews significant. It includes reviews of the China Study, the Plant Parodox, and Grain Brain:
https://www.redpenreviews.org/reviews/

You need to find what resonates with you.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CarrieS »

apoe4homozyg wrote:Hi everyone,
I introduced myself in the Our Stories section. I’m pretty new here. I’ve read the primer and many posts (including wiki entries) re diet. I’ve also been doing my own research. I’m totally confused and need some help. Until learning my 4/4 status last week I was eating a totally low fat vegan diet, which included pasta, meat alternatives, tofu, bread, legumes. A typical meal would be a dal (Indian bean stew—no oil, lots of turmeric, cinnamon, ginger, garlic) and brown rice or pasta with tomato sauce and a meat alternative (e.g., Boca burger, Beyond meat, etc.). I didn’t eat much sugar besides hidden sugar (and even then I always look for the lowest sugar in sauces, ingredients, etc.). I drank socially and also with dinner (mostly red wine, vodka, or whiskey). Now I’m baffled about what to eat. I read that red wine is ok, except not for women or 4/4’s. I read legumes are ok in one study, then I read those folks who say lectins are bad so avoid legumes. I read processed food is bad, so I cut out the meat alternatives. I read unfermented soy is bad so I cut out tofu and edamame. There’s conflicting science on grains so I cut out grains. I read that pasture eggs and wild SMASH fish are ok, so I added those, but I don’t like them, eating them goes against my morals (not judging anyone who doesn’t have a moral problem with them), and I also wonder how eating eggs and fish can be good for my cholesterol. I’ve cut out gluten. I’ve cut back carbs to under 50 g per day. I’ve eliminated alcohol. Right now I’m pretty much surviving on salad, eggs, nuts, salmon, and organic blueberries because these are the only foods that I haven’t read something negative about for female 4/4’s. I’m eating about 800 calories a day when I used to eat twice as many. I work out hard each day. I’m 41. I’m miserable and totally baffled by all the conflicting views plus the often opposite results for women or 4/4’s in these studies (e.g., red wine). Can anyone point me to the latest, best advice re diet specifically for women 4/4’s? Or just give me some advice on how to proceed with a diet plan that’s probably not going to do harm? Anyone else just feel completely confused? Is the Bredesen protocol the best thing to try and I should just ignore everything else? Anything I should modify because I’m a woman and 4/4? Thank you in advance!
Hello apoe4homozyg and welcome.
Plumster and Mike have given you some great observations. With all of the information out there, it is hard to know which way to turn. I agree with Plumster "You need to find what resonates with you." We are all unique so listening to our bodies will help us figure out what works and doesn't work for us. Monitoring your blood glucose can give you a clue as to how your body reacts to each food and help you learn which foods to cut out or eat to keep your glucose readings stable. Keeping a food log and paying attention to how you feel after eating can be eye opening. Eliminating and adding foods back in can be surprising too. A friend of mine can't tolerate much fat or animal protein. You may just find that what you were doing was just right for you.

You can also choose to start with paying attention to other lifestyle aspects of the protocol rather than food. You may want to chose to take small steps towards improving your sleep if needed. Stress reduction, meditation or practicing gratitude may be the step that is just right for you. Maybe easing in to intermittent fasting is the place to start. Are there environmental concerns to address (like mold or heavy metals). It can be overwhelming to have all of these options and know where we should start. Again, "what resonates with you"? Is there something that your inner voice is leading you towards? I admire your courage to reach out and ask for help with your questions. I believe that you'll find this community to be warm, supportive and a wealth of knowledge for the crazy journey called APOe4!
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
SunnySideUp
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SunnySideUp »

"I read that pasture eggs and wild SMASH fish are ok, so I added those, but I don’t like them, eating them goes against my morals"

Another viewpoint about eggs. I am 4/4 and a vegetarian for kindness reasons. I eat a lot of eggs for my protein but I won't eat supermarket eggs. We've all learned the miserable lot in life a commercial hen endures at a CAFO. Some commercial organic egg producers are not much better. I eat what our family calls "Happy Eggs" from our own 13 hens. The girls are free to roam anywhere they want on our 4 acres and eat bugs, ticks, worms, grass, kitchen scraps and organic hen ration. Their poop gets collected from the coop where they sleep at night and fertilizes our gardens. I'm sure others here know of hen personalities - at the risk of sounding anthropomorphic - they are so happy to see us each day and I'm pretty sure they don't mind giving us their eggs. It's win-win for all. If you can't raise them in your backyard, you'll want to investigate a source. Craigslist will have family farms advertising pastured eggs in your area. Visit and judge for yourself if the hens are happy.

You cannot beat the taste of a "happy egg."
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

apoe4homozyg wrote:Or just give me some advice on how to proceed with a diet plan that’s probably not going to do harm?
To loosely quote Stavia, the best diet for you will be the one that you can follow for the long haul.

That said, do look at your lab results to help determine if your food choices are helping or hurting:
- are your inflammatory markers low? (if not, consider an elimination or AIP diet for a short while to see what might be the culprit, or just cut out gluten and soy to start)
- are you insulin sensitive? (A1c normal, triglycerides low, fasting insulin low)
- are your basic vitamins in normal range? (especially D, folate and B12, but others, too)
- is your homocysteine low (< 7)?
- are your lipids okay?

For other places to look, check out the primer as a place to start. We are all unique in what diet works best of each of us.
apoe4homozyg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by apoe4homozyg »

Thank you all so much for the advice! It’s really helpful and I appreciate it.
43 yo premenopausal female 4/4 with strong family history & sibling with EO
swedishrealtor
New User
New User

Post by swedishrealtor »

Hi
I’m a 63 yr old woman who is 4/4 Keep hearing about different diets. I eat no red meat, like chicken and fish
Eat very little sugar, rarely eat fried foods, light red wine. Lots of fresh organic fruits and veggies

Having heavy metal test done next month then will redo my blood tests to get current reading. My naturopath is helpful. I’d there s
A particular element we should keep an eye on?

I am looking to loose 15 extra pounds that unkindly has decided to attach itself to my tummy and thighs. Lol just rude! [emoji41]
Keto? I’d appreciate any advice you can throw out to a rookie. Much love
CG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CarrieS »

swedishrealtor wrote:Hi
I’m a 63 yr old woman who is 4/4 Keep hearing about different diets. I eat no red meat, like chicken and fish
Eat very little sugar, rarely eat fried foods, light red wine. Lots of fresh organic fruits and veggies

Having heavy metal test done next month then will redo my blood tests to get current reading. My naturopath is helpful. I’d there s

I am looking to loose 15 extra pounds that unkindly has decided to attach itself to my tummy and thighs. Lol just rude! [emoji41]
CG
Hello Swedishrealtor and Welcome to the Community,
It appears that you are off to a great start with a healthy diet, testing and a helpful provider. Diet and Keto is a confusing topic at best. Since you are new to the Forums, you may want to check out our Primer written by physician member Stavia. The Primer is loaded with great information to help you make decisions that are right for you and at the pace that works for you. What works for one person may not work for another - hence some of the confusion. There are people here that advocate controlling our blood glucose as more important than being in ketosis to help you personalize your diet. There are people who can easily get into and maintain ketosis and others that have a harder time. Sleep, Meditation, Intermittent Fasting and Exercise also play a very important role for us. There is a ton of information available through the forum posts and the Wiki to help you figure out what works best for you. This How To Guide is a very valuable resource that will help you in searching, posting, replying, etc. Glad that you joined us and I look forward to your posts.
APOe4/4
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
DebS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DebS »

swedishrealtor wrote:Hi

CG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hello and welcome swedishrealtor!

I second CarrieS's suggestion to start with the Primer as it will give you prioritized preventive measures you can take. I do have to also congratulate you on the healthy habits you already have. You are starting out ahead of the game! Remember that genetics is only part of the equation. Your lifestyle choices such as your healthy diet, getting regular exercise, reducing stress and making sleep a priority play a large part.

You have found a wonderful resource for information and support. When you are ready, you may also want to introduce yourself in the Our Stories forum. Please feel free to post any questions you have. I look forward to seeing your future posts.
Deb
National Board Certified Health and Wellness Coach
Certified Reversing Cognitive Decline