Any thoughts on lecithin (phosphatidylcholine)?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Post Reply
nmlss
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:17 pm

Any thoughts on lecithin (phosphatidylcholine)?

Post by nmlss »

These studies got me interested:
https://stm.sciencemag.org/content/13/583/eaaz4564
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12637119/
https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/1 ... OBTYey94qY

On the other hand, some studies show increased mortality/cancer risk:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27826198
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27773818
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2643856
http://jcmtjournal.com/article/view/1532
http://www.nature.com/articles/srep40802
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3604886

It seems like getting the RDA (550 mg/d for men) consistently can be tricky. Eggs is on of the most abundant sources, but one would need to eat at least 4 every day:
https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Choli ... fessional/

Would love to know what everyone else thinks!
User avatar
Tincup
Mod
Mod
Posts: 3146
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:57 pm
Location: Front Range, CO

Re: Any thoughts on lecithin (phosphatidylcholine)?

Post by Tincup »

nmlss wrote:Would love to know what everyone else thinks!
I'm sensitive to eggs. In a meeting with Dr. Dayan Goodenowe reviewing my plasmalogen blood test around the beginning of June, he suggested something over 1 TBL/day of the NOW phosphatidylcholine product and maybe 1/3 of that for my 4/4 wife (based on our test results).
Tincup
E3,E4
nmlss
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:17 pm

Re: Any thoughts on lecithin (phosphatidylcholine)?

Post by nmlss »

Tincup wrote:
nmlss wrote:Would love to know what everyone else thinks!
I'm sensitive to eggs. In a meeting with Dr. Dayan Goodenowe reviewing my plasmalogen blood test around the beginning of June, he suggested something over 1 TBL/day of the NOW phosphatidylcholine product and maybe 1/3 of that for my 4/4 wife (based on our test results).
Interesting, what test was that exactly? Is there a good article on the test, reference ranges, etc?

Also, how much is 1 tbl exactly in mg?

Thank you!
Last edited by nmlss on Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Tincup
Mod
Mod
Posts: 3146
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:57 pm
Location: Front Range, CO

Re: Any thoughts on lecithin (phosphatidylcholine)?

Post by Tincup »

nmlss wrote: Interesting, what test was that exactly? Is there a good article on the test, reference ranges, etc?
Also, I'm curious how much is 1 tb exactly in mg?
This is the NOW product, you can look at the label image

This is the redacted test.
Male plasmalogen test May 2021.pdf
Without Dr. G's interpretation, I would have no clue. Before the consult, I thought I was not in great shape. He told my wife & I he almost never sees results this good. He said we'd mitigated our E4 risk (she's a 4/4). We were beta testers of his neuro plasmalogen supplement and had been taking for ~18 months prior. This was our first test. Told me to keep taking 1 ml/day and my wife to double for a few months and then drop back on the supplement. I'm 66 and my wife is 61. In addition to the NOW product, he suggested increasing my iron intake.

This is his site. He has a new book. This is the test & supplement site.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tincup
E3,E4
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Posts: 5415
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:43 am

Re: Any thoughts on lecithin (phosphatidylcholine)?

Post by circular »

nmlss wrote:These studies got me interested:
https://stm.sciencemag.org/content/13/583/eaaz4564
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12637119/
https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/1 ... OBTYey94qY

On the other hand, some studies show increased mortality/cancer risk:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27826198
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27773818
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2643856
http://jcmtjournal.com/article/view/1532
http://www.nature.com/articles/srep40802
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3604886

It seems like getting the RDA (550 mg/d for men) consistently can be tricky. Eggs is on of the most abundant sources, but one would need to eat at least 4 every day:
https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Choli ... fessional/

Would love to know what everyone else thinks!
I found that my TMAO is higher than the normal range on choline supplements but not when I stopped them. YMMV. While I'm not 100% sure whether I need to worry about TMAO (it's high in fish afterall), I did stop the choline supplements. I have a genetic need to address choline issues, so I eat two eggs a day. I have no idea whether I'm doing enough or whether the supplement was harmless if not helpful despite the higher TMAO when I was on it.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
nmlss
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:17 pm

Re: Any thoughts on lecithin (phosphatidylcholine)?

Post by nmlss »

Tincup, thank you, this is very helpful!
nmlss
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:17 pm

Re: Any thoughts on lecithin (phosphatidylcholine)?

Post by nmlss »

Does anyone else have any thoughts?

I found the first study most interesting. Specifically this:
"Using genetic screens in yeast, the authors discovered that promoting phospholipid synthesis through choline supplementation of culture medium restored a normal lipid state in APOE4-expressing yeast cells. The authors then demonstrated that choline supplementation also restored lipid homeostasis in human APOE4 astrocytes. These findings suggest that modulating glial metabolism could help to reduce APOE4-associated disease risk."
User avatar
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team
Posts: 1197
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:22 am
Location: Northern New Mexico

Re: Any thoughts on lecithin (phosphatidylcholine)?

Post by floramaria »

Tincup wrote:…he suggested something over 1 TBL/day of the NOW phosphatidylcholine product…
Hi Tincup, I was just looking the website for Now supplements to find their product you mention. I could’t find any product listed under phosphatidylcholine. Is it their lecithin that you are taking on Dr G’s recommendation? Or something else? Thanks
Flora
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
User avatar
Tincup
Mod
Mod
Posts: 3146
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:57 pm
Location: Front Range, CO

Re: Any thoughts on lecithin (phosphatidylcholine)?

Post by Tincup »

floramaria wrote:
Tincup wrote:…he suggested something over 1 TBL/day of the NOW phosphatidylcholine product…
Hi Tincup, I was just looking the website for Now supplements to find their product you mention. I could’t find any product listed under phosphatidylcholine. Is it their lecithin that you are taking on Dr G’s recommendation? Or something else? Thanks
Flora
Now Supplements, Sunflower Lecithin with Naturally Occurring Phosphatidyl Choline and Other Phosphatides, Powder, 1-Pound - New
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1
Tincup
E3,E4
Post Reply