Tele Medicine

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Cat111
Contributor
Contributor

Tele Medicine

Post by Cat111 »

My new practitioner emailed me......I am unable to order the progesterone for dementia protection. At this time, it is not an FDA regulated resason for the medication and I would not be protected if anything went wrong with you taking the progesterone. There is a strong warning against using progesterone for dementia prevention..... She gave me an rx for estradiol.....
Does anyone know of a practitioner that would do a tele visit...if I have all my labs sent to them to prescribe progesterone? I'm 61 and went through menopause at 45. I am APOE4/4 with APOC1 and TOMM40. I really need to be on HRT. Thank you
Cat111
ApoE 4/4
DDorans
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Tele Medicine

Post by DDorans »

Progesterone is justifiable when taking estradiol as it’s always given with prevent cervical cancer. Not sure why your doctor won’t prescribe it for that reason!
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

My new practitioner emailed me......I am unable to order the progesterone for dementia protection. At this time, it is not an FDA regulated resason for the medication and I would not be protected if anything went wrong with you taking the progesterone. There is a strong warning against using progesterone for dementia prevention..... She gave me an rx for estradiol.....
If you have a uterus, progesterone is always given with estrogen to protect against cancer of the endometrium (the lining of the uterus).
Cat111
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Cat111 »

Thank you both, I am aware of the risk for only taking estradiol..... So with your confirmations....I emailed her back. ;)
Cat111
ApoE 4/4
Tiramisu1984
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Tiramisu1984 »

I think you need to find a new doctor fast! Is she an OB/GYN? I see a nurse practioner and quite honestly, she has the best "whole body" approach in the practice. As an FYI, I take 200 mg nightly. Progesterone is a game changer in terms of quality of sleep. Good luck!
Cat111
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Cat111 »

She is an APNP I just started seeing her 3 weeks ago. She has Functional Medicine training, and the 1st visit did blood test...all came back great except for my lipids.....now she changed her tune and won't prescribe progesterone. My old FM doc is 4 hours away. I live in Wisconsin.... not very many options. Thank you.
Cat111
ApoE 4/4
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Cat111 wrote:She is an APNP I just started seeing her 3 weeks ago. She has Functional Medicine training, and the 1st visit did blood test...all came back great except for my lipids.....now she changed her tune and won't prescribe progesterone. My old FM doc is 4 hours away. I live in Wisconsin.... not very many options. Thank you.
Did she respond directly to your email about the importance of progesterone for any woman with a uterus who is taking estradiol?
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Cat111
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Cat111 »

No, I have not heard back yet.
Cat111
ApoE 4/4
Cat111
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Cat111 »

This was her answer......
typically estrogen cream is used independently of progresterone. It is only supposed to be used 3 times per week or less to help symptoms. oral estrogen is different, that is the one that we need to use with the progesterone for someone with a uterus
Cat111
ApoE 4/4
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Cat111 wrote:This was her answer......
typically estrogen cream is used independently of progresterone. It is only supposed to be used 3 times per week or less to help symptoms. oral estrogen is different, that is the one that we need to use with the progesterone for someone with a uterus
I am seriously concerned about her response and about the risk you will be exposed to with her as your practitioner. I am not a doctor, but have paid attention to this topic. There is some debate about whether women should be on HRT but as far as I know, and I have been looking at info on Bioidentical HRT for several years, there is no debate about whether a woman who is on estradiol needs progesterone if she has a uterus. Transdermal estradiol rather than oral is a good choice. But if you have a uterus and she is not also prescribing progesterone, she is putting you at risk, regardless of the form of estradiol. Or maybe she knows something I don’t know, and I am wrong. But here is an excerpt from the Primer on this website. It is written by a physician member:

If a woman has a uterus still, if she only takes oestrogen by itself (this is called unopposed oestrogen) she will eventually get uterine lining cancer (endometrial cancer). If we add a progesterone type drug in some form, this does not happen at all ever. This is thus imperative if the woman still has her uterus and has not had a hysterectomy. It is called combined HRT.

Have you seen the Primer? It has a section on hormone replacement. The paragraph above is from that. (The author is in another country. Oestrogen= estrogen . Just another spelling. )

There is an entire enormous enormous thread devoted to on HRT on this website. You can find it by using the search function. (Magnifying glass to left of your user name. ). Or just type in progesterone. You’ll see this thread first, but then be able to read other
opinions. But I don’t think you will find any who agree with your doctor.
You can also do research outside of this website. I believe you will find the same answer.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health