Hack for falling back asleep in middle of the night

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: Hack for falling back asleep in middle of the night

Post by Tincup »

SusanJ wrote: It's not a 100% for him, but it's helping.
It isn't 100% for me either. I normally go to sleep pretty quickly, but commonly wake up in the early morning and have a hard time returning to sleep. When this happens, I routinely go to our basement so I don't disturb my wife. I will also throw on a beat to beat recording heart rate monitor as part of my monitoring to keep afib in remission. I use the app as thinking of what to visualize creates more work for my brain and inhibits sleep. It works better just having the app speak these random items to me. I set the app for 30 minutes and when it ends, if I'm not asleep, I will remain in the resting state, focussing on reduced breathing and meditating. After a bit, I will commonly return to sleep. What I've noticed with my heart rate data, is that even when I've not yet gone to sleep. the heart rate trends down into the area of my sleeping heart rate and stays there till I go back to sleep, my hands and arms typically feel like they are vibrating.

Along these lines is the free Reverie hypnosis app. This also works for me and in the same way, if I just stay in the relaxed state when the app is done, if I'm not asleep, the results, heart rate and otherwise are similar to what I described above. My daughter and son-in-law swear by this. Stanford neuroscience prof, Andrew Huberman, suggested this on his Huberman Lab podcast.

Again in this category, Huberman suggests "Non Sleep Deep Rest" (NSDR). Here is a search on his site. This is a form of what is known as "yoga nidra scripts." I get a similar response to NSDR as I do to the other methods above.
Tincup
E3,E4