DTC testing with Quest Diagnostics

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Quantifier
Contributor
Contributor

DTC testing with Quest Diagnostics

Post by Quantifier »

I would like to do some testing beyond what my doctor would be willing to prescribe. (For instance, my doctor thinks that as a healthy person there is no need to test lipids more than once in 5 years - or at least, that's what insurance would cover, apparently, while I want to see how my levels respond to various dietary changes. And it gets more difficult with other tests on the Cognoscopy list.) I'm trying to see what options are available to me locally. So when I look through Quest's directory ( https://testdirectory.questdiagnostics. ... results?q=* ) I see 3868 total results in my area, of which 462 are various panels. But when I made an account with them, it looks like as a private person I can only access some 50 tests/panels of these. I'm guessing one needs a doctor's prescription for the rest? Is there a way to gain access to more testing options? Perhaps through a third party? Does anyone have experience with getting testing done through Quest?
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Re: DTC testing with Quest Diagnostics

Post by NF52 »

Quantifier wrote:I would like to do some testing beyond what my doctor would be willing to prescribe. (For instance, my doctor thinks that as a healthy person there is no need to test lipids more than once in 5 years - or at least, that's what insurance would cover, apparently, while I want to see how my levels respond to various dietary changes. And it gets more difficult with other tests on the Cognoscopy list.) I'm trying to see what options are available to me locally. So when I look through Quest's directory ( https://testdirectory.questdiagnostics. ... results?q=* ) I see 3868 total results in my area, of which 462 are various panels. But when I made an account with them, it looks like as a private person I can only access some 50 tests/panels of these. I'm guessing one needs a doctor's prescription for the rest? Is there a way to gain access to more testing options? Perhaps through a third party? Does anyone have experience with getting testing done through Quest?
I haven't used Quest, but have used LabCorp for NMR and Lp(a) lipid testing, as well as Vitamins D3, B-12 and fasting glucose (probably could have gotten that from the Dr.) without needing a doctor's prescription. Like you, it's not the doctor who is refusing the test; it's the insurance companies; ,y doctor recommended and a wrote prescription for coronary artery calcium CT, saying that while insurance wouldn't pay for it, he thought it was useful given my 4/4 status and family hx of heart disease.

If you check this section of Stavia's Primer, you'll see her recommendations for testing; Biomarkers
4/4 and still an optimist!
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Quantifier wrote:I would like to do some testing beyond what my doctor would be willing to prescribe. (For instance, my doctor thinks that as a healthy person there is no need to test lipids more than once in 5 years - or at least, that's what insurance would cover, apparently, while I want to see how my levels respond to various dietary changes. And it gets more difficult with other tests on the Cognoscopy list.) I'm trying to see what options are available to me locally. So when I look through Quest's directory ( https://testdirectory.questdiagnostics. ... results?q=* ) I see 3868 total results in my area, of which 462 are various panels. But when I made an account with them, it looks like as a private person I can only access some 50 tests/panels of these. I'm guessing one needs a doctor's prescription for the rest? Is there a way to gain access to more testing options? Perhaps through a third party? Does anyone have experience with getting testing done through Quest?
Hi Quantifier, Have you checked out the WiKi on Direct to Consumer labs? Here’s the link: https://wiki.apoe4.info/wiki/Direct_to_ ... ng_Options

Some of labs are regional. Personally I have had good results with AnyLabTestNow when I have needed a blood draw for a test kit not ordered by my doctor. I have also used Life Extension; they send a requisition for their panels of tests. Their prices are good. Blood must be drawn through LabCorp for LE panels.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Quantifier wrote:I would like to do some testing beyond what my doctor would be willing to prescribe.
Off the wiki list that NF52 linked, New Century has been the cheapest I've used, and they are a Quest reseller. You can go to their site and see what they offer. As I recall, they charge a $12 draw fee, plus whatever labs you order. Marc said if you contact them they will add stuff from the Quest catalog that isn't in their menu, though I've not tried this. Other resellers work with LabCorp or both LabCorp & Quest.

Basically you select the labs, pay the reseller and they send you or the lab company (depending on the reseller) a requisition signed by a doc you'll never see. You go get your blood drawn, then the reseller will send you or give you access to a PDF of the results, which is a Quest or LabCorp PDF depending on which one you went to.
Tincup
E3,E4
DDorans
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DDorans »

I have gotten Quest Lab tests with ease. Also personal Labs and ultalabs as they also have self tests and I can get my draws at quest. There is no Labcorp in my area.
Quantifier
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Quantifier »

NF52 wrote:
floramaria wrote:
Tincup wrote:
DDorans wrote:
Thank you all, this was very helpful. I understand how these companies work now.