New Version of Fuel For Thought?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
SarahAnne
Contributor
Contributor

New Version of Fuel For Thought?

Post by SarahAnne »

Hi all. I had been wondering what happened to the product that Dr. Mary Newport suggested and worked on called “Fuel For Thought” coconut oil (2015/16-ish timeframe). We gave it to my mom for a few years until it disappeared (I think due to unconvincing clinical trials). Boy was it “yuck” to swallow and it had to be taken multiple times daily.

Anyway, I just got a random marketing email about the repackaged/reformulated version. Looks like a new management team and it’s now a powder called Ultimate Brain Nutrients ACTIVATE (“UBN ACTIVATE”). The formulation shows 3 ingredients: coconut extracts, spearmint extracts, and marigold extracts. Looks like it has 10 grams of carbs which isn’t’ ideal. Does anyone know about this new product? And if so, is it just another version of C8 MCT already out there…another glossy and expensive intervention? If there is already a deep dive on this, please refer me to the appropriate thread (didn’t come up on my search).

Many thanks, as always.

https://tryubn.com/products/activate
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Re: New Version of Fuel For Thought?

Post by NF52 »

SarahAnne wrote:Hi all. I had been wondering what happened to the product that Dr. Mary Newport suggested and worked on called “Fuel For Thought” coconut oil (2015/16-ish timeframe). We gave it to my mom for a few years until it disappeared (I think due to unconvincing clinical trials). Boy was it “yuck” to swallow and it had to be taken multiple times daily.

Anyway, I just got a random marketing email about the repackaged/reformulated version. Looks like a new management team and it’s now a powder called Ultimate Brain Nutrients ACTIVATE (“UBN ACTIVATE”). The formulation shows 3 ingredients: coconut extracts, spearmint extracts, and marigold extracts. Looks like it has 10 grams of carbs which isn’t’ ideal. Does anyone know about this new product? And if so, is it just another version of C8 MCT already out there…another glossy and expensive intervention? If there is already a deep dive on this, please refer me to the appropriate thread (didn’t come up on my search).

Many thanks, as always.

https://tryubn.com/products/activate
Thanks for your question! I don't have experience with this product, but was curious enough to look at the link you provided, and then found a link to their "clinical research study", which was done on a group of 18 volunteers, 13 of whom took the product as part of a short trial. Their average age was 39, and since they were all recruited by the Colorado Center for Health and Sport Science (CCHSS), it's likely they were fairly healthy, athletic people. Here's a brief synopsis from their presented poster:
Conclusion: In this pilot study, consumption of a ketogenic high concentration MCT product produced significant improvements in brain/EEG function as well as in select sports vision measures in the intervention group within a relatively short time period. While these findings are consistent with previous research on MCT's and cognitive and visual function, this study assessed a younger population. Further investigation in similar age groups attempting to improve basic thinking and sports reaction measures is warranted with respect to MCT products.
. They were mostly measuring visual and auditory processing speed on a short test, using an EEG to measure brain activity. It seems reasonable to assume that MCT oil might boost that in healthy 39 year olds. Lots of ways to get MCT or ketones other than this product, I would guess, with less saturated fats than coconut oil.
4/4 and still an optimist!