Torn between Keto and the MIND/Mediterranean diets

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
MiniJunkie
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Torn between Keto and the MIND/Mediterranean diets

Post by MiniJunkie »

TheHormonePharmacist wrote:I have been struggling with the big question, “So what CAN I eat?” I’m especially wrestling with whether or not saturated fat should be included in my diet. Without saturated fat, keto is extremely difficult or at least extremely boring.

@n52 mentioned “Precision Nutrition for Alzheimer’s Prevention in ApoE4 Carriers” (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8073598/), co-authored by Apoe4 wunderkind Dr. Nicholas Norwitz. Norwitz earned a PhD in nutrition from Oxford in his early 20s. Now 25, he’s now working toward an MD at Harvard.

I wanted to mention The New Mediterranean Diet Cookbook, also co-authored by Nick Norwitz, this cookbook combines keto AND Mediterranean eating ideas. This book explicitly aims to help those with Apoe4 alleles eat in a way that reduces AD risk.

Bought the book last week and we’ve tried 4 or 5 recipes. Most of them are amazing!

I also re-started glucose and ketone testing this week with encouraging results that are tied with these recipes.

I’ve been quite comfortable with 16 hour overnight fasts and not snacking between noon and 6. I’ve also had great fasting blood glucose as well as post-meal blood glucose. My ketone levels are consistently 0.9 up to 2.5.

The downside is the recipes do take some work and prep time. Some of the ingredients may be expensive or hard to find (coconut butter, mackerel filets). But I think this book has already given us some hope about what we can eat. There are definitely Mediterranean flavors - fish, olives, pesto, some tomatoes, lamb, zucchini, eggs.

The additional variety this book brings us is a welcome change.

Here’s a link that references the article as well as a video of Dr. Norwitz explaining precision nutrition for prevention of cognitive decline.

https://newmediketo.com/dr-nicholas-norwitz/
I actually bought that book last week :) It's pretty good. I wish I didn't hate the taste of Avocados!
49M, married with 3 kids, my mother has advanced Alzheimer’s, and I am 4/4
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Torn between Keto and the MIND/Mediterranean diets

Post by NF52 »

MiniJunkie wrote:Thanks NF52! I should clarify that I'm a man (or maybe you got that and I misunderstood some parts of your reply). It's funny you should link that article about precision nutrition - I just bookmarked it last night with intention of reading it sometime soon :) I will definitely check it out.

Exercise is something I am terrible at and it's my Achilles heel as far as taking all the right steps to prevent AD. I have got to get my butt in motion. So I'm glad you mentioned the 30 minutes thing. I mean, we just bought a treadmill (ostensibly for my teenage son and wife), so I have no real excuse not to get moving.
Belated thanks for giving me a laugh when I realized just how many of my suggestions were misplaced!! You're very polite to suggest the fault was yours.
4/4 and still an optimist!