Optimizing OxLDL

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
giftsplash
Contributor
Contributor

Optimizing OxLDL

Post by giftsplash »

Just wanted to share an interesting finding. I have been getting my blood work done every 2 weeks to try to determine how food influences my biomarkers including OxLDL (Dr Gundry’s favorite).

I found an interesting pattern. My OxLDL drops by almost 50% each time I have a dental cleaning 7 days earlier. 78 to 49 about five months ago, and again 49 to 27 last week.

As for other findings about OxLDL it has the following correlations for me as I found.

Triglycerides : 0.8
VLD : 0.82
Monocytes (Absolute) : 0.69
LDL-P : -0.67 <- this is frustrating since ideally you want both to be lower.
Small LDL-P : -0.71

Grape Seed Extract intake : -0.68
Zinc : -0.67

Fat% Intake : -0.61
Protein% Intake : -0.39
Carb% Intake: 0.67

Bread seems to have the largest influence on OxLDL (0.75). Red meat had no meaningful correlation.

Hope this is helpful. I have now done 16 tests which include CBC/hsCRP/OxLDL/NMR and ran fairly detailed correlations on vitamin and food intake, be glad to answer any questions.
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Re: Optimizing OxLDL

Post by TheresaB »

Interesting, I'm curious, what do your inflammation markers do after the dental cleaning, my doc has said even just a simple cleaning can release bacteria and lead to inflammation.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
giftsplash
Contributor
Contributor

Post by giftsplash »

Very good question. Very small drop. CRP went from 0.59 to 0.46 and from 0.55 to 0.38.

Another interesting info was that I also had root canal a few months ago and my OxLDL went from 89 to 130 (root canal done 7 days earlier). So Oxldl shot up before dropping back down to the 50's about a month later. CRP went from 0.48 to 0.69 and increased also.
Quantifier
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Quantifier »

Do you measure ApoB levels? Cardiologists and lipidologists are now convinced that it is the best predictor of cardiac outcomes (with there being one ApoB100 protein in each lipoprotein particle, thus it is a measure of particle number rather than the total amount of any lipid type), and of the traditional lipid panel measurements it is best approximated by 'non-HDL cholesterol'.
giftsplash
Contributor
Contributor

Post by giftsplash »

I do not measure APoB, but I believe TG/HDL was a more reliable measure. I maybe wrong.
Quantifier
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Quantifier »

Marinochka
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Marinochka »

I think that oxLDL is closely related to inflammation. I also read that it depends on LDL-P number. The more particles you have the more they get oxidized. My LDL-P number is usually high and runs around 1600-1700. My oxLDL was between 67-74. My inflammatory markers are usually low. I always wanted to improve my oxLDL and started taking 100mg of Pycnogenol and than decided to add DHA plasmologen for overall prevention. Interestingly enough my OxLDL dropped to 42 despite my LDL-P stayed the same. Now I wonder what did the trick. DHA plasmologen or pycnogenol.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

TheresaB wrote:Interesting, I'm curious, what do your inflammation markers do after the dental cleaning, my doc has said even just a simple cleaning can release bacteria and lead to inflammation.
Hmmm, that would make sense. Since my dentist of many years retired, I have a new one. He said that while I have healthy but receded gums, I don't yet need 'deep cleaning'. He added that he thought I should add a WaterPik to my routine, which apparently will clean better around the gum line than dental floss (floss still does a better job along the sides of the teeth. I've been using a WaterPik now and like to think that more bacteria goes down the drain than before. He said to use the kind with the tank which will hold more (enough) water and has 10 settings, and then use the strongest setting you can tolerate. I was going to put this in a dentistry thread, but this came up first.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Thank you for this! I wonder where this leaves the argument that the ApoB/ApoA1 ratio is best.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
grommet
Contributor
Contributor

Post by grommet »

circular wrote:
Thank you for this! I wonder where this leaves the argument that the ApoB/ApoA1 ratio is best.
Personally I don’t focus too much on ApoA1 and its ratio to ApoB. From what I’ve read, high ApoA1 isn’t necessarily protective in context to an already high ApoB. Focus on reducing ApoB and the rest will take care of itself.

I have a coworker who is VERY proud of his ultra-high HDL-C and corresponding ratios, induced by what he says is a “very healthy” clean meat-based diet. His HDL-C is 105 but his LDL-C is close to 350!!! His LDL-P (a similar bio marker to ApoB) is > 3500 which basically means he exceeded the upper bounds of the test.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dan
ε4,ε4