PBJ

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Adrian
New User
New User

PBJ

Post by Adrian »

Is it ok to eat PBJ everyday? I eat with Ezekiel bread.
I'm apoe3/4 and have CVD. Bad lipid profile.
Quantifier
Contributor
Contributor

Re: PBJ

Post by Quantifier »

Hello Adrian, and welcome!

I am not a dietician nor a nutritionist, so consider my opinions in the layperson realm.

When asking about a specific food that is part of a person's diet, it is important to know how much of that person's diet consists of the particular food, what the quality of the rest of the diet is, and what the person would eat otherwise. If the alternative to PBJ is a food high in saturated fats or highly processed foods, then PBJ is better, if the alternative is salad with avocado, olive oil, and chia seeds, then the salad is better. (But if you are already eating plenty of vegetables and are just looking for an easy protein source that's a different situation.)

Do you have any other metabolism related health issues besides CVD and the poor lipid profile? Is your fasting blood glucose OK? Do you have signs of being insulin resistant (belly fat, high insulin response to carbohydrates)? Because I worry about the simple sugars in the jelly of the PBJ. Perhaps replace it with slices of fruit? Or just use smaller amounts of it?

As for the bread - many ApoE4+ people avoid gluten entirely, others limit it, others limit carbs in general. If you test for signs of inflammation (for instance by having a blood test for hs-CRP) it should give you an idea if your regular diet is causing you systemic inflammation. Well, if your inflammation markers are low after eating this way for a while (at least 2-3 months) you are probably safe in this particular regard, but if they are high you still don't know the cause.

You will find more information in the APOE4 Primer which was written by Stavia, an MD who is ApoE 4/4, and in the wiki.

Good luck, and take care!
CindyM
Contributor
Contributor

Re: PBJ

Post by CindyM »

Adrian wrote:Is it ok to eat PBJ everyday? I eat with Ezekiel bread.
I'm apoe3/4 and have CVD. Bad lipid profile.
Hello Adrian,

Welcome to the Forum. Like Quantifier suggested, the primer has a wealth of information for you. For specific information about prevention strategies through diet, check out this section of the primer.
Our how-to guide is another helpful resource on how to search for topics and how to subscribe to topics of interest and more.

Click here to go directly to information about cholesterol, lipids, and treatments, if interested.

You can also check out threads that have been started by other members in our stories.

Luckily, there are many individuals on this site that will be able to help you out with your questions. It's never to late to start making lifestyle changes to support your brain!

Enjoy checking out the site, and feel free to reach out with any other questions any time.

Best,

CindyM
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Apoe4.info Welcome Team Intern