Disturbed sleep & AD

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Disturbed sleep & AD

Post by TheBrain »

Okay, so I decided to listen to Brain.fm's 15-min Relax track while lounging on my recliner. Then, I was going to use their Meditate track. I fell asleep during that 15-minute Relax! I didn't track the time, but I slept at least 1 1/2 hours, maybe as long as 2 hours.

Of course, the recommendation for people like me is not to nap, but I wasn't even trying to. I almost never nap, even when utterly exhausted.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

This group always reminds me that I know less than I thought. Alysson, thank you so much for the tip on Kavinace! It's a blend but it seems the interesting ingredient, which I'd never even heard of, is phenibut, which likely can be purchased more cheaply separately. It's on my list of things to try!

G
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

This group always reminds me that I know less than I thought. Alysson, thank you so much for the tip on Kavinace! It's a blend but it seems the interesting ingredient, which I'd never even heard of, is phenibut, which likely can be purchased more cheaply separately. It's on my list of things to try!
Good luck, G! I hope Kavinace helps you sleep! Or if you decide to use a supplement with just phenibut, please report back here.
Last edited by TheBrain on Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Downloaded Brain FM and eager to see whether it will be another step towards better sleep.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

For those for whom the sleep track doesn't cut through the mental chatter/worry/stress, it might be good to use a relaxation track before getting into bed while winding down. Then you won't have it cutting into sleep track time. I'll be interested in others' experiences with it.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Wow alysson! I say to just enjoy that you had that great nap and don't worry about the protocol. Things will work out ;)
Lav55der
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lav55der »

I am a student in the Functional Medicine Coach Academy. I just listened to a question and answer session from Dr. Joseph Pizzorno as part of my FMCA homework. He has written a book called "The Toxin Solution." He is a Naturopathic and also worked under President Clinton and Bush. He discusses how toxic our environment is and our food supply. He discusses how that negatively affects our health and risk for chronic disease. He was asked a question about how vital sleep is. He stated that detoxification of the brain occurs while we are sleeping. He stated our grandparents who lived on the farm would sleep 9 hours. He also stated our sleep deprivation increases our risk for dementia. This seems congruent with what I have read in the ApoE4 primer information.
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jan »

I think Dr. Pizzorno was referring to the glymphatic system, a "recently discovered macroscopic waste clearance system that utilizes a unique system of perivascular tunnels, formed by astroglial cells, to promote efficient elimination of soluble proteins and metabolites from the central nervous system. Besides waste elimination, the glymphatic system also facilitates brain-wide distribution of several compounds, including glucose, lipids, amino acids, growth factors, and neuromodulators. Intriguingly, the glymphatic system functions mainly during sleep and is largely disengaged during wakefulness. The biological need for sleep across all species may therefore reflect that the brain must enter a state of activity that enables elimination of potentially neurotoxic waste products, including beta-amyloid. ..." Here's a link to the article containing the excerpt above: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25947369 .

I believe it was "discovered" in 2012 (I'm sure it has always been there). I am also a student at FMCA, and first learned about the glymphatic system when I was studying for my CFNC (Certified Functional Nutrition Coach), which I just this month completed, with Josh Gitalis. http://www.joshgitalis.com

Yet another reason we need to concentrate on good sleep.
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

I've a question about sleep and the 'glymphatic' system.

Does the research so far indicate the times that the 'glymphatic' system is more effective? I wonder this because some people go to bed/sleep earlier than others but both may still have 8/9 hours sleep.

I recall the old saying about 'an hour of sleep before midnight is worth two after midnight'. Some recent research (which I can't now find) said that REM sleep was much more prevalent before midnight. The REM sleep may or may not coincide with periods of activity of the 'glymphatic' system.
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

If I'm not mistaken, the repair and renew function of sleep occurs during the deep stages. I'm guejssing that includes glymph system activity. Interestingly that's not most of our sleep. REM has more to do with memory consolidation, at least in part.

Does anyone know if it's correct to assume that the glymph system drains into the lymphatic system outside the brain? I get regular lymphatic drainage massage and have been hoping it facilitates the function of the glymphatic system. Folks in these circles seem to have no doubt about it.

very interesting it's only active during sleep! I suspect there's more to that story.