Modafinil - anti-inflammatory effects (in mice)

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Nequals1Guy
Contributor
Contributor

Modafinil - anti-inflammatory effects (in mice)

Post by Nequals1Guy »

In an effort to do something about my lifelong chronic (untreated) ADD, I experimented the last few weeks with Adderall.. pretty good results..lots of energy, focus, clarity of thought. However, I’m having a hard time reconciling the spike in blood pressure, loss of sleep, and overall feeling of hypertension..so sadly I think Adderall is off the list of meds...which leads me to exploring other alternatives with perhaps less side effects...enter modafinil (ie Provigil). Two questions: 1) anyone tried this ? 2) any thoughts on this research about apoe-/- mice and the benefit derived from modafinil?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/28828622/
McGido
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Modafinil - anti-inflammatory effects (in mice)

Post by McGido »

I've tried and still have some modafinil. I haven't used in over a year so my memory of it may be obscured slightly. But it's much less noticeable then something like Adderall. It's more subtle but you do feel more attentive and focused. I found it much easier to read, and focus on tasks for extended periods without getting fatigued. I think it was originally used to treat those suffering from narcolepsy.
Nequals1Guy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nequals1Guy »

McGido wrote:I've tried and still have some modafinil. I haven't used in over a year so my memory of it may be obscured slightly. But it's much less noticeable then something like Adderall. It's more subtle but you do feel more attentive and focused. I found it much easier to read, and focus on tasks for extended periods without getting fatigued. I think it was originally used to treat those suffering from narcolepsy.
Thanks for your feedback. I might see if my Doc will let me give it a try. However, upon further research it seems that folks with (A,A) at rs4680 (like me) trend toward experiencing little to no effect when taking modafinil. So, it’s a $50 gamble if it will work or not but I’ve spent more than that on supplements that pretty much did nothing but create expensive urine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ccfield
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ccfield »

Nequals1Guy wrote: Thanks for your feedback. I might see if my Doc will let me give it a try. However, upon further research it seems that folks with (A,A) at rs4680 (like me) trend toward experiencing little to no effect when taking modafinil. So, it’s a $50 gamble if it will work or not but I’ve spent more than that on supplements that pretty much did nothing but create expensive urine.
Nequals1Guy,
I am A,A rs4860 as well, and Modafinil does not do a thing for me. It makes me feel a bit spacey and then it's gone. However, my family member who is not A,A rs4860 can feel the effects quite well. It will be interesting to hear your thoughts on it after you try it.
- Carrie B
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
McGido
Contributor
Contributor

Post by McGido »

Nequals1Guy wrote:
Thanks for your feedback. I might see if my Doc will let me give it a try. However, upon further research it seems that folks with (A,A) at rs4680 (like me) trend toward experiencing little to no effect when taking modafinil. So, it’s a $50 gamble if it will work or not but I’ve spent more than that on supplements that pretty much did nothing but create expensive urine.
my rs4680 is GG just for reference. I would say $50 is worth it. It doesn't have that same draw backs I experienced on adderall, feels less like a "drug".
Nequals1Guy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nequals1Guy »

McGido wrote:
my rs4680 is GG just for reference. I would say $50 is worth it. It doesn't have that same draw backs I experienced on adderall, feels less like a "drug".
Makes total sense why it works well for you if you’re GG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

I don't see a lot of research on Modafinil. The first study below suggests benefits, while the later and larger one below that didn't. They may not have tested for the same things though. I haven't read them.

2013, n=64 Effects of modafinil on non-verbal cognition, task enjoyment and creative thinking in healthy volunteers.
CONCLUSIONS:

Modafinil reliably enhanced task enjoyment and performance on several cognitive tests of planning and working memory, but did not improve paired associates learning. The findings confirm that modafinil can enhance aspects of highly demanding cognitive performance in non-sleep deprived individuals. This article is part of a Special Issue entitled 'Cognitive Enhancers'. [Emphasis added]
2015, n=160 Effects of modafinil on attention performance, short-term memory and executive function in university students: a randomized trial
CONCLUSIONS:

The study demonstrated that modafinil does not enhance the global cognitive performance of healthy non-sleep deprived students, except regarding non-demanding tasks. In particular, this drug does not seem to have positive effects on mental processes that sustain studying tasks in the college population under normal conditions. We expect these findings to demystify the use of this drug and help decision making concerning pharmacological public policies. [Emphasis added]
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.