Let's flip Alzheimer's the FINGER

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Sandraz
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Let's flip Alzheimer's the FINGER

Post by Sandraz »

Have you guys seen this article from David perlmutter from 2010?

Neurogenesis: How to Change Your Brain

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-david- ... 77163.html

I was researching BDNF after reading Stavia's recovery through exercise and came across it.

He lists exercise, calorie restriction, curcumin, and DHEA as ways to increase BDNF and neurogenesis.

"As one might expect, the process of neurogenesis is controlled by our DNA. A specific gene codes for the production of a protein, brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) which plays a key role in creating new neurons. Studies reveal decreased BDNF in Alzheimer's patients, as well as in a variety of neurological conditions including epilepsy, depression, schizophrenia and obsessive-compulsive disorder.

Fortunately, many of the factors that influence our DNA to produce BDNF factors are under our direct control. The gene that turns on BDNF is activated by a variety of factors including physical exercise, caloric restriction, curcumin and the omega-3 fat, DHA.

This is a powerful message. These factors are all within our grasp and represent choices we can make to turn on the gene for neurogenesis. Thus, we can treat ourselves to stem cell therapy by taking control of our gene expression."
Sandra Z
E4,E4
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Oh yes, we need to not lose sight of the factors we can modify.
One thing niggles at me tho....is the cognitive improvement sustained if one takes the excercise away or does the excercise have to be continually applied to maintain the gains?
There's an older lady aty gym who had a remarkable recovery post stroke with aerobic excercise and she's puffing away daily on the cross trainer because she's terrified she'll lose the function she regained.
Hope Im explaining properly.....
ie is it like finasteride in hair loss? - if you stop taking it after hair regrowth, you lose all the hair you regained while on it ie back to initial baseline.

There is no answer I know, its all theory, just saying until we know its safer to assume the need for a daily dose...
Sandraz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Sandraz »

Hi Stavia,
I would guess that unless the underlying condition was changed somehow, the help that exercise does would stop once the exercise stopped. So without exercise the APOE4 degeneration would start up again. But probably would take a little time. I found it fascinating reading about BDNF and that you, IMHO, proved that exercise increases BDNF and healing in spite of APOE4!
Sandra Z
E4,E4
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Hi Stavia,

My understanding is that exercise, especially cardio/endurance exercise, has a reverse J or U shaped benefit function. Some data I've seen, at least on long term marathoners, show a propensity toward calcification. Where would you estimate the "sweet spot" would be?

My own approach has been to avoid cardio as training and to only do strength workouts to failure or HIIT. Any "cardio" is not done as training but comes in the form of "fun" avocations like skiing, hiking, kayaking, backpacking, mountaineering and rock climbing. My keto adaptation as well as strength/HIIT provide sufficient fitness that fitness is never an issue during the avocations, even though most of my friends are cardio addicts.

George
Last edited by Tincup on Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tincup
E3,E4
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Hi George, I haven't got a clue what the sweet spot is. I did 30 to 60 mins a day as I felt at the time, ran while I felt good and it was fun, stopped when it didn't or I got bored. Pretty unscientific sorry :( (slinks away embarrassed )
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Hi Stavia,

I'm guessing there are no data, so no need to slink away!

I'm sensitive to this as I ended up with idiopathic or lone afib about 10 years ago. Fortunately I've been able to keep it pretty much in remission with significant doses of magnesium along with potassium & taurine. What I learned is that most people who get afib have some kind of underlying condition like high blood pressure, CVD, diabetes & etc. There is a small subset of generally younger people who get it without any of this. Many times they have vagal rather than adrenergic triggers. They also tend to be chronically fit. That was me. I used to compete in mountain races that were 13.3 miles (21.4km), topped out over 14,000' (4,300m) and had elevation gains of 3,800' (1,160m). So I dialed it way back.

I found that short duration, high intensity training and strength, kept me fit. My logic was that I was actually exposing my heart to the stress for relatively short periods of time. This was less inflammatory.

Here is one general article: http://company.bmj.com/content/too-much ... art-health
Tincup
E3,E4
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Post by MarcR »

I can relate, George. My father ran dozens of marathons in his forties and early fifties. Then the AFIB started. By his mid fifties he had undergone ablation and a pacemaker installation to stabilize his condition. I think the chronic cardio training and periodic high stress events caused the AFIB.

I hate to exercise, but I love to play fast-paced games. Three weekly ice hockey sessions keep me fit. The rhythm of hockey is a lot like HIIT - I see my heart rate top 165 bpm during a shift, recover to 105 on the bench, and average in the 140s over a 75-90 minute session.