Statins in ApoE4

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
tonychar
Contributor
Contributor

Statins in ApoE4

Post by tonychar »

Hi everyone! ApoE4 here. My LDL is < 100. I read the Wiki page but the statin information was not helpful. What are people’s thoughts about preventative statins in ApoE4s?
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Statins in ApoE4

Post by Fiver »

It's a subject of debate, without clear answers. My research uncovered papers showing no benefit for AD and some showing small benefit for AD delay/prevention. One of the few things that was clear is that the occasional side effect of statin "brain fog" - while obviously not desirable - was not the same as or an added risk of AD. The wiki really does reflect the state of our knowledge. We're all in the situation of making heath decisions with incomplete data and unclear recommendations, which may or may not be specific to E4s.

E4 is also a risk factor for CVD, however. So it's good to keep an eye on that, with a cardiologist if necessary. It is clear that statins lower the risk of CVD disease.

If your LDL is good, that is a good sign. It's one part of a comprehensive CVD risk check-up a cardiologist would do.
dcox
Contributor
Contributor

Post by dcox »

tonychar wrote:Hi everyone! ApoE4 here. My LDL is < 100. I read the Wiki page but the statin information was not helpful. What are people’s thoughts about preventative statins in ApoE4s?
Welcome to ApoE4.info tonychar!

We are glad to have you join us on this amazing journey, which can at times be challenging and leave us with unanswered questions. We are here to encourage and support each other with current information and what is working (or not) for us as individuals. You have raised a question about Statins that comes up a lot here. I'm glad you found the Wiki and have taken the time to read it, a feat in and of itself, as there is a lot of information there. Here are a couple of threads that may help answer some of your questions statins - different approaches and Simvastatin and the ApoE4 Allele.

I have a quick question, you said your LDL is <100, which is an ideal level, I'm wondering why you are considering statins or are you currently taking them to keep your LDL optimal?

As you become more familiar with the site here are some great tips to get you started: the Primer, written by Stavia one of our most active members a Doctor, and E4/E4 herself, this is an amazing place to start as she truly put her heart into writing it; this page will help you learn how to use the site more efficiently "How-To" Get the most out of the ApoE4.info website. When the time is right for you we would love to hear a little more about your story, you can post it on the Our Stories forum. Also, to find information on specific topics please click on the search icon (spyglass), upper right of your screen, here you can modify your search to specific topics.

Again welcome, please reach out and ask questions as you will find this a very dynamic community with different views, always willing to help, encourage, support and celebrate successes along your journey, we are all in this together!

Find your joy and hope in each new day and each new discovery along your path,
Deb
Deb
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Enrolled in Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches
Choose Hope
tonychar
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tonychar »

Thank you very much for the nice welcome Deb! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Post by MarcR »

Fiver wrote:It is clear that statins lower the risk of CVD disease.
That sounds like a good thing, but is it really? For a lucid discussion of the pitfalls of relying upon endpoints other than all cause mortality, I recommend this segment from our recent webinar with Dave Feldman.
tonychar
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tonychar »

CVD-induced dementia risk and ApoE4-induced dementia risk are not synonymous... there are clearly ways ApoE4 results in dementia that are independent of CVD pathophysiologies. So the statin question is not straight forward

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Karina52
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Karina52 »

Statins have too many side effects in my opinion (based on all the research reading I have done on this). From my experience, we were able to bring down cholesterol levels very nicely with diet. My husband and I both had cardio calcium scores done well over a year ago. The results showed plaque for both of us. We couldn't understand it because we always ate VERY healthy and exercised (but we did like cheese and ate animal proteins regularly. We chalked it up to our Type A personalities, but decided to get our gene test done through 23andme. So, it turned out we are BOTH homozygous for the MTHFR 677T variant, and I am APOE4/4. (Looks like I hit the sh*t jackpot!) In any event, after visit to the cardiologist and a prescription for statins, we decided to try and address with diet first. My husband's total cholesterol was 225, mine was around 210. We changed diet to mediterranean, eliminated cheese and meat. Added 1 glass of pomegranate juice (NOT from concentrate!!) and 4 dates a day, based on many articles of research available on https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/. I also eliminated almost all fats. My husband's cholesterol dropped to an amazing 127 within 4 weeks....mine to 156. That was almost too low.....all without a single statin. We have since introduced healthy fats back into the diet and his is 157 (checked last week), mine 180. So, while I don't know if this works for everyone, it certainly worked for both of us!
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

Karina, interesting!

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 133545.htm

My total cholesterol is 250 with LDL 175, so I might try the pomegranate and date diet for a while. Did you grind the date pits? It seems they are difficult to grind but add immeasurably to the benefits.
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
Karina52
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Karina52 »

it's impossible to grind them....you can purchase online the ground seed, but we didn't use the seeds.
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

Where did you find the ground date seed online?
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60