New here? Some Best Practices

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
dcox
Contributor
Contributor

Re: New here? Some Best Practices

Post by dcox »

Walt47 wrote:Thank you NF52 for your prompt and informative response. I live in Cuenca, Ecuador and have the country's health plan. I have a follow up with the Spanish doctor, who speaks little English, on the 30th but don't think he's going to respond well to my not following his protocol of bad side effect drugs. Thank you for your kindness and understanding.
Welcome Walt
We are excited to have you join us at ApoE4.info. Looks like NF52 has given you some great advice as to your radiology results. Hoping your Dr. will respond better than you anticipate at your follow up appointment. To prepare for that visit here are some areas you might like to explore to gain knowledge about AD and what protocols and lifestyle options may work for you that may help convince your Dr. of the path you wish to take: The Primer is amazing, giving you great information about ApoE4 and the journey to prevention, reversal and stopping AD, one of our of our most active members, Stavia, put it together she is a Dr. and E4/E4 herself, she truly put her heart into writing it; this page will help you learn how to use the site more efficiently "How-To" Get the most out of the ApoE4.info website; and the Wiki Page, is where you will find specific topics that can help you get started, and delve a little deeper. Also, to find information on specific topics please click on the search icon (spyglass), upper right of your screen, here you can modify your search to specific topics, such as specific drug therapies and lifestyle options. You will find there are many scientific papers quoted here, most have been read and reviewed by one or more of our members which gives us even more insight into AD and various treatments.

When the time is right for you we would love to hear a little more about you, your story, you can post it on the Our Stories forum.

Our members are passionate about preventing, reversing and stopping AD. I think you will find this a place for encouragement, support, advice and a wealth of knowledge as you begin this journey. Ask questions and post your experiences, as someone else may be in your shoes and will benefit from your information.

Find your joy and hope in each new day and each new discovery along your path,
Deb
Deb
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Enrolled in Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches
Choose Hope
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Walt47 wrote:Thank you NF52 for your prompt and informative response. I live in Cuenca, Ecuador and have the country's health plan. I have a follow up with the Spanish doctor, who speaks little English, on the 30th but don't think he's going to respond well to my not following his protocol of bad side effect drugs. Thank you for your kindness and understanding.
Hi again, Walt!
I'm guessing that you're an American ex-pat living in Cuenca, only because Google tells me it's a lovely Unesco World Heritage site of 500,00 people in the Andes Mtns that lots of retirees have discovered as a great place to live. (Sounds a bit like Asheville, N.C. in its relaxed and cultural mountain vibe.) So here's a few more thoughts on ways to find some more answers there. Please note that I have NO connection with any of these people or programs, and no way to tell if they are useful. The first link is just information. The next two are for people who may have specialized ability to help with everything from translation to seeking health supports and making plans for yourself. The last presents itself as a treatment center.

* This is a link to a 2016 article from cuencahighlife. https://cuencahighlife.com/can-good-nut ... ers-better. If you skip the annoying quiz at the beginning, it has some good suggestions on checking your Vitamin B-12 level, eating a Mediterranean style diet, exercise, etc. Mostly things you could find on our forum, but it suggests that there is a community of expats that might be interested in meeting as a support and resource for each other.

* Here is a link http://cotacachihealthchapters.com/sign-up.html to a non-profit that describes itself this way:
We are a not-for-profit, volunteer-staffed organization of expats designed to support and educate the expat community about health-care and preparedness for medical treatment and emergencies.
They have a list of medical translators, at least one of whom lives in Quito, and others may be available to consult in a conference call. They have also presented in Cuenca on senior life planning.

*Wendy Jane Carrell is a bilingual woman who provides senior planning services in Mexico and Equador, according to her website.http://www.wellnessshepherd.com/ Here are some quotes from clients in Cuenca on her website:
I can honestly say, I cannot imagine a better person to help anyone in Cuenca....I was very blessed to have come into contact with Wendy prior to our move to Cuenca, Ecuador... Wendy has great credentials and experience, plus language and cultural skills. Even more important is how she has developed relationships within the community and how much she cares and advocates for seniors....
*And here is what is likely to be an expensive, but possibly useful center for people with early-stage Alzheimer's located near Cuenca: https://www.recoveryfromdementia.com/unique-approach

Deb, one of our wonderful health coach interns, has also welcomed you. Our health coaches may be able to provide some long-distance support if that's of interest to you. They always know that life is a journey and company makes the path easier. Living in Cuenca, it seems like you have already made some great choices to live every day to its fullest in a beautiful setting. I hope each day continues to bring you measures of joy and serenity.

For myself, with a genetically higher risk of Alzheimer's at some point, I find comfort in the Stoics. Here's a quote I saw yesterday from a blog, followed by a quote about stoicism and illness.
No one knows when our time is up. But precisely because we don’t know when life is going to end, the Stoics say that we should live every moment to the fullest, engaging our life in the here and now. If we do things that we don’t enjoy, or are not important, we are wasting the only resource for which people cannot possibly pay us back: time.
So from a feeling of inferiority and impotence and of being somehow ‘less than’ when compared to healthy people, I began to see my value as a person reinstated and judged according to different standards: my resilience, my strength, my dignity, my ability to reframe things.
Stoic Resilience in Face of Illness
Be well, my far-flung friend.
4/4 and still an optimist!
Thorlox
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Thorlox »

I am new to this forum. I have been studying intensely and read books by Mark Hyman, Dale Bredesen, Steven Gundry, and Michael Li. A lot of information not all the same. I listen to many podcasts with the same result: many different opinions of everything including intermittent fasting, circadian rhythm, sauna, foods, and so on. I find that low sugar, regular exercise, and sleep are the only constants. I have many questions I hope this forum can help me find answers to. I am a retired endodontist (a dentist that specializes in root canals and root surgery) and am learning the new paradigm in health and nutrition. I wish I had the time to start school over in the 3rd grade! My grandson is getting an introduction to stuff I didn't get until high school! If you can believe it when I graduated dental school in ~1970 we were taught that sugar only caused dental caries but was otherwise harmless!!!! Well, here I am, learning a new world of information in health, physiology, diet, and nutrition. I practiced endodontics for 35 years and during that time I had tunnel vision focusing only on dentistry. Now I have a lot of ground to cover to catch up. I'm hoping this website will make that a bit easier or at least more efficient. If anyone has any dental questions feel free to contact me.
Daymoo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Daymoo »

1. Welcome, Thorlox! I am sure you will find some clarifications about the contradictory advice here on this site. Since I’m new, too, I can’t speak much to these issues. I just find I need to go with a program and find out for myself if it works... the research is ever-evolving.

2. Speaking of dental issues, I do have a question that I will post here, because maybe others have the same question. My dentist has found a cavitation in a wisdom tooth extraction site, and he is recommending surgery. I find it odd that holistic dentists all over the country are documenting infections in the jawbone that they find through surgery, and yet the dental establishment says they don’t exist. How can this be? Do you have any opinions on what to do about suspected cavitations?

3. Another unrelated question for anybody: do blue light blocking glasses help if you stay off computer screens in the evening, or are they just for digital exposure?

Thanks...
Existence/is neither/a right nor//privilege/nor any//thing but
a/miracle. -Cid Corman
SamNZ
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SamNZ »

Thorlox wrote:I am new to this forum. I have been studying intensely and read books by Mark Hyman, Dale Bredesen, Steven Gundry, and Michael Li. A lot of information not all the same. I listen to many podcasts with the same result: many different opinions of everything including intermittent fasting, circadian rhythm, sauna, foods, and so on. I find that low sugar, regular exercise, and sleep are the only constants. I have many questions I hope this forum can help me find answers to. I am a retired endodontist (a dentist that specializes in root canals and root surgery) and am learning the new paradigm in health and nutrition. I wish I had the time to start school over in the 3rd grade! My grandson is getting an introduction to stuff I didn't get until high school! If you can believe it when I graduated dental school in ~1970 we were taught that sugar only caused dental caries but was otherwise harmless!!!! Well, here I am, learning a new world of information in health, physiology, diet, and nutrition. I practiced endodontics for 35 years and during that time I had tunnel vision focusing only on dentistry. Now I have a lot of ground to cover to catch up. I'm hoping this website will make that a bit easier or at least more efficient. If anyone has any dental questions feel free to contact me.
Welcome Thorlox, having gone through a recent retrain as a functional medicine health coach I too am appreciating health in a whole new light. You have picked great Authors to study and I agree, that so much of the material does overlap. The thing that constantly amazes me is how our bodies are designed fundamentally to heal, by doing some good stuff with lifestyle we just really help to tip the balance in the bodies favour of being able to heal. I welcome all your experience and thank you for the offer of help in your area of expertise on this website. Thank you again and I look forward to seeing more of your contributions. Kind regards SamNZ
Samantha McBride
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Daymoo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Daymoo »

Daymoo wrote:1. Welcome, Thorlox! I am sure you will find some clarifications about the contradictory advice here on this site. Since I’m new, too, I can’t speak much to these issues. I just find I need to go with a program and find out for myself if it works... the research is ever-evolving.

2. Speaking of dental issues, I do have a question that I will post here, because maybe others have the same question. My dentist has found a cavitation in a wisdom tooth extraction site, and he is recommending surgery. I find it odd that holistic dentists all over the country are documenting infections in the jawbone that they find through surgery, and yet the dental establishment says they don’t exist. How can this be? Do you have any opinions on what to do about suspected cavitations?

Thanks...
Existence/is neither/a right nor//privilege/nor any//thing but
a/miracle. -Cid Corman
marigold
Contributor
Contributor

Post by marigold »

I am new to this site but hope it will help me extend my cognitive years. I have the APOE 4 gene plus both my parents died of brain diseases. They were ill for over a decade and both died at the age of 91. I have been holistically aware for over 50 years, but have not followed the best diet for brain health. I live in Sarasota, FL where the restaurants and the social life are extensive. So eating out way too much has probably not been the best for me. Fortunately, I have medical practitioners, (plural) that are aware of the Bredensen protocol and that will put me on :D the right track. I am in my 7th decade but do not look, feel or act my age. I have had some of the important tests and will take additional ones. I exercise daily, get massages, use an infrared blanket and a power plate machine several times a week. Do yoga, some meditation, sit on various boards, go to lectures,cultural and artistic programs, am an avid reader,etc. However, that is not enough and it is TIME to start the RECode protocol. I have brain HQ. I also travel often.
I look forward to reading the posts and posting if I have something helpful to add to the conversation. Am not sure how I can fit this into my hectic schedule, but I intend to make it a priority.
I would love to hear from some fellow Floridians.
Marigold
Flo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Flo »

marigold wrote:I am in my 7th decade but do not look, feel or act my age. I have had some of the important tests and will take additional ones. I exercise daily, get massages, use an infrared blanket and a power plate machine several times a week. Do yoga, some meditation, sit on various boards, go to lectures,cultural and artistic programs, am an avid reader,etc. However, that is not enough and it is TIME to start the RECode protocol.
Hi Marigold, and welcome to the site!

It sounds like you've been living life to the full and I'm sure that your zest and energy will be great allies as you embark on the RECode protocol!

As you are an avid reader, may I suggest you add the primer to your reading list, if you haven't already done so? It has been written by a member physician who carries two copies of the APOE-ε4 allele and it offers accessible science background while prioritizing sensible preventative measures.
And should you need help on navigating the site, the "how-to" guide can be a great help.

I wish you all the best on your journey! Hopefully, fellow Floridians will be in contact with you soon.
And should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to us!

Flo
marigold
Contributor
Contributor

Post by marigold »

Thank you Flo for your kind words and helpful tips. I know I will have a lot of questions and have to learn. I have not been to the channel islands but would love to get there. Heard and read about Jersey. How long have you been living there?I was fortunate to go around the world on semester at sea ages ago. Do love traveling but am not the best at it.
I will check out primer right now.
Marigold
Vikingman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Vikingman »

Thank you Ski! This is a great start! I will slow down and focus on good food nutrition to start! Thank you!