Today's outage

Vision, strategy, service, and activism. Web and social media planning and technical discussion.
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Today's outage

Post by MarcR »

The ApoE4.Info website, wiki, and these forums were unavailable for a couple of hours earlier today because of a network equipment failure in the data center that houses our hosting provider's servers. Here's the preliminary explanation from our provider:
It is my current understanding that this issue was due to an unusual hardware failure in a core piece of networking equipment at the facility. This piece of hardware failed in such a way that it wasn't servicing requests but wasn't 'offline' - sort of like an operating system crash/panic.

As this piece of equipment is redundant - there is another identical piece of hardware doing the same job that should pick up the slack - I do not at this point know why the failure caused an outage that redundancy didn't prevent. It could be due to the nature of the failure in that the gear stayed online but wasn't actually working but that's speculation on my part.

As it stands everything is back online but we have lost the redundancy of this core piece of hardware until the issue is fully resolved. It is suspected that this is a bug in the operating system running on the core networking equipment and the facility is working with Juniper Emergency Support to both investigate the cause of the issue as well as working to ensure it doesn't happen again.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Today's outage

Post by Julie G »

Thanks for this update, Marc. I just got an email from our host that further maintenance is necessary to mange the issue that caused the outage yesterday. We may experience further interruptions in service later tonight starting anywhere from 11PM ET through 4AM ET, with only short periods (fifteen minutes) of actual down time. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up!