"Laird Superfood" ?

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Nikki2019
Contributor
Contributor

"Laird Superfood" ?

Post by Nikki2019 »

Hi fellow 4s!

I noticed they are carrying this at Costco and it has MCT oil with coconut sugar as a second ingredient. I have just started IF last week! :) I am up to 15 hours by just going with the black coffee when I wake. I have read others here have used some MCT oil when they were in my shoes, during the start of IF. Do you think its ok for me to add a serving of Laird Superfood (1 t) in my morning coffee, or would it break my IF?

I am just taking this all one step at a time, since it can be quite overwhelming.
As E4 s, we are inherent fighters and don't give up so easily.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: "Laird Superfood" ?

Post by Julie G »

I’ve never heard of this product but would advise against it. Coconut sugar will break your fast, impede autophagy, and interfere with your ability to create ketones. MCT alone can be transiently helpful when working to extend your fast but you seem to be doing well without it, having worked up to a 15 hour fast. Congrats!
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

They do have an unsweetened creamer with 1 gr of carbs. But if you are going to go down this route, You can do as I do and use heavy cream, if you are okay with dairy. It is technically not fasting since there are calories, but it is pure fat, so only the ketone pathway should be started. I wait until 10 am to begin eating.
Sonoma Mike
4/4
Nikki2019
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nikki2019 »

Julie G wrote:I’ve never heard of this product but would advise against it. Coconut sugar will break your fast, impede autophagy, and interfere with your ability to create ketones. MCT alone can be transiently helpful when working to extend your fast but you seem to be doing well without it, having worked up to a 15 hour fast. Congrats!
Thanks, Julie! That's what I thought as well when I saw the coconut sugar. I have been doing more research and planning to take my next step before going full force Recode for my 2020 New Year Resolution. I happen to come across a " DR. Oz " episode appears another Julie?

Cheers!
Nikki
Nikki2019
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nikki2019 »

mike wrote:They do have an unsweetened creamer with 1 gr of carbs. But if you are going to go down this route, You can do as I do and use heavy cream, if you are okay with dairy. It is technically not fasting since there are calories, but it is pure fat, so only the ketone pathway should be started. I wait until 10 am to begin eating.
Thanks, Mike.

If you wait until 10 AM and stop at 6, then that's a full 16 hours... fantastic. I think that 16 IF, must be better than 15 for us 4s, so I may start to do the same.
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bosco »

MCT oils have calories also. Seems to me that taking mct oils would be breaking the fast and defeating the purpose. Love to hear what anyone has to say about this. I've just started extending my 12 hour nighttime fast to a longer period. Thanks
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

bosco wrote:MCT oils have calories also. Seems to me that taking mct oils would be breaking the fast and defeating the purpose. Love to hear what anyone has to say about this. I've just started extending my 12 hour nighttime fast to a longer period. Thanks
Hi bosco,

People have lots of opinions on MCT! Here's a recent post from Slacker, one of our Moderators, with a helpful link to a wiki entry on the topic of MCT:
slacker wrote:...There are strong opinions for and against MCT for E4s (singles and doubles). This is something we call N=1; each of us is running our own experiment with one study subject. What works for one person does not work for another. This wiki article on the subject may be of interest to you to look at pros and cons.
4/4 and still an optimist!
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bosco »

Thanks Slacker, that was useful although a lot of the biochemistry was above my pay grade and over my head. Seems to me, at times, that half the people using this site must have a Phd in chemistry. I'm not being disparaging, it's a wonderful resource to have, and thanks to all the moderators and contributors. Very grateful for all the hard work from so many caring people. e3/e4
Nikki2019
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nikki2019 »

The bag of " Laird Superfood" remains just sitting there, as I am not consuming it after posting this. My IF has increased to 16-18 hours. I find that black coffee is enough. I almost drank some tea that was " chocolate mint " flavored, but decided against it. Maybe it wouldn't have broken my fast?