Check out our new podcast

circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Check out our new podcast

Post by circular »

Julie G wrote:
I also need Julie to give me voice lessons.
Ha, I know I sound like a dork...
Noooooooooo! If you were as monotone as I am you'd hear that you have a lovely, lyrical voice to go along with your intelligence! You're doing a great job.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Noooooooooo! If you were as monotone as I am you'd hear that you have a lovely, lyrical voice to go along with your intelligence! You're doing a great job.
Lol, monotone is my goal. :D I swing between overly effusive, stuttering, and strange radio announcer voice. Trust me, I'm my own worst critic. I HATE listening to myself but truly enjoy chatting with guests and learning. I hope others will step up and pitch in on conducting interviews. This, like everything we do, is a group effort. Reach out at media@apoe4.info if you’d like to conduct an interview, have an idea for a guest or topic.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Julie G wrote:
Lol, monotone is my goal. :D I swing between overly effusive, stuttering, and strange radio announcer voice. Trust me, I'm my own worst critic. I HATE listening to myself but truly enjoy chatting with guests and learning. I hope others will step up and pitch in on conducting interviews. This, like everything we do, is a group effort. Reach out at media@apoe4.info if you’d like to conduct an interview, have an idea for a guest or topic.
Pretty much everybody hates their own voice so you're in good company ;)
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
DebbieG
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DebbieG »

Julie G wrote:
Thank you to all those who worked to bring us this info! It was a mind-bender for me, I loved it! I have a question though, if you take the plasmalogen supplement, would you discontinue taking an Omega 3 supplement?
Great question! A small group of us, who supported Dr. Goodenowe and got early access to the supplement, struggled with this. Dr. G reports that his starting dose (2mL) is equivalent to 500mg of DHA, but it’s purported to be considerably more bio-available. Based on this, I decided to continue additional supplementation of DHA because I previously targeted 1,000mg.
I'm confused about what kind of DHA supplement I should take. I'm currently taking Nordic Naturals Omega-3 Phospholipids, but it sounds like phospholipids won't deliver the DHA in the supplement to my brain. Is that the correct takeaway? If it does get there, two capsules only contains 400 mg of DHA.

Could you say which DHA supplement you're taking, Julie G?

And what about foods that contain plasmalogens with the ether bond, not the vinyl-ether bond? I saw one study where they were extracted from chicken skin, but maybe there is a list?

Thanks for this very interesting podcast!
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

And what about foods that contain plasmalogens with the ether bond, not the vinyl-ether bond? I saw one study where they were extracted from chicken skin, but maybe there is a list?
DebbieG, from multiple chats with Dr. Goodenowe on this subject, he agrees with Rhonda Patrick that we need DHA in phospholipid form but he doesn't believe that either the supplement or plasmalogens from animal protein survives our stomach acid to make it into our brains. According to him, ONLY his supplement can raise plasmalogen levels... and deliver DHA to our brains. I'm planning to do a follow-up interview to ask him additional questions re. his proof for this assertion. He is in the midst of several clinical trials and I suspect that we'll have more definitive answers when they wrap up.

FWIW, I certainly don't claim to have this figured out but I do feel as though I'm covering my bases. I am daily taking Dr. Goodenowe's supplement with 1 gram of DHA (Carlson's Elite DHA gems) and 1/2 tsp. of cod liver oil for retinol. Additionally, I eat seafood 3-4 times per week. Disregarding the plasmalogen theory and Rhonda Patrick's hypothesis, the research is clear that E4 carriers appear to need more omega-3 fatty acids to get the same benefit as non-E4 carriers.
DebbieG
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DebbieG »

Julie G wrote:

DebbieG, from multiple chats with Dr. Goodenowe on this subject, he agrees with Rhonda Patrick that we need DHA in phospholipid form but he doesn't believe that either the supplement or plasmalogens from animal protein survives our stomach acid to make it into our brains. According to him, ONLY his supplement can raise plasmalogen levels... and deliver DHA to our brains. I'm planning to do a follow-up interview to ask him additional questions re. his proof for this assertion. He is in the midst of several clinical trials and I suspect that we'll have more definitive answers when they wrap up.

FWIW, I certainly don't claim to have this figured out but I do feel as though I'm covering my bases. I am daily taking Dr. Goodenowe's supplement with 1 gram of DHA (Carlson's Elite DHA gems) and 1/2 tsp. of cod liver oil for retinol. Additionally, I eat seafood 3-4 times per week. Disregarding the plasmalogen theory and Rhonda Patrick's hypothesis, the research is clear that E4 carriers appear to need more omega-3 fatty acids to get the same benefit as non-E4 carriers.
Thanks, Julie G. I'll switch out the phospholipid supplement for a high DHA regime like yours. And I'm not doing any resistance training so it looks like I need to start doing that.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Julie G wrote:.... but he doesn't believe that either the supplement or plasmalogens from animal protein survives our stomach acid to make it into our brains. According to him, ONLY his supplement can raise plasmalogen levels... and deliver DHA to our brains.
That's interesting. And surprising. This afternoon I listened to Ivor Cummins interview with Dr Gundry (recently posted by Tincup) and Gundry mentions the importance of plasmolgens and getting them by eating shell fish. Sounded to me like he thinks they are making it to the brain.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

floramaria wrote:
Julie G wrote:.... but he doesn't believe that either the supplement or plasmalogens from animal protein survives our stomach acid to make it into our brains. According to him, ONLY his supplement can raise plasmalogen levels... and deliver DHA to our brains.
That's interesting. And surprising. This afternoon I listened to Ivor Cummins interview with Dr Gundry (recently posted by Tincup) and Gundry mentions the importance of plasmolgens and getting them by eating shell fish. Sounded to me like he thinks they are making it to the brain.
I talked to Gundry about plasmalogens in November and sent him links to Dayan's stuff. Interestingly, Dayan was able to get his dad in the ~85%ile for his age before he came out with his supplement, as I understand what he said.
Tincup
E3,E4
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Tincup wrote: I talked to Gundry about plasmalogens in November and sent him links to Dayan's stuff. Interestingly, Dayan was able to get his dad in the ~85%ile for his age before he came out with his supplement, as I understand what he said.
And in the podcast, he commented on people who have high HDL cholesterol and low triglycerides probably having good plasminogen levels.
Do those plasmologens not get to the brain?
From the excellent show notes :
34:38 Dr G – Plasmalogens are made in the peroxisomes of our body. If you have high HDL and low triglyceride levels, that’s usually an indicator of good plasmalogen levels. The plasmalogens are transported on HDL particles in the body. There’s a correlation, those with high plasmalogens have high HDL.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

And in the podcast, he commented on people who have high HDL cholesterol and low triglycerides probably having good plasminogen levels.
Do those plasmologens not get to the brain?
From the excellent show notes :
34:38 Dr G – Plasmalogens are made in the peroxisomes of our body. If you have high HDL and low triglyceride levels, that’s usually an indicator of good plasmalogen levels. The plasmalogens are transported on HDL particles in the body. There’s a correlation, those with high plasmalogens have high HDL.
Whether or not the plasmalogens get into the brain may be a moot point as Dr. Goodenowe's hypothesis uses peripheral plasmalogen levels, but it's a good question for him. Another follow-up question is how plasmalogen levels relate to phospholipid DHA levels. Is the former a proxy for the latter? I'm unclear.