Is there lab work to test for inflammation caused by dairy?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
NYC44
Contributor
Contributor

Is there lab work to test for inflammation caused by dairy?

Post by NYC44 »

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum, APE 4/4 and always looking for ways to decrease inflammation in my diet. I eat a mostly healthy high-fat diet avoiding all sugar, simple carbs, processed foods, and eat lots of veggies, fish, etc, etc. however I do eat a lot of dairy, specifically whole-fat grass fed milk, half/half in my coffee, lots of good imported cheeses and grass fed butter.

I know that the general wisdom is that dairy causes inflammation but I'm also under the impression that it doesn't cause inflammation for everyone. I think (wishful think??) I am one of those individuals.

I don't believe I have any symptoms of lactose intolerance.

One further data point, I wear a Cont Glucose Monitor for helping me tweak my diet. (I'm not diabetic).

I've read about these 2 tests below but not sure if that measures inflammation or only tests specifically for lactose intolerance:

1. Hydrogen breath test. After you drink a liquid that contains high levels of lactose, your doctor measures the amount of hydrogen in your breath at regular intervals. Breathing out too much hydrogen indicates that you aren't fully digesting and absorbing lactose.

2. Lactose tolerance test. Two hours after drinking a liquid that contains high levels of lactose, you'll undergo blood tests to measure the amount of glucose in your bloodstream. (I can look at my CGM!) If your glucose level doesn't rise, it means your body isn't [/list]properly digesting and absorbing the lactose-filled drink.

I'm wondering if it's possible through lab work to verify the presence and severity of inflammation for a specific individual. Because if I can continue with dairy and it won't harm me, I would prefer to do that.

NYC44
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: Is there lab work to test for inflammation caused by dairy?

Post by Tincup »

NYC44 wrote:I'm wondering if it's possible through lab work to verify the presence and severity of inflammation for a specific individual. Because if I can continue with dairy and it won't harm me, I would prefer to do that.
Hi NYC44, my 4/4 wife and I had a Vibrant Zoomer tests and reviewed them with our doc, Steven Gundry in early January 2021. We posted redacted labs as well as an annotated consult transcription here.

I reacted big time on dairy to these tests. My wife does OK on goat cheese.

I've used the Coca Pulse test (which I posted on here) to test out food sensitivities. It had previously identified most everything the Zoomer did. When I don't eat things that spike my pulse per the test, everything, including sleep is much better.
Tincup
E3,E4
seachangehealthcoach
Contributor
Contributor

Post by seachangehealthcoach »

NYC44 wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum, APE 4/4 and always looking for ways to decrease inflammation in my diet. I eat a mostly healthy high-fat diet avoiding all sugar, simple carbs, processed foods, and eat lots of veggies, fish, etc, etc. however I do eat a lot of dairy, specifically whole-fat grass fed milk, half/half in my coffee, lots of good imported cheeses and grass fed butter.

I know that the general wisdom is that dairy causes inflammation but I'm also under the impression that it doesn't cause inflammation for everyone. I think (wishful think??) I am one of those individuals.

I don't believe I have any symptoms of lactose intolerance.

One further data point, I wear a Cont Glucose Monitor for helping me tweak my diet. (I'm not diabetic).

I've read about these 2 tests below but not sure if that measures inflammation or only tests specifically for lactose intolerance:

1. Hydrogen breath test. After you drink a liquid that contains high levels of lactose, your doctor measures the amount of hydrogen in your breath at regular intervals. Breathing out too much hydrogen indicates that you aren't fully digesting and absorbing lactose.

2. Lactose tolerance test. Two hours after drinking a liquid that contains high levels of lactose, you'll undergo blood tests to measure the amount of glucose in your bloodstream. (I can look at my CGM!) If your glucose level doesn't rise, it means your body isn't [/list]properly digesting and absorbing the lactose-filled drink.

I'm wondering if it's possible through lab work to verify the presence and severity of inflammation for a specific individual. Because if I can continue with dairy and it won't harm me, I would prefer to do that.

NYC44
Welcome to the forum NYC44,
We are glad you found us! Sounds like you are really in tune with your body and understand the importance of inflammation and the impact of inflammatory foods. I admire how proactive you are!! I've read a lot recently about how milk and cheese made from goats is easier to digest and tolerate and therefore causes less inflammation. Just some food for thought (no pun intended). In the meantime, I wanted to provide the following links to help you navigate the forum:

How-To Guide

Primer

Our Stories

Wiki

The search function can also be helpful. Best of luck to you and please continue to stay in touch and share what you learn. As a community, we all benefit. Thank you again for joining!
Jennifer Balzano
Founder, SeaChange Health Coaching
M.A., B.S., Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Tincup wrote:I reacted big time on dairy to these tests. My wife does OK on goat cheese.
Hi Tincup, just a note in case it might affect anyone who tests okay on the goat milk peptides. As far as I've been able to discern, goats will always or almost always have lectins in their diet. It's theoretically possible that someone highly sensitive to lectins in the goat's diet might react in a way that doesn't show in the Zoomer results, or so it would seem?
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

circular wrote:Hi Tincup, just a note in case it might affect anyone who tests okay on the goat milk peptides. As far as I've been able to discern, goats will always or almost always have lectins in their diet. It's theoretically possible that someone highly sensitive to lectins in the goat's diet might react in a way that doesn't show in the Zoomer results, or so it would seem?
Don't know, it was Gundry who recommended the goat cheese.
Tincup
E3,E4
Sara
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Sara »

NYC44 wrote:Hi everyone,
I'm new to this forum, APE 4/4 and always looking for ways to decrease inflammation in my diet. NYC44
Hi NYC44 and welcome to the apoe4.info forum! You might consider eliminating dairy for a few weeks to see if you notice any difference in your energy, any aches and pains or weight. I just heard Dr. Mark Hyman talking about this on one of his Doctor’s Farmacy podcasts. Maybe someone can locate the source of this show. When I cut out dairy, particularly cheese, I noticed that I became more successful on my diet. Good luck!
Certified ReCODE 2.0 Brain Health Coach, MOCA Certified
MBA, Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach, National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Brain Health Professional - Amen University
Surviving loved one who transitioned with AD
JD2020
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JD2020 »

NYC44 wrote: I know that the general wisdom is that dairy causes inflammation but I'm also under the impression that it doesn't cause inflammation for everyone. I think (wishful think??) I am one of those individuals.NYC44
Hi NYC44,

I also love dairy...specifically, my latte in the morning, and my homemade yogurt. What a lovely way to start the day. Milk has calories and calcium. It is hard to believe that it is bad.

My ReCODE doc prefers that I quit. She said if I cannot/will not, to drink A2 dairy. I guess A1 is inflammatory. I made the conversion from organic nonfat milk to organic A2 pasture-raised dairy. The taste was a little different at first, but now I like it better. https://alexandrefamilyfarm.com/

If you can't quit, perhaps at least make sure you are drinking the least inflammatory stuff.
NYC44
Contributor
Contributor

Post by NYC44 »

Hi everyone. Thanks for all of your inputs! I've been searching online to see how it's possible to inflammation caused by food via lab work and I'm getting imperfect answers.

Apparently there are allergy tests that use IgG antibodies (Life Extension and others) , then there are allergy tests that use IgE (Quest), and then there are tests that use hair follicles - this test claims it's NOT an allergy test but rather a sensitivity test. It uses "Bioresonance Technology using Quantum Physics Machine"...sounds like BS to me).

It's unclear what if any of these tests really tell you, and none of them claim to measure actual INFLAMMATION, which is what I'm really after. I'm guessing the the use of the antibody tests are a decent proxy for inflammation but I guest I don't really know.

JD2020 thanks for the info on the A2 dairy. And I also am a HUGE fan on my Latte's in the morning. This is kind of the entire point of the original post. I really don't want to give up dairy just because it "may" be inflammatory for many people.

Sara, I'm not sure how helpful an elimination diet would be because I have no signs/symptoms of pretty much anything right now (good energy, at target weight, no aches/pains, etc), so I'm not sure what improvement I would be looking for. But yes, I'm familiar with elimination diets, and that might be something for the future, for sure.

Tincup, what a great data dump you posted! There's a lot to unpack. I'd like to get the Vibrant Zoomer test. Not sure how I feel about the Coca Pulse test, as there are so many different variables that can affect HR from hour to hour and would hesitate to draw a conclusion. But interesting nonetheless.

NYC44
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

NYC44 wrote:Hi everyone. Thanks for all of your inputs! I've been searching online to see how it's possible to inflammation caused by food via lab work and I'm getting imperfect answers.

Apparently there are allergy tests that use IgG antibodies (Life Extension and others) , then there are allergy tests that use IgE (Quest), and then there are tests that use hair follicles - this test claims it's NOT an allergy test but rather a sensitivity test. It uses "Bioresonance Technology using Quantum Physics Machine"...sounds like BS to me).

It's unclear what if any of these tests really tell you, and none of them claim to measure actual INFLAMMATION, which is what I'm really after. I'm guessing the the use of the antibody tests are a decent proxy for inflammation but I guest I don't really know.

JD2020 thanks for the info on the A2 dairy. And I also am a HUGE fan on my Latte's in the morning. This is kind of the entire point of the original post. I really don't want to give up dairy just because it "may" be inflammatory for many people.

Sara, I'm not sure how helpful an elimination diet would be because I have no signs/symptoms of pretty much anything right now (good energy, at target weight, no aches/pains, etc), so I'm not sure what improvement I would be looking for. But yes, I'm familiar with elimination diets, and that might be something for the future, for sure.

Tincup, what a great data dump you posted! There's a lot to unpack. I'd like to get the Vibrant Zoomer test. Not sure how I feel about the Coca Pulse test, as there are so many different variables that can affect HR from hour to hour and would hesitate to draw a conclusion. But interesting nonetheless.

NYC44
I personally have not (yet?) been willing to put my money into any of these food tests. I'd like to see more consensus and peer review as opposed to new tests here and there, but maybe I'm just not aware of that being available and it is. I have considered ordering the MRT food test. They were in the process of publishing on their method and results in the context of PCOS. I need to see if that's been done.

Dr. Kara Fitzgerald just did a podcast with the chemist behind the Dutch hormone test that's often used in functional medicine. They discussed the need for FM practitioners to pursue peer reviewed, evidence based medicine yea! Kara's recently published and of course Dr. Bredesen is working on his arena through peer review. Dr. Ackerley is promoting research on the environmental awareness front. So while I think FM may be behind the curve in many ways as far as evidence base, many are aware of the issue and trying to address it. The podcast did give me more confidence in the Dutch test, but it also reinforced my hesitancy to order from the new vanguard of expensive tests that are being promoted.

I'm answering beyond the topic, but it would be great to have a Wiki page listing non-FDA approved tests being used and any peer reivewed papers discussing them. Let's make the practitioners come to our Wiki to keep up with this! :lol:
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.