Best yogurt alternative?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
shortwkt
Contributor
Contributor

Best yogurt alternative?

Post by shortwkt »

Hi there,

I am a 35 years old 4/4 and love to eat yogurt & berries/nuts for breakfast. I thought self-made coconut-yogurt would be a great alternative because it is high in fat and only has little carbs. But now i found out, that this is the worst choice i could make (because it mainly contains bad saturated fats). So - as I really dont want to do withought my yogurt. Is there a apoe4 friendly alternative?

What is the best choice if i plan to eat yogurt on a daily base? Almond yogurt, soy yogurt? Or just normal dairy yogurt with high fat? (Probably not because dairy leads to inflammation)

Thanks for your advice 🙏
in the 4/4 club
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Best yogurt alternative?

Post by floramaria »

shortwkt wrote:Hi there,

I am a 35 years old 4/4 and love to eat yogurt & berries/nuts for breakfast. I thought self-made coconut-yogurt would be a great alternative because it is high in fat and only has little carbs. But now i found out, that this is the worst choice i could make (because it mainly contains bad saturated fats). So - as I really dont want to do withought my yogurt. Is there a apoe4 friendly alternative?

What is the best choice if i plan to eat yogurt on a daily base? Almond yogurt, soy yogurt? Or just normal dairy yogurt with high fat? (Probably not because dairy leads to inflammation)

Thanks for your advice 🙏
Hi shortwht, My personal choice has been that I am still eating full fat dairy yogurt. I have switched to mainly sheep or goat milk yogurt which may be less inflammatory. Many people might not consider my yogurt ApoE4 friendly, but I allow a higher level of saturated fats in my diet than they do. It is a difficult area because the experts disagree somewhat on the dangers of saturated fats. It is quite possible that I have chosen to put my faith in the group who don’t worry so much about saturated fats because that is convenient for me. :roll:
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

floramaria wrote:It is a difficult area because the experts disagree somewhat on the dangers of saturated fats. It is quite possible that I have chosen to put my faith in the group who don’t worry so much about saturated fats because that is convenient for me.
Is the main worry about whether it increases LDL along with an assumption that all elevated LDL is bad? If so, then if someone thinks all LDL is bad, or they think that only oxidized LDL is bad but they have markers of oxidized LDL, then I would think that comparing LDL levels to dietary saturated fat levels could be helpful. But it's probably more complicated than that :? My LDL doesn't appear to be oxidized, but it did go up when I ate more saturated fat. I chose to bring it back down in case the group saying that any type of LDL is bad is correct. It's still high normal, so hopefully that will plug the ApoE4 hole, that may require more LDL, if I have one such hole! I think getting out in the sun now will do my more good today than trying to figure all this out :lol:
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
ro.oconnor
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ro.oconnor »

floramaria wrote:
shortwkt wrote:Hi there,

Thanks for your advice 🙏
Hi shortwht, My personal choice has been that I am still eating full fat dairy yogurt. I have switched to mainly sheep or goat milk yogurt which may be less inflammatory. Many people might not consider my yogurt ApoE4 friendly, but I allow a higher level of saturated fats in my diet than they do. It is a difficult area because the experts disagree somewhat on the dangers of saturated fats. It is quite possible that I have chosen to put my faith in the group who don’t worry so much about saturated fats because that is convenient for me. :roll:
Hello shortwkt!

I am a support team intern and would like to welcome you to the ApoE4.Info website. I'm so glad that you found us! Good for you for making your own yogurt. It sounds like a great way to nourish yourself and take care of your health.

I am not a yogurt expert, but I see that you already have two helpful responses to your post. Like floramaria, I have heard that goat milk is less inflammatory than other dairy and therefore may be tolerated better. You could also look into other non-dairy options, as there are many out there. Unfortunately, without the nutritional facts in front of me, I am at a loss as far as the saturated fat content of each.

I can, however, direct you to different areas of the website that might be helpful to you. For example, if you want to search the forum for discussions about a topic like saturated fats, you can use the magnifying glass icon in the top right-hand corner of the screen to the left of your username. We also have a wiki section about fats.

In addition to these resources, you may also find the Primer helpful, as it includes researched-based prevention strategies. The How-to Guide
includes tricks and tips for getting the most out of the discussion forums. And finally, you may be interested in visiting Our Stories.
There you can browse the stories of other members and if you are comfortable, share your own.

Best of luck with finding the breakfast yogurt that works for you! If there is anything else you want to know and can't find it on the website, please don't hesitate to reach out!

Warmly,
Rosanne
ro.oconnor

ApoE 3/4
shortwkt
Contributor
Contributor

Post by shortwkt »

I appreciate your quick responses. Thank you!

The problem about vegan alternatives is probably that most of them contain more sugars and other additives.

It seems, this is not an easy topic with clear evidences. I also read, that Goat / sheep yogurt would be less inflammatory (A2 dairy?). Maybe I should give it a try. :)
in the 4/4 club
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

shortwkt wrote:I appreciate your quick responses. Thank you!

The problem about vegan alternatives is probably that most of them contain more sugars and other additives.

It seems, this is not an easy topic with clear evidences. I also read, that Goat / sheep yogurt would be less inflammatory (A2 dairy?). Maybe I should give it a try. :)
Yes, you’re correct that goat and sheep yogurt are thought to be less inflammatory because the milk is A2. For that same reason, though I limit my cheese intake somewhat, what I purchase from US producers is made from goat and sheep milk. I also buy cheeses from France and Italy which are said to be from A2 milk. (The prices help keep my consumption down!)
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

floramaria wrote:I limit my cheese intake somewhat, what I purchase from US producers is made from goat and sheep milk. I also buy cheeses from France and Italy which are said to be from A2 milk. (The prices help keep my consumption down!)
I gave up my remaining dairy when I stopped my 2 oz a day of goat milk keifer due to the congestion is causes me. Recently, however, while at a local EVOO store, I tried Olive Wood Smoked Olive Oil. This tasted exactly like smoked gouda cheese to me, which was one of my favorite cheeses many years ago! I can imagine sipping this EVOO while preparing dinner and pretending I was eating gouda cheese like in the old days. It seems to be widely available online, but it would be best to try it first at a specialty store in case your taste buds pick up notes of caster oil instead :D
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
shortwkt
Contributor
Contributor

Post by shortwkt »

Decided to go with organic quark (german product similar to yogurt but more fat/protein) until i find a better alternative.

Here are the nutrition information (sorry if its translated incorrectly but i think it should be readable)

Nutritional information per 100 g (unprepared) / RDA (in%)
Energy in kJ / kcal 594/143/7
Fat (in g) 10.2 / 15
of which saturated fatty acids 6.9 / 35
Carbohydrates (in g) 3.2 / 1
of which sugar 3.2 / 4
Protein (in g) 9/18
Salt (in g) 0.1 / 2

It's a bit unsatisfying that there is no "obvious" good choice for APOE4 carriers but I think this one is better than Coconut yogurt (which had 19 % fat of which 17% are saturated fats).

If anyone has any good recommendations / advice on this, please feel free to let me know. :)
in the 4/4 club
Quantifier
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Quantifier »

shortwkt wrote: The problem about vegan alternatives is probably that most of them contain more sugars and other additives.
Actually most vegan yogurts I see in the supermarket are unsweetened. Some are vanilla flavored, others are plain, but in any case, no added sugar. Their macro-nutrient composition varies based on the source - cashew is mostly carb, coconut is highest in saturated fats, I think soy is the most balanced.