Dr. Jeff Horacek Hood River, OR

Share our experiences, one topic per practitioner.
TheHormonePharmacist
Contributor
Contributor

Dr. Jeff Horacek Hood River, OR

Post by TheHormonePharmacist »

My parents live in the tiny village of North Bonneville, WA, about 45 minutes East of Portland, in the Columbia River Gorge.

They've been working with Dr. Char Glenn in Portland for a few years, at my recommendation. Dr. Glenn has told them she might be retiring from practice soon.

We started talking about finding a new practitioner, especially focusing on one familiar with the Bredesen Protocol.

I did some searching and found Dr. Jeff Horacek at Healthy Connections . His website indicates he's Bredesen-trained and very comfortable with treating patients with cognitive symptoms and risks.

The best news is that he's in Hood River, OR, which is about as close to my parents as possible. They're in Hood River at least a couple times a month and the traffic is a lot easier to deal with than going into NW Portland to see Dr. Glenn.

Just wondering if anyone on the forums has had any experience with Dr. Horacek.
Last edited by TheHormonePharmacist on Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve Goldring, RPh The Hormone Pharmacist

I help patients and healthcare practitioners with easy-to-understand patient education resources - mostly about hormone optimization
SimpleHormones.com
Netfixer
New User
New User

Re: Dr. Jeff Horacek Hood River, OR

Post by Netfixer »

My wife has early onset Alzheimer’s. She has been seeing Dr. Horacek for around 9 months. We drive from Salt Lake to hood river to see him as well as do televisits. We are extremely happy with him. He is the first physician I have seen in decades who actually spends time with his patients.
As a result of our good experience with my wife, I am also using him as my family physician.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

TheHormonePharmacist wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:55 am Just wondering if anyone on the forums has had any experience with Dr. Horacek.
Netfixer wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:50 pm My wife has early onset Alzheimer’s. She has been seeing Dr. Horacek for around 9 months. We drive from Salt Lake to hood river to see him as well as do televisits. We are extremely happy with him. He is the first physician I have seen in decades who actually spends time with his patients.
I'm quoting both of you, so you'll know there has been a reply
Tincup
E3,E4
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Netfixer wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:50 pm My wife has early onset Alzheimer’s. She has been seeing Dr. Horacek for around 9 months. We drive from Salt Lake to hood river to see him as well as do televisits. We are extremely happy with him. He is the first physician I have seen in decades who actually spends time with his patients.
As a result of our good experience with my wife, I am also using him as my family physician.
Welcome, Netfixer! Thank you for posting your experience with Dr. Horacek. Spending time listening to patients (and their loved ones) is so important when you both are learning how to live well with this diagnosis. It's a testament to your commitment that you have traveled at least 10 hours each way (by my Google Maps estimate) to see Dr. Horacek and great that he also does televisits.

In case you are new to the forum, please let me share some resources that may be helpful. Our wonderful Moderator Tincup showed one resource: "quoting" people, by clicking on the quotation mark in the upper right hand corner of their post. That brings their post over to the start of a "posting/editing page" where you can add your reply, preview it and hit "submit." Members get an email notification that they have been quoted by someone else.

More tips for using the forum are in our Wiki on How-To" Get the most out of the ApoE4.info website.

As an addition to the information and support you're receiving from Dr. Horacek, you may want to browse sections of the PRIMER: An introduction to ApoE4, biochemistry, and possible prevention strategies. It was written by a practicing family physician and forum member with ApoE 4/4, focuses on multiple strategies and advocates being kind to ourselves as we recognize that ApoE 4 presents both risks and opportunities to live a meaningful life.

I have been privileged to meet several people with Early Onset Alzheimer's disease (EAOD), whose diagnosis occurred in their 50's and who have continued to be involved in activities that support their values and preferences, whether through travel, volunteering for studies, acting as an advocate for others with EOAD or making time for family and friends through in-person or virtual meetups. Here is a link to a talk last week by one of those friends, Dr. Cynthia Huling Hummel. She is an inspiration-- and someone who is never afraid to tell doctors or scientists "Here's what you need to do to make this work for me" (ex. provide me notes ahead of a meeting, give me time to frame my thoughts, etc.) She is always a person who happens to be living with Alzheimer's and never "an Alzheimer's sufferer".

Please accept our deep thanks for sharing your experiences and keep us posted about how you and your wife are doing. We learn how to live well from others who lead the way.
4/4 and still an optimist!
TheHormonePharmacist
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the input. Hoping my Dad makes an appointment.

I help patients and healthcare practitioners with easy-to-understand patient education resources - mostly about hormone optimization
SimpleHormones.com
TheHormonePharmacist
Contributor
Contributor

By the way, I'm also in Salt Lake. I make the trip to the Gorge 1-2 times a year.

SimpleHormones.com