Welcome!!!

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
Susieandme
New User
New User

Re: Welcome!!!

Post by Susieandme »

Thank you for a VERY warm welcome :-) I am exploring the site and enjoying reading :-) Thank you for all this immense work that you made so we can be better informed and look after ourselves individually and in a group. I am pretty much living the life that Dr Dale Bredesen recommends for quite a bit. I know I have a greater than average chance to have this ApoE4 allele and I live like I have it. But after reading his 'The end of Alzheimer's', I learned I can do even more. I will also buy his latest book and religiously follow the forum here. I hope you are all having a great day :-) Kindly, Suzana
SBee
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SBee »

Susieandme wrote:Thank you for a VERY warm welcome :-) I am exploring the site and enjoying reading :-) Thank you for all this immense work that you made so we can be better informed and look after ourselves individually and in a group. I am pretty much living the life that Dr Dale Bredesen recommends for quite a bit. I know I have a greater than average chance to have this ApoE4 allele and I live like I have it. But after reading his 'The end of Alzheimer's', I learned I can do even more. I will also buy his latest book and religiously follow the forum here. I hope you are all having a great day :-) Kindly, Suzana
Hi Susieandme,
I am certain your gratitude is appreciated by all who are a part of this community! Glad to hear that you have found the site helpful :) It sounds like your intuition has guided you in following Dr. Bredesen's protocol and his most recent book will offer continued inspiration and determination in living your best and healthiest life!
Warmly,
Sue
SBee
ApoE2/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Mel
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Welcome LynnDeeOH4 !!!

Post by Mel »

I am in a similar situation, in my mid 50's, have a mother in her 80's who has Alzheimer's disease. I am currently experimenting with "Whole Food Plant Based" (+ no dairy, no added sugar) eating with some fish. I work out, do intermittent fasting (window), and keep my brain busy at a job interacting with others.

I do include complex carbs (i.e. brown rice, sweet potatoes, oatmeal, etc) like Dr. Esselstyn, Dr. Campbell & Dr. McDougall would recommend which is not recommended by everyone who is APOE4/4. However, years ago I had focused on getting into ketosis with MCT oil, whole fat dairy and meats. My brain felt great on this high fat diet but my triglycerides, C reactive protein, HDL/LDL numbers went up so high my doctor got scared and wanted to put me on all of this medication. As one doctor said, "what good is protecting your brain if your doing to die of a heart attack?" I was conflicted.

Thus the change. Not sure whether the WFPB complex carb/low fat is the way to go (I am a walking experiment!), but I do feel better physically this way... possibly due to the increased vegetables in my diet. Also not sure whether Dr. Esselstyn, Dr. Campbell & Dr. McDougall (from Forks over knives documentary) are APOE4, but they are fairly "old" and appear to still have a good memory. Depending on how this goes (i.e. memory), I may need to make changes. To be continued...
sunrise125
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sunrise125 »

Good Afternoon,
Still trying to learn as much as I can outside specific Doc recommendations. Came across in research papers the preference of krill oil over fish oil to better help the brain get what it needs, but without a specific product. I am 64 and prefer not guess. I wish I had known about this 2 years ago when I found my status through 23andme (the blood test was wrong!). I feel I have wasted a bit(!) of time and really want to optimize. Any suggestions welcome
Thank you
SBee
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SBee »

sunrise125 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:59 am Good Afternoon,
Still trying to learn as much as I can outside specific Doc recommendations. Came across in research papers the preference of krill oil over fish oil to better help the brain get what it needs, but without a specific product. I am 64 and prefer not guess. I wish I had known about this 2 years ago when I found my status through 23andme (the blood test was wrong!). I feel I have wasted a bit(!) of time and really want to optimize. Any suggestions welcome
Thank you

Welcome, sunrise125!
Thanks for joining the conversation and posting your question :)
Sounds like you've already been exploring the site and looking at some of the research to support brain health! You may be able to find some specific brands of krill oil shared by other members by using the search function and entering something like "krill oil brands".
And while some of the research supports that krill oil may be preferable to fish oil or DHA supplements for brain health, it is not conclusive at this time.

If you would like to learn more about ApoE4, I can direct you to the Primer, which is a detailed and informative resource written by a practicing M.D. with ApoE4/4. It includes information about the biochemistry of the ApoE4 gene and offers a variety of research-based prevention strategies.

The How-To Guide offers tips on how to navigate forums and respond to posts including how to quote members (use the quotation icon in the upper right of any post) so they get an email notification of your post. It also demonstrates how to use the Search function for topics, and how to subscribe to topics of interest in the forums.

Finally, if you are interested in sharing more details about your own story or just learning more about other community members' experiences, you can link to Our Stories.

I hope you find these tools useful and please feel free to reach out if you need additional support.
Thank you again for joining the community...we're glad you found us!

Warmly,
Sue
SBee
ApoE2/4
longtimevegan
New User
New User

Re: effective fish oil substitute !!!

Post by longtimevegan »

The product iwi BRAIN is made from algae, not fish or krill… and is sustainably-sourced. No fishy belches or aftertaste, either. It’s 100% plant-based and gluten-free. I’m not affiliated with the company in any way.
Nicnac0526
Contributor
Contributor

Re: effective fish oil substitute !!!

Post by Nicnac0526 »

longtimevegan wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:59 pm The product iwi BRAIN is made from algae, not fish or krill… and is sustainably-sourced. No fishy belches or aftertaste, either. It’s 100% plant-based and gluten-free. I’m not affiliated with the company in any way.
Welcome longtimevegan,
My name is Nicky and I am a welcome intern for this wonderful forum. Thank-you for the suggestion/comment about iwiBRAIN, it is super helpful tips and information and the support that our community provides that make this forum so useful. From a personal point of view, gummies that do not provide an aftertaste are good to know.

Since you replied to a thread that has the information that we usually give members, I won't be tedious in repeating this. I will highlight however that if you use the quotation icon in the top right hand corner of the post, the person that you are replying to will know that you have replied.
If you have any queries please do reach out to us.
Warm wishes
Nicky (Nicnac0526)
longtimevegan
New User
New User

Post by longtimevegan »

Nicnac0526 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:58 pm
Welcome longtimevegan,
My name is Nicky and I am a welcome intern for this wonderful forum. Thank-you for the suggestion/comment about iwiBRAIN, it is super helpful tips and information and the support that our community provides that make this forum so useful. From a personal point of view, gummies that do not provide an aftertaste are good to know.

Since you replied to a thread that has the information that we usually give members, I won't be tedious in repeating this. I will highlight however that if you use the quotation icon in the top right hand corner of the post, the person that you are replying to will know that you have replied.
If you have any queries please do reach out to us.
Warm wishes
Nicky (Nicnac0526)
[/quote]

Thank you, Nicky.
SandyZ
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SandyZ »

Hi Julie,

Thank you for the warm welcome! My mom recently passed away at the age of 91 after a 10 year struggle with Alzheimer's Disease. I didn't know a lot about the disease when her memory started to decline. Over the years I read many books and became a Functional Medicine health coach as a result. She had many health issues that contributed to the course of her disease. We made many changes to her nutrition and lifestyle that brought some slowing of the decline in cognition. She was not tested for APOE4.

I am here to learn as much as I can and hope to contribute to the group.

In gratitude,

Sandy Z.
SandyZ
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
ReCODE 2.0 Trained Health Coach
Theresa.J
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Theresa.J »

SandyZ wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:04 pm Hi Julie,

Thank you for the warm welcome! My mom recently passed away at the age of 91 after a 10 year struggle with Alzheimer's Disease. I didn't know a lot about the disease when her memory started to decline. Over the years I read many books and became a Functional Medicine health coach as a result. She had many health issues that contributed to the course of her disease. We made many changes to her nutrition and lifestyle that brought some slowing of the decline in cognition. She was not tested for APOE4.

I am here to learn as much as I can and hope to contribute to the group.

Hi SandyZ -

Let me welcome you to the ApoE4.info site as well! I am an intern on the Support Team and also a Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach. I'm sorry for your recent loss of your mom to Alzheimer's Disease. My grandmother died 23 years ago after struggling with AD and now my 81 year old mother is starting to show signs of cognitive decline. These experiences led me to apply for the internship with this site. I've learned a lot! I am sure you have much insight and wisdom to share and I hope you will not be shy about participating in the the forums.

I am guessing that love of learning and perseverance are two of your top character strengths, based on your description of how you supported your mom these past many years. She was so fortunate that you stepped up with these strengths as she faced her health challenges. I admire you and am grateful that now you are here on this site to learn more and contribute in this community!

In my role as a Welcome intern, let me share several tools/resources to help you get the most out of your experience here:

First, the Primer is a detailed and informative resource written by a practicing M.D. with ApoE4/4. It includes information about the biochemistry of the ApoE4 gene and offers a variety of research-based prevention strategies. I assume you are familiar with many of these, given your experience with your mom and your FMCA training.

In addition, the How to Guide offers tips on how to navigate forums and respond to posts. If you use the quotation icon (located in the top right hand corner of the post) when replying, the person that you are replying to will get an email notification that you have posted a reply. The "How to Guide" also demonstrates how to use the "Search" function for topics and how to subscribe to topics of interest in the forums.

Finally, if you would like to learn more about other community members' experiences, you can link to Our Stories. You can also share more of your experience there if you are comfortable doing so.

I hope you find these tools useful as you navigate the site. Please reach out if you need any other assistance!

Take care and be well.

Warmly,
Theresa
Theresa.J, MPH
ApoE4.info Support Team Intern