12/5/2021 forum software upgrade

Vision, strategy, service, and activism. Web and social media planning and technical discussion.
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Re: 12/5/2021 forum software upgrade

Post by MarcR »

circular wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:52 am By the way, I love the little blue decorative "online" banners :-D
I agree. The "online" banners are nice, and generally phpBB v3.3 is more polished than v3.1. I especially like the improved quoting.

I do confess to some disappointment that there isn't more. The focus over the past five years has been on under-the-hood maintenance items like adapting to upgrades of required third-party software like PHP. The elevator pitches for 3.2 and 3.3 don't highlight much new functionality that's visible to forum users.

My visits to the phpBB development team's forums have left me with the impression that the product is in gradual secular decline due to a diminishing volunteer labor pool. The causes of that are multiple and the subject of debate, but my expectations for future improvements are modest.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

MarcR wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:24 pm
circular wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:52 am By the way, I love the little blue decorative "online" banners :-D
I agree. The "online" banners are nice, and generally phpBB v3.3 is more polished than v3.1. I especially like the improved quoting.

I do confess to some disappointment that there isn't more. The focus over the past five years has been on under-the-hood maintenance items like adapting to upgrades of required third-party software like PHP. The elevator pitches for 3.2 and 3.3 don't highlight much new functionality that's visible to forum users.

My visits to the phpBB development team's forums have left me with the impression that the product is in gradual secular decline due to a diminishing volunteer labor pool. The causes of that are multiple and the subject of debate, but my expectations for future improvements are modest.
Ah, well, that is unfortunate. The good news is that if many here are like me they don't have a clue what features they are missing. Meanwhile, everything seems to work well and look good thanks to all the hard work you and others have put in.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

MarcR wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:24 pm ....my expectations for future improvements are modest.
Thank you for all your maintaining and improving the website.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health