What Are Your Current Prevention Strategies?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: What Are Your Current Prevention Strategies?

Post by circular »

grommet wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:43 pm
CAngelS wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:54 pm I'm curious what type/brand of magnesium you take? And what's the primary reason you take creatine, also? (Any recommended dose?) I've seen other people reference it, but I'm not very familiar with it's benefits other than for weight-lifters.
Life Extension Magnesium - one 500 mg cap/day. Dr. Greger said a video that creatine could help people get Homoceistine in check if other interventions aren’t working. My Homoceistine was a ~10 but I was trying to get it under 7. My last reading was 6.2, so I guess it worked? Who knows. :-)
Creatine is also supposed to have some cognitive benefits, but I'm not familiar with any studies on that. You might find some?
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
mcpemberton2000
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mcpemberton2000 »

CAngelS wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:59 am ***I initially posted in the wrong category & was unable to move it. Reposting here!***

As we start the new year, I wondered if we might share our current preventative approaches and strategies to hold off Alzheimer's?

What did you do well last year? What are you planning to change up this year? Any recommendations??

I watch the forum often for ideas and I LOVE learning what others are doing. Whether you post all the time -- or like me, you tend to lurk :lol: -- your N1 strategies are informative and helpful for all of us!

My 2020 Strategies:
  • 1. Drinking silica water daily to chelate aluminum
  • 2. Donating blood &/or platelets to lower ferritin levels (BONUS: this helps others which I feel great about:))
  • 3. Fasting/adjusting diet to lower insulin resistance
  • 4. Taking supplements 5-6x/week (a good goal for me!) & walking 1-2x/week
  • 5. Memorizing scripture (working my brain in new ways:))
My Supplements:
  • Life Extensions Multivitamin:
    Vit. A (1500mcg), Vit. C (470mg), Vit. D3 (50mcg), Vit. E (67mg), Thiamine/B1 (75mg), Riboflavin/B2 (50mg), Niacin/B3 (50mg), Vit. B6 (75mg), Folate as 5-MTHF (680mcg), B12 (300mcg), Biotin (300mcg), Pantothenic acid (50mg), Iodine (150mcg), Magnesium oxide (100mg), Zinc (25mg), Selenium as L-selenocysteine (200mcg), Manganese (2mg), Chromium (200mcg), Molybdenum (100mcg), Inositol (50mg), Alpha lipic acid (25mg), Natural mixed tocopherols (20mg), Bio-Quercetin phytosome (5mg), Phosphatidylcholine complex (15mg), Marigold extract (11.12mg), Apigenin (5mg), Boron (3mg), Lycopene (1mg)
  • CoQ10 as Ubiquinol (200mg)
  • Curamed Curcumin (750mg)
  • Magnesium (300mg)
  • Jarrow PQQ (20mg)
  • Nutricost TMG (750mg)
  • Relentless Improvement Vit K2 MK-4 (15mg) & MK-7 (60mcg)
[*] I know everyone's supplement/health needs are different, but I would be glad of any recommendations on curcumin & magnesium supplements (or others). I've seen some different curcumin options here & I'm curious which might be best! And my previous magnesium brand included potassium & my levels are now a bit high.

Wins in 2020
  • Lowered ferritin levels 121ng/mL
  • Increased B12 levels to almost 500pg/mL
  • Restarted needed supplements
  • Began drinking silica water daily to reduce aluminum load
  • Helped others find hope & take action against Alzheimer's
  • Participated in counseling to lower stress

Goals for 2021
  • Continue working to lower insulin resistance
  • Increase exercise to 3-4x/week
  • Lower Triglyceride level (any recommendations in addition to diet are welcome!)
  • Continue work to lower ferritin level & raiseB12 level
  • Improve sleep patterns

What about you? What are your strategies?
Any wins/losses? New approaches/goals? Best practices?

***I'm wide-open to thoughts on change-ups I might make, too! Most of my best research and practices have come from this group.*** 8-)
Great post! You asked about curcumin. I've been taking Theracurmin for around 4 years now. I've noticed a difference cognitively and with joint pain as well. My wife recently started taking it for joint pain and has seen a difference as well. Hope that helps! Here's my 2022 goals:

1-Lower homocysteine from 10's to 7's by taking more B12 - I've been taking more the last couple of months and plan to test this summer.
2-Give blood - scheduled to do this at the end of the month.
3-Optimize sleep
4-Continue exercising 4 X per week.
5-Continue consistency with supplements each day.
6-Average 14 hours per day fasting. Last year I averaged a little over 13 hours.

I hope 2022 is good to everyone!
Happy New Year!
Tiramisu1984
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Tiramisu1984 »

cangels:

I take Solgar Curcumin (1), Irwin Naturals Liquid Gel Multi (1), Iwi Omega 3 (2), D+K - many softgel brands, (1).

I'm clinically low on Iodine and can't find that in softgel. So, SleepScore is much more nuanced than FitBit. It tracks light sleep, deep sleep and REM. How do you make your own silica water? My husband is not crazy about the waste and paying for water when we have a giant dispenser.

Grommet: Good luck on homocysteine. Mine is down significantly and not sure why. TMG helped. I get my Bs through the multivitamin.

ADD TO GOALS: Eat more fermented food. Been pretty easy since I discovered a kimchi and sauerkraut brand that I like (Cleveland)
CAngelS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CAngelS »

mcpemberton2000 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:40 am You asked about curcumin. I've been taking Theracurmin for around 4 years now. I've noticed a difference cognitively and with joint pain as well. My wife recently started taking it for joint pain and has seen a difference as well. Hope that helps! Here's my 2022 goals:

1-Lower homocysteine from 10's to 7's by taking more B12 - I've been taking more the last couple of months and plan to test this summer.
2-Give blood - scheduled to do this at the end of the month.
3-Optimize sleep
4-Continue exercising 4 X per week.
5-Continue consistency with supplements each day.
6-Average 14 hours per day fasting. Last year I averaged a little over 13 hours.
I'm so glad Theracurmin is working so well for you and your wife. That's terrific! Had you taken any other type prior to Theracurmin? (i.e. Do you think it's that type of Curcumin specifically?? Any other experiences -- good or bad?) I've read good things about Longvida Curcumin, also.

Thanks so much for sharing your goals. It's so helpful to identify actionable steps and the results we hope for -- and learning about others' goals can help us shape our own.

And thanks for sharing your fasting goal, especially. An average is a great way to think of this. Reminders that tending our health isn't always "All or Nothing" are so helpful!

Best wishes!

p.s. I was thrilled to learn recently that my homocysteine level is in a good range! :) My multivitamin has strong array of B vitamins and I've been on TMG, as well (like Tiramisu1984). I'm so grateful for the research and knowledge sharing here that helps point us in directions that positively impact our health!
tiramisu1984 wrote: Good luck on homocysteine. Mine is down significantly and not sure why. TMG helped.
"If you are kind only to your friends, how are you different from anyone else?" (Matthew 5:47)
CAngelS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CAngelS »

circular wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:03 pm
grommet wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:43 pm
CAngelS wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:54 pm I'm curious what type/brand of magnesium you take? And what's the primary reason you take creatine, also? (Any recommended dose?) I've seen other people reference it, but I'm not very familiar with it's benefits other than for weight-lifters.
Life Extension Magnesium - one 500 mg cap/day. Dr. Greger said a video that creatine could help people get Homoceistine in check if other interventions aren’t working. My Homoceistine was a ~10 but I was trying to get it under 7. My last reading was 6.2, so I guess it worked? Who knows. :-)
Creatine is also supposed to have some cognitive benefits, but I'm not familiar with any studies on that. You might find some?
Thanks circular & grommet!

Congrats on getting your homocysteine levels down, grommet!

I did find this review of randomized controlled trials of the effects of creatine supplementation on cognitive function: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29704637/ Interesting!
"If you are kind only to your friends, how are you different from anyone else?" (Matthew 5:47)
CAngelS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CAngelS »

Tiramisu1984 wrote: [/b]642381626 user_id=614]
cangels:

I take Solgar Curcumin (1), Irwin Naturals Liquid Gel Multi (1), Iwi Omega 3 (2), D+K - many softgel brands, (1).

I'm clinically low on Iodine and can't find that in softgel. So, SleepScore is much more nuanced than FitBit. It tracks light sleep, deep sleep and REM.

...ADD TO GOALS: Eat more fermented food. Been pretty easy since I discovered a kimchi and sauerkraut brand that I like (Cleveland)
Thanks for the brand recommendations & info on SleepScore. My version of Fitbit also gives light/deep/REM calculations, but I'll look into the difference further:)

Fermented food is incredible for us!! Glad you've found a kind you like:) I've gone through phases of making my own, but my family aren't huge fans -- they will eat fermented jalepeños & salsa, though. ;) And I do make yummy kombucha w/silica water!
CAngelS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CAngelS »

Tiramisu1984 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:07 pm cangels:
How do you make your own silica water? My husband is not crazy about the waste and paying for water when we have a giant dispenser.
This felt like it was worth it's own reply :D

Seriously making Silica water is super easy and is SO much less expensive.

To make it as easy as possible, we bought a Brita countertop dispenser from Amazon, which works great for our purposes. Our overall initial investment was less than $90, including the Brita ($28), tiny measuring spoons ($6), and the two main ingredients ($45), which are enough to make 100s of gallons on silica water. (We already had a gallon pitcher, a glass measuring cup, and baking soda.) It takes a few minutes a day to make a gallon, and we use it for all of our drinking water & coffee!

I've included a pdf with the simple form of the recipe I've shared w/friends that includes links to find what you need.
I got almost everything through Amazon, but I don't think the forum will allow Amazon links. I don't get any benefit if you use the links--I just thought they might be helpful:)

Silica Water Recipe.pdf

I've also linked the original detailed recipe from Laurie Adamson & her husband, Dennis Crouse, below. Thanks, Laurie!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by laurie »

Tiramisu1984 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:07 pm How do you make your own silica water? My husband is not crazy about the waste and paying for water when we have a giant dispenser.
I want to thank CangelS for providing the links to you for making your own silica water, Silicade. My husband Dennis N. Crouse who is a chemist developed the recipe. If you have any questions let me know.
Apoe 3/4

"True prevention is only possible by first discovering the cause of a disease such as Alzheimer's."
Dennis N Crouse
CAngelS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CAngelS »

laurie wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:57 pm
Tiramisu1984 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:07 pm How do you make your own silica water? My husband is not crazy about the waste and paying for water when we have a giant dispenser.
I want to thank CangelS for providing the links to you for making your own silica water, Silicade. My husband Dennis N. Crouse who is a chemist developed the recipe. If you have any questions let me know.
You and your husband are a terrific team, Laurie! Thanks for helping make his research accessible — and for sharing your own research and support, as well.

I’ve shared his recipe with so many of our friends and family members — and it’s pretty much all we drink in our home.

Thanks again!
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Tiramisu1984 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:07 pm So, SleepScore is much more nuanced than FitBit. It tracks light sleep, deep sleep and REM.
I used to track light sleep, deep sleep and REM on my Fitbit, so it may depend which model one has. It may also depend on whatever perks are in their subscription service.

Thanks to you mentioning it, I downloaded SleepScore to give it a run. Their website is clear that, if it ever was and still is true, it is the most accurate of the non-contact sleep devices. I'm wondering how it compares to sleep devices that use direct contact with the body.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.