Aluminum Tools in the Kitchen

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
JoannaElizabeth
Contributor
Contributor

Aluminum Tools in the Kitchen

Post by JoannaElizabeth »

Hello! In an online forum about cooking someone mentioned that they do not use aluminum at all in the kitchen, because of studies showing it's relationship to Alzheimer's. Is this a recommended practice full stop? Or does it depend on if HEAT is involved, like with an aluminum skillet?

For instance, right now I own an aluminum whipped cream dispenser, and I'm considering buying an aluminum ice cream scoop (a classic that all the ice cream enthusiasts gush about). Neither of the scoop nor the whipped cream dispenser are heated when food is touching them, in fact they are cold when food is touching them. They would only get heat when I wash them by hand.

Please let me know the current wisdom on aluminum, and if you suggest I get rid of my whipped cream dispenser, and go with my second-choice (stainless) ice cream scoop?

PS
If you're worried about me with all the sugary stuff, I actually do low-carb and keto deserts only. I love making my own. Example: my whipped cream is made of coconut cream, vanilla extract, stevia and monkfruit drops.

PPS
This is my first posting here - please let me know if I'm doing it wrong? APOE 3/4. Thank you!
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
APOE 3/4
Joanna Elizabeth Lenn
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: Aluminum Tools in the Kitchen

Post by Tincup »

JoannaElizabeth wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:48 pm Please let me know the current wisdom on aluminum, and if you suggest I get rid of my whipped cream dispenser, and go with my second-choice (stainless) ice cream scoop?
Hi JoannaElizabeth, welcome!

I'm going to tag @laurie, whose husband is a Harvard Chemist PhD & has addressed many aluminum issues. Perhaps she will comment.
laurie wrote:
Personally, I would think time and elevated temperature would be the key variables.
Tincup
E3,E4
SBee
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SBee »

JoannaElizabeth wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:48 pm Hello! In an online forum about cooking someone mentioned that they do not use aluminum at all in the kitchen, because of studies showing it's relationship to Alzheimer's. Is this a recommended practice full stop? Or does it depend on if HEAT is involved, like with an aluminum skillet?

For instance, right now I own an aluminum whipped cream dispenser, and I'm considering buying an aluminum ice cream scoop (a classic that all the ice cream enthusiasts gush about). Neither of the scoop nor the whipped cream dispenser are heated when food is touching them, in fact they are cold when food is touching them. They would only get heat when I wash them by hand.

Please let me know the current wisdom on aluminum, and if you suggest I get rid of my whipped cream dispenser, and go with my second-choice (stainless) ice cream scoop?

PS
If you're worried about me with all the sugary stuff, I actually do low-carb and keto deserts only. I love making my own. Example: my whipped cream is made of coconut cream, vanilla extract, stevia and monkfruit drops.

PPS
This is my first posting here - please let me know if I'm doing it wrong? APOE 3/4. Thank you!

Welcome, JoannaElizabeth!
Thanks so much for posting your question :) I see that tincup has already responded with outreach to someone who may be able to provide you with some answers about aluminum cookware/utensils.
By the way, love your creativity in the kitchen with recipes for low carb/keto desserts...sounds delicious!

I'm not sure if you have been able to explore the site in detail since you joined, but I can share several tools/resources to help you get the most out of your experience here:

If you would like to learn more about ApoE4, the Primer is a detailed and informative resource written by a practicing M.D. with ApoE4/4. It includes information about the biochemistry of the ApoE4 gene and offers a variety of research-based prevention strategies.

The How-To Guide offers tips on how to navigate forums and respond to posts including how to quote members (use the quotation icon in the upper right of any post) so they get an email notification of your post. It also demonstrates how to use the Search function for topics, and how to subscribe to topics of interest in the forums.

Finally, if you are interested in sharing more details about your own story or just learning about other community members' experiences, you can link to Our Stories.

I hope you find these tools useful, and please feel free to reach out if you need additional support!
Take care and be well.

Warmly,
Sue
SBee
ApoE2/4
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by laurie »

JoannaElizabeth wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:48 pm Hello! In an online forum about cooking someone mentioned that they do not use aluminum at all in the kitchen, because of studies showing it's relationship to Alzheimer's. Is this a recommended practice full stop? Or does it depend on if HEAT is involved, like with an aluminum skillet?

APOE 3/4. Thank you!
Hi Joanna,

Good news you can keep your whipped cream dispenser and ice cream scoop. It is all about corrosion and corrosion will not occur unless what you whip or the ice cream you scoop is acidic. I am guessing they aren't. You are correct you don't want to cook/heat food in aluminum cookware. This will add aluminum to your food. When cooking, heat and acidity will corrode aluminum releasing aluminum into your food.

Welcome to the forum. I want to come to your house for an ice cream sunday!

I am pleased to hear someone in your online cooking forum mentioned aluminum being a causal factor of Alzheimer's. Cooks should also be aware that some baking powders contain aluminum.

For anyone who wants to look further into sources of aluminum, my husband and I have made a list with options for safer alternatives. Treated drinking water, antacids, some drip style coffee makers, antiperspirants, pharmaceuticals are some of the sources of aluminum.

Here is a link to our website which has a list of sources of aluminum as well as evidence based write ups on aluminum being a causal factor of Alzheimer's. The good news is drinking silica rich mineral water is effective at removing aluminum from the body including the brain. There are many bottled waters which are high in silica, Fiji, Volvic and Acilis are 3 of them. https://prevent-alzheimers-autism-strok ... -aluminum/
Apoe 3/4

"True prevention is only possible by first discovering the cause of a disease such as Alzheimer's."
Dennis N Crouse
JoannaElizabeth
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you! This is fantastic information - I'm glad to know it's heat and acidity that are key factors.

So... I'm guessing that scooping lemon sorbet is an issue? The citric acid would make the aluminum corrode into the sorbet then travel into me?

Come to think of it... Sometimes I put ascorbic acid (by emptying a vitamin C capsule) or a few drops of apple cider vinegar as an emulsifying agent in my ice cream - maybe I should go for the stainless scoop after all??

Do you live in Los Angeles? If you do, or if you're ever here, let's have some low-carb organic desserts at my place.
Last edited by JoannaElizabeth on Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
APOE 3/4
Joanna Elizabeth Lenn
JoannaElizabeth
Contributor
Contributor

Tincup wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:37 am
JoannaElizabeth wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:48 pm Please let me know the current wisdom on aluminum, and if you suggest I get rid of my whipped cream dispenser, and go with my second-choice (stainless) ice cream scoop?
Hi JoannaElizabeth, welcome!

I'm going to tag @laurie, whose husband is a Harvard Chemist PhD & has addressed many aluminum issues. Perhaps she will comment.
laurie wrote:
Personally, I would think time and elevated temperature would be the key variables.
Hello! I hope I am replying correctly? I hit the quote icon on the top right of your comment? Thank you for tagging @laurie, I appreciate it.
APOE 3/4
Joanna Elizabeth Lenn
JoannaElizabeth
Contributor
Contributor

SBee wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:41 am

PS

PPS

Welcome, JoannaElizabeth!
Thanks so much for posting your question :) I see that tincup has already responded with outreach to someone who may be able to provide you with some answers about aluminum cookware/utensils.
By the way, love your creativity in the kitchen with recipes for low carb/keto desserts...sounds delicious!

I'm not sure if you have been able to explore the site in detail since you joined, but I can share several tools/resources to help you get the most out of your experience here:

If you would like to learn more about ApoE4, the Primer is a detailed and informative resource written by a practicing M.D. with ApoE4/4. It includes information about the biochemistry of the ApoE4 gene and offers a variety of research-based prevention strategies.

The How-To Guide offers tips on how to navigate forums and respond to posts including how to quote members (use the quotation icon in the upper right of any post) so they get an email notification of your post. It also demonstrates how to use the Search function for topics, and how to subscribe to topics of interest in the forums.

Finally, if you are interested in sharing more details about your own story or just learning about other community members' experiences, you can link to Our Stories.

I hope you find these tools useful, and please feel free to reach out if you need additional support!
Take care and be well.

Warmly,
Sue
Thank you, Sue! I just read the How-To and it's a help. I did see the Primer the other day, I' looking forward to going thru in more detail and learning from the group.

Btw - I'm also a FMCHC. I graduated from FMCA in March : )
APOE 3/4
Joanna Elizabeth Lenn
SBee
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SBee »

JoannaElizabeth wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:48 pm Thank you, Sue! I just read the How-To and it's a help. I did see the Primer the other day, I' looking forward to going thru in more detail and learning from the group.

Btw - I'm also a FMCHC. I graduated from FMCA in March : )
Glad the “how to” helped! You’ll find a wealth of information and great support from the community members, too :)

Congratulations on completing your health coaching certification! I was a March 2021 graduate also!
SBee
ApoE2/4
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by laurie »

JoannaElizabeth wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:01 pm Thank you! This is fantastic information - I'm glad to know it's heat and acidity that are key factors.

So... I'm guessing that scooping lemon sorbet is an issue? The citric acid would make the aluminum corrode into the sorbet then travel into me?

Come to think of it... Sometimes I put ascorbic acid (by emptying a vitamin C capsule) or a few drops of apple cider vinegar as an emulsifying agent in my ice cream - maybe I should go for the stainless scoop after all??

Do you live in Los Angeles? If you do, or if you're ever here, let's have some low-carb organic desserts at my place.
Thanks for the dessert invite however I live on the east coast.
Apoe 3/4

"True prevention is only possible by first discovering the cause of a disease such as Alzheimer's."
Dennis N Crouse