Hormone Replacement Therapy E4 Women

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Hormone Replacement Therapy E4 Women

Post by slacker »

SusanJ wrote:New study by Roberta Diaz Brinton's group.
Thanks for sharing!
Slacker
E4/E4
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

SusanJ wrote:New study by Roberta Diaz Brinton's group...
Thank you for posting that! n = 379,352 women!
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

From Weill Cornell Medicine researchers, in collaboration with the University of Arizona:
All menopausal groups exhibited lower GMV in AD-vulnerable regions as compared to men, with peri-menopausal and post-menopausal groups also exhibiting lower GMV in temporal cortex as compared to the pre-menopausal group. Reproductive span, number of children and pregnancies, use of HT and HC were positively associated with GMV, chiefly in temporal cortex, frontal cortex, and precuneus, independent of age, APOE-4 status, and midlife health indicators. Although reproductive history indicators were not directly associated with cognitive measures, GMV in temporal regions was positively associated with memory and global cognition scores.
https://n.neurology.org/content/early/2 ... 0000012941

GMV is gray matter volume. HT is hormonal therapy and HC is hormonal contraceptives.

Article behind a paywall.

Here's a summary of the research if you don't want to search for the paper.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

SusanJ wrote:From Weill Cornell Medicine researchers, in collaboration with the University of Arizona:
All menopausal groups exhibited lower GMV in AD-vulnerable regions as compared to men, with peri-menopausal and post-menopausal groups also exhibiting lower GMV in temporal cortex as compared to the pre-menopausal group. Reproductive span, number of children and pregnancies, use of HT and HC were positively associated with GMV, chiefly in temporal cortex, frontal cortex, and precuneus, independent of age, APOE-4 status, and midlife health indicators. Although reproductive history indicators were not directly associated with cognitive measures, GMV in temporal regions was positively associated with memory and global cognition scores.
https://n.neurology.org/content/early/2 ... 0000012941

GMV is gray matter volume. HT is hormonal therapy and HC is hormonal contraceptives.

Article behind a paywall.

Here's a summary of the research if you don't want to search for the paper.
Thanks. That's quite an interesting. I wonder if # of children and other exposures to estrogen could cancel each other out to any degree. In other words, for women who don't have children, by choice or circumstance, can HC + HT sufficiently offset the benefit that pregnancies and having children can provide? I hate to think that women should feel pressure to have a family that includes their own children in order to decrease their chances of later cognitive decline. The second link to the summary provides some hope that subsequent research will delve into that more:
"We're hoping now to get further into the details of these links between estrogen and GMV, for example by comparing the effects of surgical menopause and spontaneous menopause, and by focusing specifically on certain types of estrogen exposure, such as menopause hormone therapy," said study first author Eva Schelbaum, research assistant in Dr. Mosconi's laboratory. [Emphasis added]
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
NS99
Contributor
Contributor

Post by NS99 »

Hi all, new to this site and just wondered if anyone can recommend any Drs in the UK who understand hormones and the link to dementia (and prescribe HRT). I've been desperately trying to find someone who understands early perimenopause (itself a risk factor for dementia), only to discover I also have a copy of APOE 4...

I've checked in the recommended practitioners list but there is nothing relevant.

Thanks in advance!
SBee
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SBee »

NS99 wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:21 am Hi all, new to this site and just wondered if anyone can recommend any Drs in the UK who understand hormones and the link to dementia (and prescribe HRT). I've been desperately trying to find someone who understands early perimenopause (itself a risk factor for dementia), only to discover I also have a copy of APOE 4...

I've checked in the recommended practitioners list but there is nothing relevant.

Thanks in advance!
Hello NS99 and a warm welcome to you!
Thank you so much for posting your question about physicians who are versed in potential links between dementia and early perimenopause/HRT. I'm sorry you were unable to find someone via the recommended practitioners list. One of our senior contributors suggested that Lisa Moscone’s book, The XX Brain could be a helpful resource for you and your Ob/Gyn. Other members might be able to assist you with some additional suggestions!

As you continue to explore the site, may I offer these tools/resources to support you:

The Primer is a detailed and informative resource written by a practicing M.D. with ApoE4/4. It includes information about the biochemistry of the ApoE4 gene and offers a variety of research-based prevention strategies.

The How-To Guide offers tips on how to navigate forums and respond to posts including how to quote members (use the quotation icon in the upper right of any post) so they get an email notification of your post. It also demonstrates how to use the Search function for topics, and how to subscribe to topics of interest in the forums.

Finally, Our Stories includes stories of other community members. You may wish to share your own story in this section if you feel comfortable doing so.

I hope you find these tools useful as you continue to navigate the site. Please feel free to reach out if you have any additional questions!

Warmly,
Sue
SBee
ApoE2/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
NS99
Contributor
Contributor

Post by NS99 »

Thanks so much Sue - and apologies for my slow reply, I hadn't realised you had responded!
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

NS99 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:19 am Thanks so much Sue - and apologies for my slow reply, I hadn't realised you had responded!
Hi NS99, this is from our Wiki on ApoE4 aware health providers:
Functional Medicine Associates; London, U.K.[edit]
Functional Medicine Associates are a group of experienced IFM certified practitioners with additional Bredesen and Kharrazian Institute training in dementia and Nero-cognitive issues. We use a systems biology approach, explore root causes and provide a positive pathway for people with manifestations of cognitive decline and in particular ApoE4 patients.

Phone: +44 7388 812179
Email: info@fm.associates
Address: 51 New Cavendish St, London W1G 9TG

You could also use the Search function to see if there are other posts about providers in the UK. You access that just under your user name. I'd suggest entering various searches to turn up all relevant results. Good luck!
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
NS99
Contributor
Contributor

Post by NS99 »

Great, thank you Floramaria!
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Interesting mouse study, finding that E4/E4 mice did not get improvement in object and spatial memory, or increased neuron dendritic spine density when given estradiol, while they did see improvements in E3/E4 and E3/E3 mice. They surmise it is related to the increased number of alpha estrogen receptors in E4s.
The researchers tested what happened when a potent form of estrogen, called estradiol, was given to mice in three groups: those with two copies of E3, those with two copies of E4, and those with one copy of E3 and one copy of E4. Estradiol was delivered directly into a part of the brain called the hippocampus that’s one of the first brain regions to deteriorate in Alzheimer’s.

They discovered that two copies of E4 inhibited estradiol’s ability to enhance memory for the location and identity of objects, and to improve neuron communication by promoting connectors called “dendritic spines.” In contrast, estradiol improved memory and increased the density of dendritic spines in the hippocampus of mice with one or two copies of E3.

Dendritic spines are knob-like structures that proliferate along dendrites, the “communication lines” on neurons. Neurons connect to each other at dendritic spines, so a loss of dendritic spines reduces communication in the brain. In an Alzheimer’s brain, spines in the hippocampus disappear first, making it an early indication of cognitive decline...

Estrogens influence cell function by binding to estrogen receptors – including receptors alpha and beta – inside cells. The alpha receptor, but not the beta receptor, is associated with the cancer-causing effects of estrogen therapy, so Frick’s team at Estrigenix has focused on creating highly selective compounds to target the beta receptor.

For E4/E4 animals that have shown no effects to estrogen treatment, the problem could lie with the alpha receptor, Frick said. The researchers have seen an elevated number of alpha receptors in E4/E4 animals.
Summary

Abstract to paper