Using RAPA for AD prevention

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Karina52
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Using RAPA for AD prevention

Post by Karina52 »

As a 69 year old 4/4 female, I researched the topic of rapamycin extensively, visited with Dr. Green and made the decision 3 months ago, to start rapamycin. I was prescribed 6mg once a week. Started at 4mg/week for one month, and now take 5 mg once a week. Whether I go to 6mg or not remains to be seen as I continue to monitor my labs. I live in the Atlanta area and am fortunate enough to have found a doctor here who is also 4/4, also past 65 and shares my absolute determination to maintain cognitive health. I have had no issues beyond one mouth ulcer which literally appeared within the first 2 hours of my first pill. I treated it with multiple topical Qtip applications of listerine daily and it was gone in 3 days. What is undeniable is more energy, more clarity and an overall sense of wellbeing both physically and emotionally. I'm sold on it.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Karina52 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:16 am As a 69 year old 4/4 female, I researched the topic of rapamycin extensively, visited with Dr. Green and made the decision 3 months ago, to start rapamycin. I was prescribed 6mg once a week. Started at 4mg/week for one month, and now take 5 mg once a week. Whether I go to 6mg or not remains to be seen as I continue to monitor my labs. I live in the Atlanta area and am fortunate enough to have found a doctor here who is also 4/4, also past 65 and shares my absolute determination to maintain cognitive health. I have had no issues beyond one mouth ulcer which literally appeared within the first 2 hours of my first pill. I treated it with multiple topical Qtip applications of listerine daily and it was gone in 3 days. What is undeniable is more energy, more clarity and an overall sense of wellbeing both physically and emotionally. I'm sold on it.
Thanks for posting your experience with rapamycin. That you are noticing "more energy, more clarity and an overall sense of wellbeing both physically and emotionally," is an exciting report! Please continue to update us.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Newtothis3/4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Newtothis3/4 »

When I started this thread, my hope was that people would learn about this prophylactic therapy for AD. I am thrilled to see that some people on this forum have taken the initiative to become informed and take control of their lives. Rapamycin treats AGING as a disease and slows or restores the natural process to earlier in life (25+) years. I have been on 12mg a week for 2.5 years, my wife (42) 6mg, my mom 69 (6mg) and my two dogs as well. The dogs are a great way to get some subjective observations as dogs age faster. My 13 year old golden was arthritic and didn’t move around a lot, would stare at the wall or shake throughout the day. After just a few weeks she showed changes. A year and a half later, she runs, has a full coat of hair, no arthritis, is happy etc. At 13+ this is outside the normative side of aging for a dog, especially one that had showed specific signs of aging pre-intervention.

Rapa stops the formation of AD. Also stops diabetes, Parkinson’s, arthritis, cancer etc. A medicine can’t be for longevity if you die from a disease…. I encourage everyone on the site to look at Rapamycin and it’s ability to not only stop AD, but give back the quality of life we all had when younger.

Mouse studies show that age does not matter for the medicine to work. Administration of Rapa at mid life and older (65+) had the same longevity effects!
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Newtothis3/4 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:02 am When I started this thread, my hope was that people would learn about this prophylactic therapy for AD. I am thrilled to see that some people on this forum have taken the initiative to become informed and take control of their lives. Rapamycin treats AGING as a disease and slows or restores the natural process to earlier in life (25+) years. I have been on 12mg a week for 2.5 years, my wife (42) 6mg, my mom 69 (6mg) and my two dogs as well. The dogs are a great way to get some subjective observations as dogs age faster. My 13 year old golden was arthritic and didn’t move around a lot, would stare at the wall or shake throughout the day. After just a few weeks she showed changes. A year and a half later, she runs, has a full coat of hair, no arthritis, is happy etc. At 13+ this is outside the normative side of aging for a dog, especially one that had showed specific signs of aging pre-intervention.

Rapa stops the formation of AD. Also stops diabetes, Parkinson’s, arthritis, cancer etc. A medicine can’t be for longevity if you die from a disease…. I encourage everyone on the site to look at Rapamycin and it’s ability to not only stop AD, but give back the quality of life we all had when younger.

Mouse studies show that age does not matter for the medicine to work. Administration of Rapa at mid life and older (65+) had the same longevity effects!
Thanks for the update, Newtothis34. I am always excited to read posts in this thread. I have not tried rapamycin yet myself, but continue to watch the posts here with great interest. I need to “take the initiative and become informed “, as you say; it has been quite a while since I looked at the research.
Really great how you observed such dramatic improvements in your arthritic golden.
kiksuyapi
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kiksuyapi »

Just started to look into this topic because of this thread and first thing I found was "Rapamycin was used as a kind of original antifungal antibiotic, which is produced by Streptomyces hygroscopicus. Now it has been used in the prevention of transplant rejection because of its immunosuppressive effect. " No mention of dosage etc, but immunosuppression doesn't fit the picture here of a life extension agent. Am I missing something?
(from https://www.apexbt.com/rapamycin-sirolimus.html)
Newtothis3/4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Newtothis3/4 »

Rapamycin was found in the soil at Easter Island and was originally intended to be used as a cure for Athletes foot. Later, the immunosuppressive properties of Rapa were used to coat stents with heart attacks and to prevent organ transplant rejection. Further use of the drug has been for certain types of cancers and tumors. In recent years, the longevity field has seen the use of Rapa to slow natural aging through reduction of Mtor, leading to am increase of overall lifespan (around 12% give or take) and more importantly has the animal model continue with a healthy lifespan throughout its life. You can do a deep dive online but Dr. Alan Green has a great informative site. rapamycintherapy.com There is even a section dedicated to APOE4. My APOE4 status is what led me to Rapamycin. A drug which could be used (theoretically for people and proven for Apoe4 mice) to prevent AD by the same mechanism which inhibits cancer, Parkinson’s, arthritis etc. The reduction in Mtor.
Used once weekly, Rapa is an “immuno-invigorator”. Used daily for organ transplant it becomes an immunosuppressant (the opposite longevity effect desired).
kiksuyapi
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kiksuyapi »

Thanks Newtothis. Appreciate the clarity of your response and the care you took to make it.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

New research suggests that rapamycin may not work as intended, and only make things worse. Mouse study.
Rapamycin is approved to treat transplant and cancer patients. Publicly available data suggest that the drug might also improve learning and memory in aged mice. However, the UT Health San Antonio researchers observed that after rapamycin treatment, a protein called Trem2 (triggering receptor expressed on myeloid cells 2) is dramatically diminished. Trem2 is present in microglia, which are immune cells in the brain and spinal cord.

"Trem2 is a receptor located on the surface of the microglia, and it enables these cells to engulf and degrade β-amyloid," said study senior author Manzoor Bhat, PhD. "Loss of Trem2 in microglia impairs the vital function of amyloid degradation, which in turn causes a buildup of β-amyloid plaques."

Findings from this study may give the medical world a reason to pause testing rapamycin on anyone at risk of Alzheimer's disease. "Rapamycin may have benefits in terms of suppressing the immune system and as a tumor suppressor," Dr. Bhat said. "But in a situation where it negatively impacts the expression of Trem2 or other critical proteins, it may have a detrimental effect. We caution that rapamycin's benefits in β-amyloid-associated Alzheimer's must be studied more carefully."
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 130950.htm
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

SusanJ wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:44 am New research suggests that rapamycin may not work as intended, and only make things worse. Mouse study.
Findings from this study may give the medical world a reason to pause testing rapamycin on anyone at risk of Alzheimer's disease. "Rapamycin may have benefits in terms of suppressing the immune system and as a tumor suppressor," Dr. Bhat said. "But in a situation where it negatively impacts the expression of Trem2 or other critical proteins, it may have a detrimental effect. We caution that rapamycin's benefits in β-amyloid-associated Alzheimer's must be studied more carefully."
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 130950.htm
Hi SusanJ, I always check when there is something new on this thread since the information presented about rapamycin, including first person accounts, has been compelling. There has a lot written about the benefits. I appreciate your posting this, looking at possible downside.
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

SusanJ, the study you mention does not apply to most of us, according to Allan Green. Here is his response to the study:

"Microglial mTOR Activation Upregulates Trem2 and Enhances B-amyloid plaque clearance in the 5XFAD AD Model", Shi, 7 June 22.

The 5XFAD mouse model has 5 defective genes from familial AD patients. It results in mouse with massive accumulation of amyloid. Anything that reduces clearance of amyloid in this mouse model is bad.

Rapamycin decreases activity of macrophages and microglia and decreases removal of amyloid. Rapamycin is not good for this 5XFAD mouse.

99.9% of AD cases do not have these defective genes.

This is not an aplicable AD model to persons who have risk due to ApoE4 allele.

This case should be seen as only applicable to the 0.1% of cases with familial autosomal dominant AD.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR