gum pockets

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
JD2020
Contributor
Contributor

gum pockets

Post by JD2020 »

My mouth is in a constant state of being on the verge of requiring more periodontal surgery. I had a couple of good visits, to the surprise of everyone, after implementing brushing with dentalcidin, using Lanto sinus, and oil pulling with bulletproof. The improvement has reversed itself. I could feel that my mouth is different, but I broke 3 ribs at the end of January, and it is not the only part of my body that feels inflamed. I hoped that I just had systemic inflammation that would calm down as healing continued, but I have one pocket that is a 7. The hygienist did not provide any hope that I would be able to do anything about the presumably bad bacteria living in that (and other) gum pockets.

I reread the information in Julie's book and can add the dentalcidin mouthwash and another probiotic. Has anyone had any success turning this sort of situation around without resorting to the heavy antibiotics that I will have to take and the surgery I will have to endure (again)? Is there any way to get healthy products into the gum pockets without relying upon the periodontist? Thank you for any help.
J11
Contributor
Contributor

Re: gum pockets

Post by J11 »

JD2020, I have done quite well in maintaining my oral health.
Here are some of the strategies that I have used.

Waterflosser. This is a good one. Dentists use this device for a reason! It is quite effective and actually enjoyable to include in your daily routine. It can detach food particles etc. that just do not often seem to want to dislodge with a simple toothbrush.

Periogen. This one seemed to me to be highly effective. When I was starting off and doing some loading dosing, I held back the rinse water and reused a few times and held it for a minute or two each time. While this caused slight mouth ulcers it also demonstrated to me how effective this product can be. I noticed while using it that I was happier (a mouthwash with anti-depressant effects?) This is one of those dental product where you can just feel that it is working; lots of times with me I don't quite "get" whether a product is actually effective-- with Periogen it seemed clearly true to me that it was helping to enhance my periodontal health (even though I do not have any severe problems with my gums).

Some other tricks that I have used include electric toothbrushes (mechanical and sonic), regular dental floss, also colored tabs to detect plaque, as well as a dental scalar, probiotics and various type of toothpaste including nanoformulations. Hope these ideas help- I am actually very satisfied with the results that I have achieved with these interventions.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

JD2020 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:11 pm I reread the information in Julie's book and can add the dentalcidin mouthwash and another probiotic. Has anyone had any success turning this sort of situation around without resorting to the heavy antibiotics that I will have to take and the surgery I will have to endure (again)? Is there any way to get healthy products into the gum pockets without relying upon the periodontist? Thank you for any help.
I have not ever reversed pockets of 7 but I have reduced my 5's. I use Dentalcidin toothpaste and sometimes use the rinse. I also dissolve a Hyperbiotic Pro-Dental Oral Probiotic in my mouth right before sleep. (sometimes two which they recommend on the label for more intensive intervention). I read about them on this website and have been happy with the results. Importance of adding healthy bacteria has been emphasized in some podcasts I've heard.
My dentist recommended waiting at least 30 minutes after using the Dentalcidin before using the probiotic.

J11's reply to you reminds me that I should break out my water flosser again. It really does seem to help.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
JD2020
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JD2020 »

Thank you both for the responses and specific instructions. Having something to do helps me feel less powerless. I always use the waterpik and sonicare, so I'm on top of that. But I have been using the expensive lanto sinus probiotic immediately after dentacidin, so I have probably been wasting that money. I will check out your other suggestions right now. Thank you again.
xactly
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by xactly »

I use a Waterpik every night after brushing with an Oral B electric toothbrush and flossing. I add about 1/2 to 1 tsp of baking soda to the Waterpik tank and make sure to work my way around the gum line. My dentist says my gums are in great shape. When I stop adding the baking soda for a few days, I start to get bleeding when I floss, so I'm pretty sure the baking soda is what is keeping bacteria at bay.

If you use baking soda (or any other additive), you should flush the tank with a little plain water afterward. Otherwise, it might clog the lines.