Harmane - A molecule you need to know

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
AerwykF
Contributor
Contributor

Harmane - A molecule you need to know

Post by AerwykF »

What! You don't know about Harmane? Well, neither did I until I started having
essential tremors in my hand. It's a neurotoxin that affects the brain - especially
memory consolidation.

I was looking for a way to quell my trembling fingers. I do a fair amount of work
that requires a steady hand and fingers. Therefore, off I went to my favorite medical
resource; Pubmed.

I learned a lot about Harmane - You don't want it!!! It's bad enough that you may be
suffering from AD because Harmane makes things worse. It attacks the memory
consolidation capability of the brain among other things. Note this small quote from
one of the studies in the Pubmed library below,

"Animals were given pre-training injection of harmane in the passive avoidance test in
order to determine the learning function. Harmane treatment decreased the
retention latency significantly and dose dependently, which indicates an impairment
in learning. In this study, harmane impaired working memory in three panel runway
test and learning in passive avoidance test."

This is just a hint. You need to look into it further. Just type 3 words into your search engine, "pubmed harmane memory". You will get lots of info. You won't like a lot of it.
I didn't and neither did my wife. AD restrictions on our diet is bad enough, but this is
even worse.

Some of the food to be concerned about.... cooked meats - especially chicken. Here's
a site, you can check out, "https://essentialtremortreatment.com/me ... youre-guy/".

Good hunting and may you find something extra to smile about today,

Aerwyk
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Harmane - A molecule you need to know

Post by floramaria »

AerwykF wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:05 am .You will get lots of info. You won't like a lot of it.
I didn't and neither did my wife. AD restrictions on our diet is bad enough, but this is
even worse.
Some of the food to be concerned about.... cooked meats - especially chicken. Here's
a site, you can check out, "https://essentialtremortreatment.com/me ... youre-guy/".
Good hunting and may you find something extra to smile about today,
Aerwyk
Uhh-ohhh!! In coffee too! I was very interested in reading this since many years ago I had resting tremor which is usually associated with Parkinson’s Disease.
This is one of those instances where it is hard to balance the benefits versus risks. For now, I’m staying with coffee.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
AerwykF
Contributor
Contributor

Post by AerwykF »

Greetings floramaria,

Well, my wife, who can not let a pot of coffee go to waste, and I cut our consumption
down to one cup a day. Worse than that our favorite animal meat was chicken. That is
as bad as coffee or maybe worse.

I wonder what Stavia might have to say about this molecule. I have become rather
enamored of her discourses.
xactly
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by xactly »

AerwykF wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:05 am What! You don't know about Harmane? Well, neither did I until I started having
essential tremors in my hand. It's a neurotoxin that affects the brain - especially
memory consolidation.
Thanks so much for posting this! I have some hand tremors that have become more pronounced as I have gotten older. My son has a much more severe problem with tremors, but the doctors he saw when he was younger just blew the issue off. They weren't really interested in diagnosing or treating it.

I never heard of harmane before, but this gives me hope, especially since most of it is ingested and not produced in the body. I'm going to do some research and see what steps we can take to reduce consumption.

Thanks again!